Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

After I die

Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 5-Jul-2019 15:43 Message #4743754
Not a pleasant subject but one we all have to think about at some stage as we grow older. The cemeteries are becoming overcrowded so my own thoughts are for cremation. Are cremations environmentally friendly.
A woodland burial does appeal but it wont make much difference to me when i'm gone.

Do others think about it or even make arrangements and pay for a funeral before they die?
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 5-Jul-2019 15:58 Message #4743755
I want to be surprised.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Jul-2019 16:45 Message #4743757
It was the subject of a phone in on the radio this morning about the cemeteries running out of room.
A Professor said the empty spaces at the sides of motorways could be used to bury people.
Not sure I would fancy being covered in litter or having a bottle of pee landing on me. not that I would know anything about it lol.
I like the biopod idea where you are cremated and a tree seed is planted in your ashes and then this is planted in a woodland.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Jul-2019 18:51 Message #4743771
I prefer the idea of a woodland burial, with no embalming and just a shroud and a tree on top of me, I like the idea of becoming part of a tree. Cremation takes a lot of energy, there have been ideas about using the heat to create electricity but people got squeemish and thought it disrespectful, personally I can't see why? I saw another idea to build barrows with niches for cremation urns, I could cope with that too, I don't think roadside burial is a very good idea, I think it would be traumatic for road workers doing widening and improvements to come across a corpse, also many motorway verges are wildlife corridors and I could see situations where people could be dug up by animals and that the contant disturbance of the embankments could cause landslides in very wet weather.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 5-Jul-2019 19:04 Message #4743773
Some states in America now allow 'human composting'.

Not sure if the UK does. :-)
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 5-Jul-2019 22:16 Message #4743820
There is space available in a double depth grave (containing my late husband) if my children decide on burial. It could alternatively be used to deposit ashes. I paid for the double grave because it was cheaper as my husband was living elsewhere when he died and was classified as "a stranger". If I bought space for me a well I got a hefty discount, as a resident. My husband was Scottish. He would have appreciated my reasoning.

However, once I am dead it will be entirely up to my girls what they decide to do with my remains.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 5-Jul-2019 23:02 Message #4743843
There are, or were, groups of people who would get together to discuss such things and more; the groups they ran were called Death Cafe's, I'm considering setting one up here.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 5-Jul-2019 23:48 Message #4743852
That would be a real improvement Terry.
Can we have proper Coffee, I like Latte, I have had 4 today, sat in the sun.
Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 6-Jul-2019 01:07 Message #4743861
There is a natural burial ground on the top of the local cliff. I would like my ashes to be scattered there in natural surroundings overlooking the sea. Then I can really rest in peace:)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 6-Jul-2019 07:07 Message #4743876
There are a lot of burial woodlands now but cremation is the only way forward.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 6-Jul-2019 14:02 Message #4743927
That will have to be the answer eventually.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Jul-2019 06:03 Message #4743986
My daughters are only 12 and 16 but we have chatted about death and funerals and the three of us think cremation is cleaner and better than being buried.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 7-Jul-2019 20:08 Message #4744124
I do fancy a woodland burial but it doesn’t make sense because I won’t know anything about it.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 7-Jul-2019 20:18 Message #4744133
It’s good you can talk about it with the kids Raach.

Male
SQL  Male  Devon 7-Jul-2019 22:42 Message #4744160
Beach - 5-Jul-2019 19:04

Some states in America now allow 'human composting'.

Not sure if the UK does. :-)

Not yet but it is being considered. Some of the chemicals used can be nasty so controls will be tight.

SQL
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 9-Jul-2019 14:51 Message #4744284
I visited a woodland burial site yesterday and it was a beautiful tranquil setting. They also did coffee mornings for those visiting and were licenced to hold weddings there.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 9-Jul-2019 16:35 Message #4744290
If they do christenings you could have the full package from wedding to funeral.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Jul-2019 18:43 Message #4744298
Why not do christening's/naming ceremonies too, churches do?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 06:52 Message #4744349
I visited a woodland burial site yesterday and it was a beautiful tranquil setting.

Nice for relatives.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »