Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is obesity or smoking worse?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 3-Jul-2019 10:46 Message #4743329
Cancer Research UK says bowel, kidney, ovarian and liver cancers are more likely to have been caused by being overweight than by smoking tobacco.

Both are major problems but how should they be tackled or should we just ignore?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 3-Jul-2019 11:35 Message #4743353
I don't think they can be ignored but most people, even smokers, accept smoking kills you whereas it might be difficult convincing fat people of the same. I have several big friends and they would laugh it off.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 3-Jul-2019 13:11 Message #4743371
I put on a lot of weight about ten years ago and felt very unhealthy as was soon diagnosed as obese. Being obese causes so many other problems but I love eating so it's difficult to control but I have to.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 3-Jul-2019 13:41 Message #4743378
I feel sorry for fatties who smoke like troopers.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 3-Jul-2019 14:18 Message #4743383
I think obesity is worst, as in my opinion, it must have mental effects on people too. I'd guess it harms people's confidence aswell.

I'm not sure either, but doesn't obesity related illnesses cost more on NHS?

I don't think we should ignore it. At thes same time all I could suggest is more PE, and nutrition advice at school.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Jul-2019 19:08 Message #4743479
I think people should be taught to cook and shop at school, it seems that so many people don't know how to cook even a basic meal anymore and eat chicken ping all the time, there should also be more cookery lessons available for adults who want to learn, but I guess thats all part of the decimation of adult education services.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 3-Jul-2019 20:31 Message #4743501
Absolutely wonderoushen. When our children leave school they should be capable cooks with a good knowledge of sensible diets.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 3-Jul-2019 21:32 Message #4743506
Is obesity or smoking worse?

Being a smoker I know the risks I'm taking, am aware of the social, or anti social aspects of my addiction and the health risks. That said, from an emotional and mental health aspect I would think obesity is far worse, and I'm not sure if the comment was made in jest or seriousness, but to be obese and a smoker I could imagine is far worse.

How should they be tackled or should we just ignore?

We as a society ignore at our peril; we may think it affects only those who are obese or who smoke, but the facts are as a society both issues cost not only financially but in many practical ways as well, disposal of cadavers is just one thing.
I'm a great believer in teaching from a young age, ditch a lot of the subjects already being taught and concentrate on what makes a socially aware and contributing individual with compassion for themselves and others.
Something often overlooked is that many (not all) people who are obese or smoke actuall dislike themselves to the point of self-hatred...that's not good for a cohesive society.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 3-Jul-2019 22:26 Message #4743510
If you are obese or smoke and hate yourself for it that will hardly ever help to give anything up. The likelihood of being miserable is that you smoke more or eat more. As you say terry it needs to be taught from an early age. There is little point in leaving school with a good academic education if it means you will be miserable and die far to early.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 3-Jul-2019 22:37 Message #4743515
im not sure that the fat younger ones [generally speaking] are bothered about it judging by the way they dress and have it all on show, they certainly dont appear to have any shame.
to be obese is, worryingly, becoming the norm.

would i rather be obese or smoke ?
i,d go for being a smoker and hope to get lucky...we,ve all heard about someones grandad who chain smoked until he was 99 and never had a days illness [does genetics have a part to play?].
being obese has a legion of potential illnesses to shorten life expectancy...just expecting that little heart to move the huge carcass around for one, its like using a lawnmower engine to power a rolls royce.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 4-Jul-2019 07:06 Message #4743546
Smoking is bad enough for health but obesity is a much bigger problem. It’s more of a financial strain on the NHS because it brings so many other illnesses with it and so many more are suffering with it. We need education on diet and this should begin at home but it needs to be taught in school from day one and possibly invite parents in for talks on children’s diets otherwise obesity will pass from one generation to the next.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Jul-2019 09:50 Message #4743570
I noticed there was a lot of talk about sugar taxes last night, but I think sugar is only part of the problem, fats and the type of fats one eats is important so is fibre. So many of the foods I used to think of as treats when I was younger seem to be everyday foods now, crisps, burgers, hot dogs, sausage rolls and ice cream, theres so much stodge, potatoes always seem to have to be coated in fat to be acceptable either as chips or roasties, theres nothing wrong with either of them, but ordinary baked boiled or mashed potatoes are just as nice. Prepacked salads seem to coated in acidic fatty glop too, I think people need to eat more "real" foods, made from proper ingredients, with slow cookers, air cookers, microwaves, and pressure cookers surely its never been easier to cook good food quickly? If you batch cook and freeze theres something for everyone.

The other thing I think is that parents should stop pandering to childrens fussy eating habits, I told mine to pick 5 things each they really didn't like and I wouldn't serve them, but they had to eat everything else and new foods we'd see about. They didn't like it especially my son who was fussy, but he actually thanked for it when he came home from his first term at uni, disgusted that there were people older than him who would only drink coke and eat breakfast cereal, burgers and pizza.

Shops need to make it easier for people to choose healthy options too, fewer kits and prepack and more ingredients especially fresh fruit and veg.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 4-Jul-2019 16:52 Message #4743610
A very good post wonderoushen and I agree with all of it.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Jul-2019 06:13 Message #4743703
Ditto.

Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 5-Jul-2019 10:36 Message #4743742
I know a number of smokers who say they would eat more and balloon out if they stopped smoking but they have left it too late and have already ballooned so not much hope for them.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 5-Jul-2019 22:26 Message #4743827
i did put on 1 1/2 stone when i stopped smoking.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Jul-2019 22:47 Message #4743834
I’m surprised how many kids come out of school and light up.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 5-Jul-2019 23:27 Message #4743850
It’s worrying when you see school children smoking or drinking. It’s as if their lives are starting to end before they begin.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 6-Jul-2019 15:08 Message #4743931
I agree Mark a lot of school kids pass my house on their way home and they use the quiet footpath alongside to stop and smoke. I haven’t seen any drink.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 9-Jul-2019 14:48 Message #4744283
Did I hear something on the radio about smoking in the UK being banned? I think by 2040 but didnt quite catch the details.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 06:51 Message #4744348
Did I hear something on the radio about smoking in the UK being banned

Yes it was a BBC radio topic. However good it might be if nobody smoked it would never be enforceable.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 10-Jul-2019 09:51 Message #4744377
Smokers would buy it on the black market which would save them money and the government wouldn't get the taxes.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »