Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Street Performers

and suchlike..

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Jun-2019 16:01 Message #4742036
With Summer approaching, at least it's meant to be somewhere nearish, there are usually more street performers out and about...Are there any good ones that you have seen?..Any type..musicians, acrobats, human statues etc

There are usually pianos dotted about, for people to have a tinkle on ( or something like that ). I saw some fairly decent performances on the street pianos a couple of years ago in Gloucester, and also some terrible attempts, but any good ones may make someones day..

On the internet there are loads of them, on youtube for instance..Some railway stations and airports have pianos all the time I think, and there are some amazing impromptu type performances..

It's often strange seeing a great performance, and the contrast of not many people taking any notice, going about their business, looking for their flight info etc, whilst an amazing performer is doing their stuff.

A couple of examples on youtube..One is called HENRI'S BOOGIE' and is 6m 36s long, and the other is called 'The Best Boogie Woogie Piano Jam', a bit of a youtube poster type claim, but pretty good anyway...and the second one has a pretty good girl drummer, or 'floor tiler' in this case.

Links to follow: if anyone wants to see them.

Anyway,do you have any favourites?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Jun-2019 16:02 Message #4742037
1st link

https://youtu.be/h86nJUHrJ1E

2nd Link

https://youtu.be/k7_IT37AwUQ
Female
Lady  Female  North Yorkshire 16-Jun-2019 16:52 Message #4742040
Human statues give me the creeps - if I see them, I steer well clear of them.

Anything else, if they show some effort or talent, I take an interest - maybe stop and watch for a while and make a donation to recompense them for their entertainment.

There are sometimes some great street entertainers to be found in York City - I think maybe they have to apply for pitches/entertainment Licences there but not sure.
I know when I used to help run a brass band, we had to have a street entertainment licence and always had to obtain permission from the local council for each individual performance and pay a fee.

We’ve just been treated to an impromptu entertainment session by the owner of a Taverna on a small Greek Island - we only popped in for a beer and a sandwich but started chatting to the owner about some photos of famous musicians he had on his wall - turns out this elderly guy used to be a session musician 40 years ago, so he brought out his guitar and started playing us all kinds of familiar golden oldies ... it was great! ... and, of course, we stayed and ordered another round of drinks ;-)
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 16-Jun-2019 17:37 Message #4742043
The way to spend a pleasant few hours being serenaded to , how fortunate you were
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 16-Jun-2019 17:40 Message #4742044
Meant to say too, have seen the odd magicians act in the past , like Houdini locked inside a straight jacket and hung up , to have to get out of, which was successful .Tried to see if the key was being used as intended,
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Jun-2019 18:08 Message #4742051
We don't have many on the island but in Bangor there seem to be a few electric buskers selling CD's, I think that electric busking is somehow cheating, although it could be the sort of music electric busers play, mainly C&W, which I really loathe. I used to like visiting Bath and Oxford when I lived down that way, they always had really good street performers.

Lady I know what you mean about living statues, they give me the creeps too, almost as much as clowns do.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 16-Jun-2019 22:36 Message #4742081
I love seeing street entertainers and buskers, although like you W'hen I do think any playing to backing tapes is somehow cheating. Not so keen on the human statues though that suddenly come to life, if somebody throws a penny or two.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 16-Jun-2019 23:53 Message #4742105
I once went to Sherwood Forest visitor centre, I was entertained by a potato (potato man).
On the next stage was a fire act, this guy was actually setting his pants on fire, while he was wearing them!
Never seen acts like that since.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Jun-2019 10:36 Message #4742117
It must take a lot of skill to remain in pose without moving for so long, even without blinking, but I think I've seen to much Dr Who for me to be comfortable around living statues, it took me years to go near a daffodil after watching one of the Tom Baker ones as a child.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 17-Jun-2019 21:59 Message #4742186
I love street entertainers, especially those playing electric violins or electric sax ... beautiful sounds. In Birmingham city centre we also have soap-boxers that preach about some issue or other and religious preachers/chanters going about their blessings.

I haven't been into the city for a good while, thanks for the thread, I'm going to put it on my 'to do' list for the summer hols :)
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 18-Jun-2019 09:05 Message #4742213
We have great guitarist ( his Shadows tunes are brilliant ) and trumpet player who always gathers a crows...

Also Charley Chaplin who who blacks up like a statue and stand there all afternoon twiddling his cane etc to music.

Then of course we have Celeb who has his own facebook page...the one and only novelty of the East Coast that confuses and bemuses holiday makers , and thats the dreadful Puppet Man...lol check him out...he also performs ( word used tongue in cheek ) in Norwich..
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 18-Jun-2019 15:52 Message #4742266
One rather likes the street beggars. Perhaps the ultimate street performers.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 18-Jun-2019 23:46 Message #4742328
Hey Clocky, I go to Birmingham sometimes.
Near the bullring I saw a drummer last time, full drum kit.
Says it solves his main problem (somewhere to practice).
Good idea, he makes some money too.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 24-Jun-2019 08:44 Message #4742667
i like watching the street entertainers especially around Covent Garden and the South Bank. This weekend there was a unicyclist eating fire which was looked quite dodgy.

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Jul-2019 06:06 Message #4743699
I love seeing street entertainers and buskers

Me too.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 5-Jul-2019 10:38 Message #4743743
Listening to an attractive young lady playing the harp this morning. Very good.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Jul-2019 22:54 Message #4743839
Some street musicians are very talented.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 6-Jul-2019 06:50 Message #4743869
Listening to an attractive young lady playing the harp this morning. Very good.

Easy on the eyes and ears.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 6-Jul-2019 08:20 Message #4743896
Whenever I’m down in Covent Garden I watch the street performers for ages.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 06:42 Message #4744342
Whenever I’m down in Covent Garden I watch the street performers for ages.

They’re great in the well known places but do many get good performers in their home towns?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Jul-2019 20:12 Message #4744474
We rarely get anyone performing in the street. Our streets are very quiet.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 11-Jul-2019 18:42 Message #4744591
Some would be glad of that Raach. I know street musicians drive some shop owners mad.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 17-Jul-2019 06:53 Message #4745315
I like watching street performers and often sit around doing so when I take a trip up to London as I often do during the summer.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 18-Jul-2019 06:23 Message #4745439
I watched one of those live statue thingies yesterday - he just stood there - talk about money for old rope.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 22-Jul-2019 19:18 Message #4745937
I would like to see some of the 3D street art...A lot of it seems amazing..

I've seen loads of it online...but never seen it 'live'..

They do all sorts of scenarios, for example, like you're on a cliff edge, or about to fall down a massive hole...or being eaten by a shark...

Because it's 3D, you have to be stood at a certain point to get the effect...go round the other side and it looks weird...I love them..

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »