Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Beethoven

Anyone else a fan

Female
moonlightglow  Female  Cheshire 15-Jun-2019 19:39 Message #4741977
I love all his compositions but particularly fond of his Sonata's

Incidentally its 250 years Celebration of him next year if I'm correct
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 16-Jun-2019 08:11 Message #4742005
Some good. Some bad. A brilliant mind.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 18-Jun-2019 10:24 Message #4742221
Some of the many beautiful moments in Beethoven orchestral pieces spring to mind, with some images that I have:-

Violin Concerto, 1st movement, especially where the solo violin plays high while the orchestra plays low leading up to persistent timpani beats, and the cadenza where the solo violin plays 2 of the themes at the same time

Piano Concerto no. 5 (The Emperor), its sparkingly brilliant 1st movement, and restful 2nd movement which makes me think of lying on grass under a tree.

Symphony 3, 4th movement, which after delicate variations gets a steam locomotive roaring through.

Symphony 5, the passage leading from a tunnel into the bright daylight of the last movement.

If anyone's interested enough I'll find those passages in YouTube and for certain performances state their minutes & seconds.

One criticism that I have is that in some pieces the last movement has too much repetition of the theme. Ludwig vanman should have asked my advice to avoid that.
(Yes you're right, he was born 249 years ago.)
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 18-Jun-2019 12:29 Message #4742243
‘Ode to Joy’ is brilliant,the only negative part I think is once you get it in your head it’s hard not to play it over and over in your mind.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »