Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Anyone watching Summer of Rockets?

If so what do you think?

Male
tim3003  Male  Suffolk 14-Jun-2019 16:40 Message #4741900
The series started really slowly I thought, with several plot-lines which seemed unrelated, and I found it irritating. However by episode 4 of 6 the strands seem to be coming together - as they obviously were going to - so it's getting better. The problem is that I can now see how contrived it was to start 4 seemingly separate plots which turn out all to be linked..
Male
Goodgeezer  Male  West Yorkshire 15-Jun-2019 17:11 Message #4741962
I am watching it as well, I quite like it but then I do love convoluted plots and stories. There has been some good stuff on recently. "Chernobyl" was a good and. to a degree, frightening watch. If you invent something, please make sure you know what to do with it if it goes wrong!!! Also, "The Looming Tower" is quite good and does show the destructive rivalry between the FBI and CIA. I'm a big fan of the BBC4 stuff on saturday nights, Hot on the heels of "Cardinal" came two new episodes of "Inspector Montalbano". Although the way his beat up Fiat morphed into a brand new one was a tad odd!
Male
tim3003  Male  Suffolk 28-Jun-2019 21:44 Message #4742936
So now I get it. It was another Brideshead, or Remains of the Day; ie a solid poke at the upper classes and how they have become decadent, out of touch, ineffectual and dangerous. All the deliberately chosen strands of racism, animal rights, anti-elitism and the coming of the middle-class businessman came together. Well, I suppose in 1959 the message was fresh. But I'm not sure it is now.. Or maybe Poliakof was directing his ire at the Brexit situation? Could a backward looking empirist view end up being as calamatous now as it almost did in his imagined world?
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 28-Jun-2019 22:09 Message #4742941
I got it on catch up having been told how good it was. I was a bit disappointed really - the end seemed so weak

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »