Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A Royal spud thread

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Jun-2019 14:56 Message #4741891
Jersey Royals are quite highly regarded as a really tasty new potato...some people say the best...

I used to like the real small kidney shaped ones, the smaller and kidnier shaped, the better. but they don't seem to 'do' them like that anymore, certainly not in the supermarkets anyway...Even the ones labelled 'Baby Jersey Royals' are not that baby, or kidney...

I often have thought the bigger ones are overrated, although this year, I must say that I have enjoyed them more than the last few years...

Now with the season sort of coming to an end, what are the best tastiest alternatives..that look good as well.

It'll be a matter of taste, I suppose, but has anyone got any favourites...some even better than Jersey Royals perhaps..

I think another name for Jersey Royals is 'International Kidney'...for any growers and experts around, are 'International Kidney' able to be grown anywhere, and are they available when Jersey Royals aren't?
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 14-Jun-2019 15:36 Message #4741893
The Winston is tasty.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Jun-2019 18:52 Message #4741910
I have grown them and I didn't get on with them, I think I picked them to late and maybe they didn't like my soil as much as other varieties. As to their season, it depends on when you plant them, if you live in the south then you'll most likely be able to plant earlier than us in the north so your spuds will be earlier. I'd say try looking for locally grown produce, not only should it be fresher but a variety that suited to your local areas growing conditions. The best jacketing variety I've ever had is Marfona, they come out all light and fluffy.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 14-Jun-2019 20:50 Message #4741921
Oooh I have a bit of a potato fetish, they were my favourite thing to grow when I had my allotment.
I used to grow heritage varieties and ones that you rarely see in the shops - the best for flavour I ever grew were British Queens (they are popular in Ireland I think).
There are hundreds of varieties of potatoes all with particular qualities, supermarkets are crap for spuds, they just label them whites or reds and that's it...
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Jun-2019 21:13 Message #4741925
Yes Jersey Royals are the variety International Kidney. I'm growing this 1st early variety this year for the first time.
I don't expect them to be as nice as the Royals, as the soil on Jersey is so special, but I tink the trick is not leaving them in the ground too long.
Only 8 plants, and although they were slow to start because of he chilly April, they've all now come up and doing okay.
I've bought a few bags of Jersey Royals and they have been large this year so maybe the weather was mild early on in the CI and they've grown quicker.
I think the smaller ones (with the skins you just rub off) are Jersey "mids" which they obviously harvest earlier in the season but you don't see them as much now, so maybe the growers just focus on leaving them to grow a bit longer.

I grew Arran Pilots last year which were a nice potato. And this year grown an older variety called Nicola which are supposed to be a nice tasting potato.
But you can't go wrong with Charlotte's.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 15-Jun-2019 22:05 Message #4741985
I used to love Jersey Royals and eagerly awaited them appearing in the shops. Now they seem to have lost their taste.
Then I saw a documentary about them. Only two farms now grow them outdoors and the rest are grown under poly tunnels and are probably forced on to be the first to get them in the shops first.
Albert Bartlett who supply most of the spuds here now opened a 4 million processing centre on Jersey to deal with the Jersey Royals so its big business and we all know what that means.
Years ago my dad used to tip trailer loads of cow muck on the garden before ploughing it in and the first spuds out the ground were as good as Jersey Royals, don't know what make they were though
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Jun-2019 11:20 Message #4742018
Some good information, thank you...I may try experimenting with some varieties...I've nowhere to grow them at the moment, but plenty of space to eat them...

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »