Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

If we were to have an elected

head of state

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Jun-2019 10:57 Message #4741702
Instead of the monarchy and it was a ceremonial position rather than a political one, like they have in Ireland as opposed to America or Russia, how would you chose the pool of candidates to stop it being either a popularity contest of reality tv "stars", or it being handed around ex prime ministers as a sort of leaving present?

I'm an instinctive republican, but I just hate the idea of a political president such as they have in many other countries, or the idea of a President Blair, yuk.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 12-Jun-2019 11:18 Message #4741707
I'm not sure how we would do that. Looking at other countries, they all seem to come from a political background.

I'm quite happy with the monarchy we have as they really don't have a political role. I'm not sure how Charles will fare as King, but he has said that he will drop his personal views when he takes on the role. I think they are all well aware of their duty and role in the country, as they have been brought up to see that as their future.

President Blair? … President Boris/Gove???

I take your point ...
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 12-Jun-2019 11:53 Message #4741714
I don't see how you could avoid a President Blair or President someone else you don't like.
The last thing this country needs is to lose even more stability - why on earth would you want us to become a republic?...
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 12-Jun-2019 11:58 Message #4741715
One way that would start a civil war that would make Brexit look like a tea party.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 12-Jun-2019 13:51 Message #4741722
The nearest we got to that was Tony Blair and we all know how it turned out.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 12-Jun-2019 14:09 Message #4741725
We would probably end up with a "Mr Bercow"

Now that the royals have become more down to earth and with fewer seeming to be "hangers on" it is probably the best of all alternatives.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Jun-2019 18:50 Message #4741742
Countries like I reland have a ceremonial head of state with no political power.

I or you might not like the next monarch, at least with an elected head of state one could rid of them without needing a revolution or other constitutional crisis. I agree that the Queen provides stability, but what when she dies? I posted this after reading the other thread about what it will be like when the Queen dies or abidicates, this is one of the alternatives. I don't have anything against the royal family and I'd be more than happy for one or more to stand for president.

Don't get yourselves so worked up folks, I'm just asking a question.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 13-Jun-2019 22:15 Message #4741838
How would I choose the pool of candidates for a ceremonial position? probably go 'round some of the charities and pick the pool from those who actually work 'on the front line', there would need to be a test to see how much they know about world affairs.
I'll be honest I haven't a clue how it works in Ireland so my opinion is probably invalid.
As for ex. politicians...I'd pack 'em off abroad and ban them from ever having anything to do with this country or it's politics again, the majority can probably well afford to retire to some fancy country.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 13-Jun-2019 23:05 Message #4741858
wonderoushen - 12-Jun-2019 18:50

Countries like Ireland have a ceremonial head of state with no political power.

The Irish 'head of state' has duties not unlike those of our Queen in terms of appointing the leader of the Government and signing bills into law. Nominally our Queen has the right to refuse to sign bills passed by Westminster into law but the constitutional crisis that would cause has never been tested.

Any head of state would have to have some duties and privileges or you might as well have a stuffed puppet brought out for special occasions. In reality the person running for this type of position would need a lot of money to campaign and have the right connections to get support so it's President Tony Blair or John Bercow or Alan Sugar or Simon Cowell - take your pick. I'd still prefer the monarchy.

SQL
Male
tim3003  Male  Suffolk 14-Jun-2019 20:22 Message #4741919
I don't think there is an answer. You either have a president who is the top politician, or you have a head of state who's a monarch. I think the Irish President is a ceremonial role and is elected, and but for the fact that the current one seems astonishingly to resemble a leprachaun I don't think he makes many waves. I'm a republicanist too and think the monarchy should go. I agree though that in practice it's rather hard to justify getting rid of it since everyone seems to love it and it brings in lots of foreign tourists.
If we were to have a head of state other than the monarch maybe it should be an appointment, like the highest of the New Year's Honours, the head of the House of Lords. Presumably it would go to David Attenborough?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Jun-2019 11:37 Message #4741942
I agree with you TIm, I'm a reluctant monarchist too, but I think this will become an issue again when the Queen dies.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 15-Jun-2019 12:49 Message #4741947
No it won't. Not here.
Although maybe throughout the Commonwealth it will, where the death of the Queen may be seen as a good time to leave it or for it to be disbanded completely.
I can see Australia, New Zealand and Canada moving to change their Head of State as they'd have to change the Queen's head on their coins anyway.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »