Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Who or how are you being tracked?

Smart phones . . . . do you really know?

Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 11-Jun-2019 01:22 Message #4741599
I picked up my mother from A&E at our local hospital. The following day I received a test message about my trip to A&E. I never answered it, but what annoyed me was this;
How did they know I had been to A&E as I spoke to no staff, gave no one my number?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Jun-2019 07:52 Message #4741600
It's what makes smartphones work, it's why we can use our phone to direct us right to the front door of our destination rather than use a paper map.
It's why the internet (google) is so fantastic at finding stuff for us - information and relevant knowledge right at our fingertips.
In order for that to happen "they" need to know where we are and what we are doing - We can't have it both ways...
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex 11-Jun-2019 08:46 Message #4741602
If your WiFi and Location is on then they can pick up your phone signal. It does seem strange though why they contacted you.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Jun-2019 09:08 Message #4741604
A lot of stores do it too, Aldi, Sainsbury's and B & Q have texted me asking for my feedback after a visit. Usually, as I'm walking back to my car...
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 11-Jun-2019 09:20 Message #4741605
In most cases it will be information given to them when you’ve shopped previously perhaps even years before. Most stores take this information when you shop.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 11-Jun-2019 10:12 Message #4741608
The trouble is people just can't be bothered to change (or bother to find out how to change) their phone's settings.
If you don't want to be tracked turn off the "location" setting and/or turn off the "roaming" on the phone.
As long as these settings are on your location can be pinpointed by triangulation from the masts that your mobile is "pinging" to.
Downside of turning these off is that the smart phone then becomes just a phone but you can't have it both ways.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Jun-2019 10:30 Message #4741609
If it was really smart, it would know when the owner is pissed off with it, and turn it's own things off
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jun-2019 11:41 Message #4741612
Do these things turn themselves on again if the phone has an update?

Not having a mobile let alone a smart phone I wonder how long it will be before I become officially suspicious, what must I be hiding that I don't want to be tracked?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jun-2019 11:43 Message #4741613
What tumbleweed says..
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Jun-2019 11:51 Message #4741615
" I wonder how long it will be before I become officially suspicious, what must I be hiding that I don't want to be tracked?"

I wouldn't worry, this place is as leaky as an old rusty sieve so "they" know exactly where you are and what you are upto...
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 11-Jun-2019 12:06 Message #4741618
TheSarcasticOne - 11-Jun-2019 01:22

I presume you mean 'text message'. What number did your message come from?

Your mother will have given her details to the hospital and you may be listed as nearest relative. Our local hospital always monitor patients leaving A&E so they are sure the patient has got secure transport home.

All mobile phones, when switched on, are trackable, you cannot defeat it. The service provider keeps a record of which mast(s) you are connected to and simple triangulation will give your position to within 100 metres. Many 'smartphones' (don't make me laugh) have GPS inbuilt and this can be allowed to transmit location back to the service provider to give position to within a couple of yards - this can be turned off (at present).

SQL
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 11-Jun-2019 12:34 Message #4741624
I went to an event on an industrial site a few weeks ago, it was in the evening so industrial units were closed,
I parked in a parking space outside 'Screw Fix'
next day I got a text message asking for feedback on my visit to 'Screw Fix'.

And Sunday I went in to Cambridge to the 'Town & Country Fair' on Parkers piece, I then got a text asking for feedback on my visit to Parkers Piece, so I pressed '5 stars' I then got the page of no end of places I had been to or near in the last few months. Some I'd only driven or walked past.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 11-Jun-2019 17:19 Message #4741640
I guess the guys that visit massage parlours need to turn their settings off.
I used to have a girlfriend that used to check my phone (pre smart phones).
I found out after we split up.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jun-2019 18:43 Message #4741651
I'm not ashamed of my views so "they" are welcome to read them and if "they're" watching me they must be very bored, or at least envious of my mum for having so many good home cooked dinners most nights of the week.

Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 11-Jun-2019 18:46 Message #4741653
My mother did not give the hospital my details.

My phone does not connect to WiFi, I keep it on 4G.

It seems it is time for a new phone with more security.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 11-Jun-2019 21:41 Message #4741665
If you keep it on 4G, does that mean you keep the roaming on.
If so what I said earlier.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 11-Jun-2019 21:57 Message #4741666
smart? phone? what's that then?
Jeeze and 4 G?
My ageing Nokia is still on the kitchen table half the time when I go out. :-)))
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Jul-2019 06:26 Message #4743711
Alexa. Spooky thing.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 5-Jul-2019 08:14 Message #4743720
My elderly neighbour (84) is not up to date on technical developments. Understandably so. Not many of us younger ones are either. A relation or friend got him a mobile phone for emergency purposes. He saw me working on my car and came and sat on my garden wall to have a chat as he sometimes does. The conversation went like this. Please understand, this is written in the Suffolk language.
‘There’s’ a lot on ‘em about, ent there?’
I casually look around for ‘em, and see nothing out of the ordinary.
He goes on to say, ‘They’re keepin’ ‘n’ oy on ya’.
Again, I look around to see just who is keeping an eye on me. Still nothing.
‘There’s loads on ‘em up there’ he continues.
‘Loads of what’, I ask.
‘Saterloits’, he answers. ‘There’s hundreds of ‘em up there, keepin’ track ‘a’ what y’ up to’.
I’m pretty sure that no one is slightly interested in what I’m up to, unless Tesco are now doing an expensive survey to see how many times I visit their supermarket.
He goes on to tell me he’d ‘bin out harf th’ noite, watcin’ ‘em go over’.
Apparently, he has a ‘Noo mobul foon, ‘an ass got GPS on ‘ut’, so unknown agencies can tell where he is.
Technology. F*cking old peoples heads up since 1975.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 5-Jul-2019 08:27 Message #4743721
Nothing to hide? why worry? who would be interested in my little life?

Wonder if that's what the North Korean people say? or the East Germans when the Stazi were watching their 'little life'? or numerous other countries that operate a watch on their citizens?
Can't have it both ways? I don't want it both ways, I want what has been offered, I want the freedom to roam. I'm happy to tell my nearest and dearest, sometimes even casual aquaintances, what I'm doing or when I'm doing it, but multi national companies or public services are not my nearest and dearest. They are invading my private space when they promise me freedom.
We can't have it both ways, so we are happy to lambast a nation or an ideaology that controls it's populace - Russia or North Korea for example - but happy to justify companies/organisations when it's for financial gain?

Quite honestly I don't see a difference.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 5-Jul-2019 08:38 Message #4743724
I don't think I have anything to worry about from being watched or electonically traceable but I'm sure some must be more careful than others. In most cases I have the choice whether to embrace technology or remain anonymous. CCTV in the High Street is something I feel safer with and in the area I live CCTV public and private has made it safer and if anything does happen easier to detect.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 1-Oct-2019 06:36 Message #4755336
Andromeda 5-Jul-2019 08:38
I don't think I have anything to worry about from being watched or electonically traceable but I'm sure some must be more careful than others. In most cases I have the choice whether to embrace technology or remain anonymous. CCTV in the High Street is something I feel safer with and in the area I live CCTV public and private has made it safer and if anything does happen easier to detect.

I feel the same and not at all worried about being watched or traced.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »