Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What

would you do?

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jun-2019 08:36 Message #4741554
I would guess we are all affected in some way with litter, seeing on our tv screens and hearing about the amount of detritus in our seas and oceans and on land, the effect it has on not only our planet but on the creatures that share this world with us.
It made me wonder, is this litter what we as individuals throw away, or is it what authorities and business throw away?

So, and I'm talking particularly litter here, not climate change, though I accept they are to some degree intertwined but let's start small, the bigger picture might come later.
Imagine you have been made Minister for the Eradication of Litter...MEL for short, and you have to put a plan of action before parliament on how you are going to reduce what we throw away on our streets and in our canals and rivers, our parklands and moors...wherever we throw it basically.
What would your plan be?

Oh yes, before I forget, we've done away with political parties so it doesn't matter what politics you follow, you've been given the job of eradicating litter...that's it!
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 10-Jun-2019 10:09 Message #4741559
On the spot fines.
Hit offenders in the pockets as it happens (if possible say in town centres & surrounding areas) & add a bit of public humiliation in too (& bow-locks to their human rights blah, blah etc).
BOOM.

(When moving traffic violation enforcement switched to the local authority, they put up digital cameras at hotspots where drivers were ignoring no right/left/"U" turns as a shortcut. Result, after a very short period word had got out and now you hardly ever see anyone doing it, if at all).
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 10-Jun-2019 10:28 Message #4741561
I agree, hit them in the pocket PLUS an hour's litter clearing at a nearby site.

Fly-tipping - get the offender to use a wheel barrow/hand cart to move the rubbish to a legitimate refuse site using only his own body [no van/car/lorry].

SQL
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jun-2019 10:37 Message #4741563
One of the problems with fining offenders on the spot is that it brings out the 'Hitlers', who let the power go to their heads...That can be worse than the litter louts themselves..

There's probably no way of getting rid of it completely...some 'rebels', will always rebel...Even some of the ones who have been properly brought up, to dispose of litter responsibly, become 'rebels' when they are with their mates, with no 'nasty adults' to tell them off...The most rebellious thing they can do though, is to chuck their Big Mac wrapper and empty bottle on the street...They think 'Cool...Am I a bad boy or what?' ...

I think they should set the murderers and paedophiles free...with a mission to catch any louts, and deal with them how they want...
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 10-Jun-2019 10:44 Message #4741565
Seems to me that a major problem lies in identifying the offenders.
While some positive advances have been made in a few areas, elimination at source of the packaging that is discarded does require more work.
And beyond litter and fly-tipping, might the proposed MEL's terms of reference also include chemical pollution of waterways ?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Jun-2019 11:19 Message #4741566
I agree with Warmundeft, theres been plenty of cases where people have been done for fly tipping when they've thought they were employing a reputable firm to take stuff to the dump. I don't see that having to pay twice is helpful.

I would have more litter bins, I now some might complain about them spoiling beauty spots, but so does rubbish and bags of dog poo.

I'd put a time limit in which to phase out plastic rope and go back to hemp, jute and other natural fibres, so much of the plastic waste I see tangled in seaweed is from blue plastic rope and other plastic marine debris, such as bits of broken fish boxes. I'd also get rid of plastic sheet wrapping for straw and hay bales, it rips off in the wind and gets tangled in hedgerows.

Where possible I'd give everyone large trolleys for recycling and food waste such as we have here, only bigger, or maybe depending on household size as one person probably produces less rubbish than multiple occupants and have a weekly collection for it, less for normal black bin.

I'd also have a more consistent plastic bag policy in England, ours is simple you have a carrier bag, you pay 5p, it goes into one of two or three mostly local charity collection boxes, or a large national charity supported by a large store. RNLI, air ambulance and the local home hospice do really well from those 5p's as they're the ones most often with boxes in smaller shops.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 10-Jun-2019 11:28 Message #4741568
playing devil's advocate here...so i drop some litter, "someone" tries to fine me on the spot but i have no money or i refuse to pay.
they might ask for my details but again i refuse...if they ask for I.D. i rarely carry any [true].
it seems to me enforcement is the problem because now we are at the point of having to arrest the culprit, but as we know there are not enough police to cover this kind of low level crime.

its like fineing dog owners for not clearing up poo...if they play hardball its almost unenforceable.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Jun-2019 12:48 Message #4741570
No.1 on the list would be to place litter bin more strategically. People are more likely to throw rubbish in a bin close by rather than carry packaging all around town until they find somewhere to dispose of it.

No.2 Enforce fast biodegradable packaging like many markets tend to still use. Such as paper bags for fruit/veg. etc. The majority of the time, particularly perishable foodstuffs tend to only need packaging with a short half-life to get from A-B. Fruit & veg. tend to keep longer unwrapped in a cool, dark place. They don't need to be kept in something for months on end.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Jun-2019 13:09 Message #4741571
No.3 If you need more sturdy flexible plastic packaging use Willowflex. It's been developed specifically as a flexible filament to build flexible objects with 3D-Printers in mind but is biodegradable and suitable for making containers. Google it for more info.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 10-Jun-2019 14:40 Message #4741576
The first two steps would be to provide enough bins and ensure everyone as aware of the stiff financial penalties.
Enforcement would be difficult and expensive with enforcement officers employed and fitted with hi-tech cameras to help identification and stop assaults by angry culprits.

We should be stepping up the use of biodegradable materials.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Jun-2019 18:37 Message #4741580
I agree with TW and Bris, another thing we could do is ban polystyrene packaging chips for ones made of wheat chaff, I don't know if this could be moulded into more bespoke packaging for pooters and tv's etc but I would of though so. Wheat chaff chips not only use a waste product, but it can be composted or used as animal bedding.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 10-Jun-2019 19:39 Message #4741588
This is true. I was in Southend a few weeks ago, a group of teens were walking in front of me. One threw his McD rubbish on the pavement . I grabbed him and yelled "Put your shit in the BIN! Not on the pavement!" His reaction? "Oh sorry mate..."!
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 11-Jun-2019 09:26 Message #4741606
We have one local retired guy and occasionally a couple of his friends who spend several days each week picking up litter and cutting back overgrown paths etc. It’s amazing how much difference he makes and a bonus is that he is seen and appreciated and it encourages others to be a bit more careful.
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 12-Jun-2019 15:22 Message #4741733
When one's location is of considerable rural splendour, one finds oneself occasionally happening upon discarded litter. One picks it up and disposes it in the plethora of litter bins available. It is of little inconvenience to one. Many people are ghastly creatures, with little sense of their environment and it habitues. There is little one can do. Sometimes a sperm should never reach the egg.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »