Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The ravages of time...

and sometimes drink, drugs, illness, botched plastic surgery..and other things

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Jun-2019 11:00 Message #4741525
The ageing process obviously happens to everyone, but through the years I have often been shocked at the transformation of some people..

The ones I will mention here are 'famous' people, so that there is a reference point..but these are a few...some dead, some still alive...

Jack Wild - From little baby faced 'Artful Dodger', to unrecognisable in his later years... Sadly died in 2006, aged 53

Shelley Duvall - From the iconic frightened poster girl in 'The Shining', and Olive Oyl in Popeye...to a sad mentally ill old person..still alive, but sad..

Teri Garr - One of my favourite crushes of all time..Incredible...but sadly MS has taken over, and she suffered a brain aneurysm...It is very sad to see her now

Daniella Westbrook - From attractive girl in Eastenders, to drug ravaged shadow of her former self..

All very sad cases.

I was going to mention more, but time is against me...Are there any that you are shocked to see now?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 9-Jun-2019 11:20 Message #4741527
the man in the mirror...;¬)
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 9-Jun-2019 12:24 Message #4741528
Celine Dion, seems to have gone downhill recently.

And I so agree about Jack Wild.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 9-Jun-2019 12:38 Message #4741531
Celine Dion, seems to have gone downhill recently.

You can hardly wonder against it given what she's gone through personally in the past few with the treatment and then subsequent loss of her husband and brother to cancer. !!

I saw a picture of Val Kilmer recently and he seems to have gone for the shop mannequin look of plastic surgery.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 9-Jun-2019 20:38 Message #4741542
Hey there is a man in my mirror too!
Not just what people look like too, physical problems.
Drugs in particular cause problems, many seem to end up needing transplants, and quite often die young.

Keith Richards did one of those death date things, was told he should have been dead years ago.

And that was years ago.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 9-Jun-2019 21:35 Message #4741544
My reflection paints a good picture of what you're talking about, my ex. missis hasn't aged well either - for reasons different to mine and nowt to do with me, my friend is the most changed, half the man he was in many ways.
But your question related mainly to famous or well known people. The person that springs to mind for me is a photograph I saw some time ago of that lass who starred with Tom Hanks in 'Sleepless in Seatle', can't recall her name but it was so sad to see a once beautiful lady looking as she did because of trying to hold back the ravages of time.

At the same time I remember many years ago of seeing a black and white photograph of a man in later years, a fisherman I think, and the 'photo was taken by a famous photographer of the time, but the lines on the subjects face and the lighting and contrast made age look something interesting.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 9-Jun-2019 21:46 Message #4741546
My two big crushes in the 80's were Wendy James and Carole Decker - it sounds harsh but the years haven't been very kind to either.
Wendy James was so cute and scrummy, I wanted to eat her all up...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 11-Jun-2019 12:17 Message #4741621
Think that was Meg Ryan, terry, most of the women who pump up their lips look odd, you would think someone would let them know, don’t they have friends.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-Jun-2019 00:29 Message #4741678
For me, being a fan of top gear for as long as I can remember... seeing Jeremy Clarkson from the 80s-90s to looking at him now... it's funny looking at him.

Billy Connolly too... he has been in my life since day one too. Looking at him playing a banjo in a clip from before I was alive, to seeing him now...
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 12-Jun-2019 15:04 Message #4741730
A lot is in the genes, as they occasionally say. That along with smoking, drinking, bad diet, too much sun, anxiety, worry etc. All those inevitably make "jack/Jill" a dull boy/girl.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »