Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Doing a Gove.

What does it mean now?

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 8-Jun-2019 10:51 Message #4741472
Apparently after Gove did not support Boris at the last minute, it became a popular saying.

Doing a Gove, meaning to stab someone in the back.
But what does Doing a Gove mean now?
can you imagine Gove being PM?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 8-Jun-2019 19:07 Message #4741494
it became a popular saying.
---
Did it?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 8-Jun-2019 19:23 Message #4741495
Hmm let me think...Gove or Corbyn...
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 8-Jun-2019 20:58 Message #4741498
You do not go out too much now G2B, is it the gout?
Hiero, Gove still wants to stand for leader, he says he hopes people will not hold it against him.
But we have to draw the line somewhere.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 8-Jun-2019 21:02 Message #4741499
In light of the recent revelations regarding the former Secretary of State for Education, Gove, claiming to regret using cocaine on several occasions in his past, “doing a Gove” might now also relate to demonstrating a degree of hypocrisy of Elton John magnitude.

Elton John boasted he had little memory of the whole of the 1970’s thanks to his cocaine addiction and/or use of class A drugs though that didn’t stop him shamelessly joining the “Just Say No” campaign promoted in the 1980s.

At the very time Gove held high office in his Secretary of State for Education Role, we can be sure that some youngsters were ejected from their schools for indulging in similar drug use so the fact that this man would have been in charge of or responsible for a policy of ejecting drug offenders from the education system, (yet be a user or former user himself), is abhorrent.

“Do as I say – not as I do myself?”

A maxim uttered by so many despicable, self serving, politicians, civil servants, leaders of industry and so many folk in positions of power or influence.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 8-Jun-2019 21:07 Message #4741500
Excellent post Beach, politicians seem to be a protected species.
They have not mastered speed cameras yet though.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »