Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Lovely cruise yesterday

Basingstoke canal

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 7-Jun-2019 19:15 Message #4741438
I spent a very relaxing afternoon yesterday cruising between Odiham and The barley Mow near Crookham on the John Pinkerton !!. The weather was ideal, sunny but not too hot. Sandwhiches, cake and a hot drink were provided by the organisers.. It was the first time I have been on the new John Pinkerton, the original having been replaced about 6 years ago.

I saw lots of ducks and dragonflies but was particularly impressed by a butterfly (I assume not a moth) that was present in abundance. Non of us on the boat could identify it and I couldn't find it in my butterfly book. It was quite large and from some angles appeared black, but when its wings tipped towards the sun it showed itself to be a rich, dark blue. There didn't appear to be any white or other markings on its wings.

Can anybody suggest what it might have been?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Jun-2019 19:31 Message #4741439
Although you've looked in your book, it might show something online...There are a few websites, but one is butterfly-conservation.org that has quite a bit of info.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 7-Jun-2019 21:01 Message #4741445
I've been looking online as well. The nearest I came to it was a dark variation on the Purple Emperor but the habitat seems wrong and it is supposed to be fairly unusual. I must have seen 20 or more of them over a stretch of about 1/4 mile. It definitely wasn't the common blue, too large and much too dark in colour.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 7-Jun-2019 21:07 Message #4741446
Ah, back in July last year someone reported a "Well-worn Purple Emperor male" near Basingstoke. There is a photo they took but it is quite brown in places with very definite white markings. Not like the ones I saw.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »