Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Tax

How does your garden grow.

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Jun-2019 23:24 Message #4741365
I hope you have a money tree in your garden as it seems that if Labour get into power they will introduce a garden tax that will cost anyone with a average garden about £400 a year and increase if you have a bigger garden.
My garden is about half an acre so that's me snookered then.
My neighbours garden is the same so after talking to him today we reckon its time to sell to a developer who wants to buy the two properties.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 5-Jun-2019 23:29 Message #4741367
Are they taxing lakes?
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 5-Jun-2019 23:55 Message #4741368
Don't be daft Barney. I'm afraid you've been suckered by the tabloid "Corbyn ate my Hamster" Guff. There's an election coming and the tax avoiding press barrons, are manipulating the frightened greedy. I read in the Daily Mail, Labour are going to tax ignorance. That's got to be very worrying for you ...chuckle...
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 6-Jun-2019 08:43 Message #4741371
Ahh but it's not all bad, I read somewhere that old steptoe is going to make it law we all have an allotment just like him - it's going to be like "Dig for Victory" all over again...
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 6-Jun-2019 10:51 Message #4741375
I wouldn't object to the allotment idea.
It would stop the greedy councils, like my local one, that are forever circling like vultures coveting the land with envious eyes, working out how much moolah they could rake in for the council coffers (and their back pockets, who said that!!) when it's sold to developers for yet more housing.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 6-Jun-2019 13:17 Message #4741379
Don't give them ideas NotHermit.

I reckon if Labour get elected they will turn the Country into another Venezuela and we will all have to grow our own food.
So should I turn the garden into a allotment or sell up and move to a tax haven ?.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 6-Jun-2019 15:40 Message #4741389
The plan in it's present form would double the council tax of many and would onbviously force some out of their homes but it is only at the ideas stage and any idea is worth considering even if it is then dismissed.
I know many who were opposed to the Community Charge, known to some as the Poll Tax, are now in favour of a similar scheme.
Council tax is a necessary evil and there are no easy answers. Each time a party has an idea the opposition will pick the bad points and lambaste or even make false claims to discredit the idea.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Jun-2019 18:42 Message #4741391
I still don't think a poll tax is a good idea, it would be punative for those of us who live in multigenerational households and are doing the right thing by our relatives whilst rewarding single occupancy in a larger house. As you say nobody likes taxation, personally I think it would be better for local taxes to be raised via local income tax, it would also be cheaper as it could be part of the normal tax calculation and collection and distributed in the same way central government gives local councils money from central funds. I think any government should look at closing tax loopholes and collecting the tax owed and avoided by large international companies rather than dumping it all on ordinary people.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 6-Jun-2019 19:02 Message #4741392
Apologies. I was writing my post when duty called and I abandoned it. The point I was going to make as that almost every scheme for raising taxes will have pros and cons and the political interventions prevent more involved planning and compromises which would be fairer to everyone.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 7-Jun-2019 13:38 Message #4741424
How should the tax be calculated? Headcount? Property value? Land owned? Other?
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 7-Jun-2019 15:42 Message #4741428
A window box is probably the thrifty tax haven.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »