Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What's in a name?

Are you put off by some...

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Jun-2019 15:27 Message #4741336
Do you ever get put off a 'name', because someone you don't like has that name?

Mostly people just get on with things, and quite often don't make any 'name connection' thing...but sometimes it is different...Is there anything that puts you off a name?

Some other examples might be the hurricane and storm naming systems, for instance...I think there was storm Gareth and storm Hannah this year...If they cause death and destruction, would most people be put of naming their new little baby by those names for the time being...or forever perhaps...Would anyone who already have those names be bothered by it all..

If someone committed a murder...and then became notorious in the news...would you be put off the name at all...There have still been plenty of Ian's for instance, even though Ian Brady and Ian Huntley disgusted the world with their horror crimes..

Some names do die out...Adolf, for instance, apart from some nutters around...Why did only Adolf become extinct though...why not Joseph, Hermann, Heinrich, Martin for instance...( Goebbels, Goering, Himmler, Bormann ) amongst others...some of them were just as bad, if not worse...

Anyway, do names conjure up any unusual bad feelings in you.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 5-Jun-2019 15:48 Message #4741338
yep...the name of a psycho ex...
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 5-Jun-2019 16:31 Message #4741341
I don't think the name Adolph would somehow be popular. But again the name Michelangelo is rare. Some names resonate instinctively to their famous owners, and are impossible to use again. Amadeus, Bernini, Chopin. Bernini is my all time favourite. Cannot be beaten, cannot go to Rome without a visit to the Galleria Borghese.
Male
InSanityClaus  Male  Cornwall 5-Jun-2019 17:39 Message #4741345
yeah...…...what fosy said
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Jun-2019 18:41 Message #4741347
What Gilpin said, names die out, some get revived and some never really go out of fashion. I think though Gilpin that many of the names you mentioned are family names rather first names, we have plenty of Michael's but not Angelmichael which is the translation of Michelangelo, maybe its a protestant thing?

i do have some names I dislike because of people I remember who had those names, I guess we all do, but then most of those are covered by those with the same name who I have got on with, I might not choose to call my child or pet by those names though. But there are just some names I don't like, Veronica for example, it just dosen't feel right in my mouth, I don't think I've ever met a Veronica though.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Jun-2019 19:54 Message #4741349
Aloysius Ponsenby Smythe.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 5-Jun-2019 21:05 Message #4741352
Tarquin, Ponsenby Smyth

I believe he was Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, Italian renaissance. Genius. Can't say the name without conjuring up …. Sistine Chapel, ceiling. Even with some surnames, they immediately relate to what they are famous for.

But this is names you don't like, keep getting side tracked. Don't think there's any name I particularly don't like.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 5-Jun-2019 22:11 Message #4741359
I remember quite liking the name Matthew for a male child but was put off it after living next door to an obnoxious child of that name ….
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 5-Jun-2019 22:56 Message #4741362
There were some dirty smelly kids at school so I have always disliked those names. Another name reminded me of sadness but I don't know why and yet more that I dislike for no obvious reason at all and yet others who were nasty or bullies.

Many modern ones are very odd and not ones I would use. Names , like everything else, change and come and go.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 6-Jun-2019 10:58 Message #4741376
That's strange of parents to give their child the name "dirty smelly kids".
But to have more than one at the same school seems even stranger !!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Jun-2019 11:43 Message #4741377
BP, I can't get my head round some of the more modern names either, some people just seem to pick a word they like or a place and name their child after it. I know many names like Mercedes are proper names in Italy, but all I think of is the car. We have names from all over the word some I like some I don't, some I just think 'eh?'
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 7-Jun-2019 18:27 Message #4741435
After the war, very few children in Germany were named Adolf. In England, in December 2018 Adam Thomas was jailed for 6.5 years and his partner Claudia Patatas was jailed for 5 years for belonging to banned far right group National Action. They named their child middle name Adolf in "admiration" of Hitler.

Many stars have changed their name. For example, Doris Mary Kappelhoff to Doris Day (after her performance of the song "Day After Day"), and co-star Roy Harold Scherer Jr to Rock Hudson.

Some name changes are very minor, such as William Neeson to Liam Neeson.

Old joke:-
A man had name Fred Smells. So he changed his name.
To Fred Stinks.

Bottom is an old surname referring to the lowest part of a valley. (In 1891 in Lancashire there were 1,671 families having surname Ramsbottom, from hramsa meaning wild garlic rather than a male uncastrated sheep.)
Although Rosie is a pleasant name, I would be put off by the name Rosie Bottom.

In America there are about 400 women or girls named "Abcde" (pronounced AB-si-dee).
About 1930 in Liverpool Arthur Pepper named his daughter Anna Bertha Cecilia Diana Emily Fanny Gertrude Hypatia Inez Jane Kate Louise Maud Nora Ophelia Prudence Quince Rebecca Sarah Teresa Ulysis Venus Winifred Xenophon Yetty Zeno Pepper. She had nickname "Alphabet Pepper".

"What's in a name? Are you put off by some..."
Another old joke:- From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, soon after Juliet says "Tis but thy name that is my enemy", she nearly says "What's in a name? That which we call a nose
By any other name would smell as sweet".
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 7-Jun-2019 21:27 Message #4741449
As well as Juliet's rose, Shakespeare nearly mentioned Rosie Bottom, both front and rear.

In his sonnet 116 "Let me not to the marriage of true minds ...", he writes about "rosy lips and cheeks".

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »