Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Have you any cringey or embarrassing things...

that you may not mind too much about sharing on here...

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Jun-2019 12:49 Message #4741222
One of mine is...Since the 80's, I have owned a Barry Manilow album...Manilow Magic..

It doesn't get played as much nowadays though..as i only have it on cassette...

I may think of some others...

What are yours.?..go on, I won't tell anyone...
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 3-Jun-2019 13:48 Message #4741225
Yer avin a laff...my cringy bits stay where cringy bits should stay...

That said -
When out walking the dog in woods once I was overcome by the need to relieve myself, never noticed a train line just yards away, thought it was much further away and hidden by trees. Nope, and a train decided to stop for the lights at just that place.

Does that count as cringy?
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 3-Jun-2019 15:20 Message #4741228
There is something that has been on my conscience for more than 20 years.

In the 1990s in a Paris train station I wanted to use a trolley for my suitcases. I was about to put a 10 Francs coin (about £1) in a slot, when a man sitting near the trolleys asked for my coin and he would "kindly" insert it in the slot for me. So I gave him my coin, and he freed the trolley for me. I should have asked him why he had a knife in his hand!

After using the trolley, I took it to a trolley rack to get my coin back, and then found that my coin wasn't in there. He had kept my coin and used his knife to free the trolley. I couldn't find him, and I informed a policeman who said (perhaps sarcastically) that if he had his way then the thief would be locked up for 10 years!

I left the policeman and took the trolley back to a rack. As I was putting it in place, an elderly lady offered me a 10 Francs coin which I could keep, as she anticipated getting 10 Francs when she had finished using the trolley. To my eternal shame, I accepted her 10 Francs, and tried not to think of her expression when she was to eventually find out that there was no coin in the trolley.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Jun-2019 21:32 Message #4741253
Hey
in the 1990's, my aunt who is French was at a Paris train station.
She gave a man 10 francs for a trolley.
When she returned the trolley it had no coin in it.
It was her last coin, she was unable to catch the train home, and sadly died on the way home (exhaustion).
Before she died she cursed the trolley thief.
She vowed to visit him from the after life, and make woooeee noises.
And make sure he never forgot his poor conduct.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 3-Jun-2019 21:50 Message #4741255
Oooerrr!

I wondered what those noises were.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Jun-2019 23:45 Message #4741260
Would explain the bed wetting too.
No doctor can help you with that one Jeff, its part of the curse.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 4-Jun-2019 05:18 Message #4741261
Even though I've never been to Paris, I still hear Wooeee noises.

I'm pretty sure it's the lesbians next door though.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Jun-2019 06:53 Message #4741263
At a job interview a few years ago, it was one of those cringe type all day interviews, where you are in a group ( there were only three of us, two young lads in their 20's and me ) in the morning session, doing tests and group tasks and coming up with a new product and all that rubbish ..then if you made it through there were one to one interviews in the afternoon...I hate those kind of things,but put myself into it anyway, with a fake smile etc...

Anyway, part of the morning session was to say 3 things about yourself, with only one being true, and the interviewers and the other 'contestants' had to guess which was true..

I was trying to think up some stuff, and then for some reason thought of the true one, which was being squirted by Sooty ( and Harry Corbett of course ) when I was a kid, about 5 I think, and I cried.

So with that in mind, I tried to come up with the fake ones, and one of them was, carrying on with the Sooty connection, that in the 70's I was a member of a punk band called 'The Squirting Sooties'...

The old woman from HR looked shocked...Although I made it through to the afternoon session, I didn't get the job..
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 4-Jun-2019 13:01 Message #4741289
Love it Tumbleweed, The Squirting Sooties lol.

If you did that now there would be outrage in the media and on the social networks and probably questions in Parliament.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »