Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The best things in life are free ...

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Jun-2019 08:33 Message #4741133
It’s really true !!!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 2-Jun-2019 09:11 Message #4741134
Something about birds and bees?
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 2-Jun-2019 10:55 Message #4741137
If your expectations aren't pitched too highly they might be.
Female
Hantslady  Female  Hampshire 2-Jun-2019 11:45 Message #4741143
True you cant buy love/ fresh air/ loyalty / All depends on your mentality I guess.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Jun-2019 11:50 Message #4741144
Now give me money...That's what I want
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Jun-2019 11:54 Message #4741145
Well, that's it for the rest of the day now...I can't get the song out of my head...good song though..
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Jun-2019 12:03 Message #4741147
Money can buy you a better class of misery, but it can also enable you to do some of the things you enjoy.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 2-Jun-2019 13:33 Message #4741151
If you don’t have much money and don’t sit around feeling sorry for yourself then the best things in life are most definitely free.
We live in a consumer society and are often conned into thinking we need to buy stuff.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 2-Jun-2019 13:52 Message #4741152
Money.

If you are a millionaire but paralysed how much would you pay not to be .If you are missing limbs how much would you pay to have those limbs. If you have some other disease or impairment how much would you pay to be well.

So if you are not paralysed, disabled, unwell and have all your mental faculties then add it up and you are a millionaire and it was all free.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 2-Jun-2019 14:47 Message #4741155
Didn't see that on the news...food now going to be free...or the land to grow your own food on.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Jun-2019 14:56 Message #4741158
Terry. I don’t think anyone is saying you can go through life getting everything for free but that many of the best and most enjoyable things are free.
Personally I love walking along the Thames or relaxing in the park. I often swim for free or share a boat with friends for water sports. I jog and enjoy other “free” sports.
My loves and friendships cost me nothing.
Your outlook on life probably makes more difference to your happiness and satisfaction than your finances.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 2-Jun-2019 14:58 Message #4741159
My apologies, I was taking it literally.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 2-Jun-2019 15:06 Message #4741160
Very often 'free' doesn't really mean 'free'...It may mean 'cheaper' or some such...but usually has some sort of price attached to it.

Walks..the clean atmosphere where you are walking, the pathways etc, all costing in taxes etc...costs of walking boots and clothes etc...Swimming in the sea...keeping it non polluted...keeping the beach clean..jut being with family...enjoying each others company...but how much has it cost to create and bring up the family..an absolute fortune...but often money well spent...Just a few examples...but some a lot less expensive than other things..
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 2-Jun-2019 15:17 Message #4741162
If you delve too deeply you could say that your parents spent money having you so even that wasn’t free lol.
Money has allowed me to travel and do more things but I when I used to go on cheap, sometimes free, camping holidays with the kids, walking across fields and woods, fishing and flying kites in many ways it was more fun, and certainly more satisfying, than staying in hotels.
Being with someone you care for, making love, romantic walks, laughing, kissing, so many things that are not money related.

Your outlook on life probably makes more difference to your happiness and satisfaction than your finances.

I might keep that as my motto :)

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 3-Jun-2019 14:07 Message #4741227
For some reason this thread seemed to vanish from my main page, don't know if it had from other people's as well...anyway, thought I'd just add this to bring it back on in case anyone else wants to add to it.

Plus, to add, my friend is gradually losing his sight, with it comes the gloom of a sightless future. He was always a very active person, climbing, caving, running, was in both cave rescue and mountain rescue, was well travelled and very good at his job. Every so often he, I and another good friend meet up for a few days (we live in different parts of the country) and those days we spend together are priceless, whether on the hills walking whilst connected by ropes or sat sharing a few beers in the rented cottage.
I believe in the context of this thread, that's the sort of thing you mean?
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 7-Jun-2019 09:00 Message #4741408
Yes, it is true, the best things in life are most definiyely free. The air that we breath, the rays of the sun, watching clouds float by. a walk on the beach, a swim in the sea, river or lake. A long coastal walk or through a wood or hiking up a mountain or rocky tor and then being able to marvel at the spectacular panoramic view around us. All that nature has to offer is free; watching new life emerge, new buds emerging baby chicks, birds animals etc. Beach combing for unusual driftwood, stones and shells, or collecting wild mushrooms and blackberries etc. Watching the sun rise on a new day and then seeing it set at the end, when stars start to emerge. And giving and receiving a comforting hug. There is so much in life that is free and perhaps many simply take it for granted.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 7-Jun-2019 11:56 Message #4741419
erm...im free ! ;¬)
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 7-Jun-2019 17:05 Message #4741429
A bargain at that price fosy :)
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 7-Jun-2019 22:28 Message #4741453
aw fanks tsw...cant go wrong at that price, or can they ??
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Jun-2019 10:12 Message #4741523
My thoughts exactly Sea Urchin. It’s just as well the best things are free as I have no money.
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 11-Jun-2019 01:13 Message #4741598
The only time money can make you happy and mean it, is when you make someone else happy, even a little money.

And sorry girls, I don't mean glittery things but when you get the right gift at the right time for someone or people.

It can be a simple as hiding Creme Eggs all over the office, they had to use the CCTV to find out who.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 12-Jun-2019 06:16 Message #4741679
Thanks Raach, There are even free festivals; went to a free fish one at the weekend and picked up some free tips on collecting free seaweed. Used in a few recipes including chopped up in various salads. It was being sold on a stall at £2.50 for the equivalent of a couple of lettuce leaves in a small container. I walked the few yards to the sea and collected the same thing for free.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 12-Jun-2019 06:43 Message #4741680
Every morning that I wake up and get out of bed is a bonus. That's all it takes to make me happy.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »