Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

We are told not to waste food

but

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 29-May-2019 18:47 Message #4740915
I popped up the road for a loaf of bread. Raining so didn't feel like a trip into town, just used the garage shop, a Budgens I believe.

White medium sliced loaf 800g £1
ditto 400g £1.09

Same bread. Guess which I bought? Will I use a large loaf before it goes green and furry?

No.

The excess will eventually join the slices of green and furry cheese I am continually shaving of the large, smallest I can buy, chunk of cheddar cheese, the 2 green and furry, still partially hard and not very sweet peaches from the pack of 4 that I bought because I can't buy just 1 or 2, the rotting mushrooms and tomatoes from the overlarge packs (Asda don't sell them loose any more), the stale cereal from the huge shop brand packet it takes me several weeks to get through - still cheaper to buy than a small pack of a more expensive brand, the leggy, green spuds from the 2 1/2 kg bag I was forced to buy last month, etc. etc.

I hate throwing food away, but what can I do?
My freezer is small, as is my kitchen.

N.B. NO greengrocers around here. NO fish mongers. NO Baker. Just Supermarkets and a couple of "convenience" stores. There is a butcher, a second bus ride away, so I can get 2 sausages or streaky pork slices if I make the journey, otherwise not..
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-May-2019 19:07 Message #4740917
Could you split a loaf down into different bags and freeze it, or even a couple of rolls? I never buy peaches before the end of June as they never ripen properly. Have you ever made a savoury bread and butter pudding? I've done it with cheese and onion sandwiches plus any bits and pieces of veg, like thinly sliced cauliflower, or bacon and a some beaten eggs and milk and any herbs you have knocking about? You can extend the life of all the ingredients, as it does better with stale bread and once everythings cooked it will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge, its goes nicely with some salad.
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 29-May-2019 19:35 Message #4740919
you could make some breadcrumbs - lots of uses for those
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 29-May-2019 20:53 Message #4740923
I have been known to make a bread and butter pudding but it only takes 3 or 4 slices. Bread pudding requires baked bread, not the Chorley Wood style sliced pap. I don't use breadcrumbs except at Christmas for bread sauce or to put out for the birds (wholemeal for them).

My current freezer has less storage than my previous one because it is higher spec but takes the same space.. I primarily use the freezer for home-grown raspberries etc., peas chips, corn kernels and so on plus expensive stuff I like which is sometimes available cheap on a sell-by. Cod fillets, trout, smoked haddock, prawns, even duck sometimes. Then there are the left over burgers from a pack of 4, diced cooked left over chicken breast to use in a stir fry - and some ice cream for those days when ice-cream is a necessity. If I can get a pack of 2 trout for £1 instead of £2.99 then I am happy as trout freezes well and I love it! No room for bread.

Asda used to sell mild cheddar in randomly sized packs now it is one size, large.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 30-May-2019 11:40 Message #4740966
Of course a bread pudding doesn't require some posh baked loaf.
An elderly relative rarely finishes a loaf these days and I update the perishable cupboard & fridge contents each week so any leftover e.g. sliced Best of Both cut loaf goes home with me and I knock up a bread pud. I've even left it in the fridge & waited until the following week and added the next lot in and it's still been fine to use. You can even chuck in a couple of over ripe banana's if you have them to bulk it out. Happy days.
I know you can't always pick where you shop if the stores aren't there and a lot of supermarkets are getting rid of their deli counters where you could buy a piece of cheese off a block, but stores like Iceland sell 250g packs of cheese, and if you spend £25 online they'll deliver it for free.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 30-May-2019 17:15 Message #4740983
They'll also deliver it if you've shopped in store.

Chris.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 30-May-2019 21:17 Message #4740994
It must be hard if you don't have much choice of where to shop.
I make my own bread and a loaf lasts me the best part of a week without going stale, but when I've been away, my son gets me a loaf of bread in. I do what wh said .. freeze it in 2 slice packs for emergency use/breadcrumbs etc

Maybe it's about planning ahead and freezing meals when you have the time/space in your freezer.

You could make a cheese sauce, Mushroom and tomato topping for a pizza/ wrap/pasta, poach the peaches and keep in a jar or chocolate cornflake cakes?

Potatoes can be cut into chips or chunks and blanched before freezing .. and you can also freeze mashed potato. Chop up veg for a stir fry and freeze in portion bags.

Just a few thoughts …
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 31-May-2019 08:42 Message #4741006
The price of bread has rocketed over the last few years.
I admit I buy reduced price bread and put it in the freezer... I use if for my morning toast. I like seeded or granary loaves for sarnies so will buy a couple if reduced and again put in freezer.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 31-May-2019 11:14 Message #4741018
Well Aely I think you'll just have to move up here where we have butchers and bakers, (no candlestick makers) and a market twice a week where you can buy loose veg. Depending on where on the island you live theres even fairly good transport links.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 11-Jun-2019 15:46 Message #4741635
I think most people, even those on low incomes, waste a horrific amount of money on foods, utilities etc. It's the way of society now.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jun-2019 18:58 Message #4741658
One of the problems with utilities is if you're on a low income you're probably on a pre-pay meter, you can't get the same deals and discounts with them as you do for monthly DD's, if you have only electric you pay a higher tariff even if you do pay monthly by DD. Some private landlords make it part of the contract that you can't change the utilities supplier for a cheaper one so you end up forking out for an expensive deal.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »