Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Brexit party

BBC

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 27-May-2019 12:43 Message #4740754
These says I refuse to watch the BBC but last night I had to watch their coverage of the European election results just to see and hear the words almost stick in their craw when reading out the results, sheer joy.
Then at the end they brought in a University Professor to spin the numbers. Even though the Brexit party won by a landslide the Professor added up the results and declared it a draw between the leavers and remainers.
Of course they wheeled out Alistair Campbell to accuse the Brexit party of being funded by Russian roubles.
Then on the radio this morning the politicians, taking a leaf out of the BBC book were lining up to say if you add up the numbers the vote counts for nothing.
Will they ever learn ?.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 27-May-2019 13:19 Message #4740756
Sky was worse. I've never seen such a sour faced presenter all the way through. Talk about sore losers. They don't do themselves any favours.

Well don Brexit Party.

You'd think the Lib. Dems. had won though, big time, with their self applauding of coming second, and the remainers are a majority. Are they morons or what.

Well I like Farage, he doesn't blow a trumpet, actual Brexit and the people who voted for it are his priority, and continuing to work to carry out the result and not have it over ruled by an establishment that think they can do as they please I think is genuinely his goal.

Have to say Tories have learnt the lesson. They will be focusing on leaving, no remain for them.

I think Anna Suberry is turning into a kind of daft old bat. Apparently Change UK did brilliantly.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 27-May-2019 16:05 Message #4740768
My favourite bit was Anna Soubry putting spin on the change UK performance.
Also Lib Dems thinking they had won, declaring the result means another referendum is inevitable.

Just wondering, does anyone know what democrat means in Lib Dem?

Got to admit Anne Widdicombe was a bit embarrassing though.
Its all change, but many have not realized it yet.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 27-May-2019 16:06 Message #4740769
All change but for what? Only time will tell.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-May-2019 16:21 Message #4740775
Well if you do take it as indicative of what people feel about Brexit then the parties that stood on a remain platform did just as well or slightly better than the Brexit Party, I counted them up myself as they were coming in and that was discounting Labour and Conservative votes as they and especially Labour were a bit woolley about where they stood.

But I think you do have to look at it from a non Brexit stand point too, Plaid Cymru always do well in Wales, they have a solid support base and many people will never vote against them. The Greens did well too, not just in this country but right across Europe, maybe people are waking up to the emergency our planet is facing?

Barney, did you vote after all? I remember you saying you'd never vote again. I know the Brexit party did very well and Labour and the Tories were hammered as expected, but from what I saw from the results the country's still as split as ever on Brexit. Alistair Campbell said he voted LibDem and not Labour, so is he still a Labour party member, if he is will he be kicked out? He's not an MP just a pundit.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 27-May-2019 16:34 Message #4740781
Farage played a blinder, riding the back of Dissatisfaction, Alienation and Anger to a great - for him - result, gobbling up the UKIP support in the process.
Parties with a clear, unequivocal message fared much better than the ones who tried to fudge their position but it shows the country is still hopelessly divided on the subject of Brexit. Hard to tell precise numbers, but I am guessing that they are not far from the original 52/48, which, given the low numbers that bothered to vote at all (37%) is hardly conclusive either way.

The remain vote is split at least 4 ways (LibDem, Greens, SNP, Change UK). So much for unity...

The Muslim-hating Yaxley-Lennon was humiliated, lost his deposit and slithered out of the back door in Manchester barely an hour after arriving. some good news then!

What a mess!
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 27-May-2019 17:33 Message #4740784
The new editor of the Daily Mail is pro EU so the journalists on there are following suit but even that paper this morning complained about BBC bias for concentrating on the Lib Dems and Greens.
LBC is stuffed full of ex BBC presenters who obviously instruct their researchers to only allow remainers to get through, apart from Nick Ferrari, on their phone in programmes. So this morning the people and guest politicians who phoned in were all saying the remainers won the vote.
Seems the old established political parties and the media will not accept democracy in any shape or form. No wonder Brexiteers are angry and it will only get worse.

WH, I know I said I would never vote again but the chance to give the Tories a bloody nose was too good to miss lol, especially as my MP is Michael Gove.
The Bexit party vote for the South East was just short of 1 million.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 27-May-2019 17:43 Message #4740785
The results show that the nation is as divided as ever - god alone knows why people calling for a second referendum are so sure it will solve the problem, all signs are it's about 50/50.
One interesting tweet I read today was "Brexit Party won 5.2m votes, so the question for Nigel is where are the rest of the 17.4m “betrayed”.
It's a fair comment I suppose, I wonder whether the 60% who didn't vote on Thursday would turn out for a second referendum or a general election and which way they would jump.
It certainly is a mess...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 27-May-2019 17:59 Message #4740786
It is a mess, but certain things are in the process of getting sorted out.

The message is clear regarding Brexit...People can spin the stats this way or that way depending on their bias, and blame a small turnout etc, and roughly 50/50 still, but this vote has shown Brexit to be top dog...a new party...and top dog...that says a lot..

Brexit will now be delivered...The people to deliver it will be put in place...There is no getting away from that...Just my opinion of course, but I would say the opinion of many others as well.

So Brexit won the referendum in 2016...Brexit now win this...there is a bit of a pattern emerging...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-May-2019 18:39 Message #4740788
Would you vote for Gove as PM though Barney? Actually I think its no wonder so many people across the political divide are angry, its far more than just brexit, it seems to be the same across Europe, people are wanting something that they feel represents them and not the post WW2 consensus.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 27-May-2019 18:48 Message #4740789
I’m not surprised Brexit is having an easy ride as it’s the only party not divided within its own members.
Labour is divided on Brexit and divided on leadership. Tories are divided on Brexit and divided on leadership. The Brexit Party is simplicity itself as it only has one policy and one aim which is supported by all in the party. The leader is driven by the one policy and is a good orator in presenting that policy.
If more of the country was in favour of a no deal Brexit the party would have been much more successful.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 27-May-2019 18:52 Message #4740790
WH,

I would not vote for Gove under any circumstances, he can't be trusted.

I see Marion Le Pen's party did well in France. Hopefully give Macron a few sleepless nights.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 27-May-2019 22:25 Message #4740802
You appear to be sporting a mental erection over this division and nationalism Barney. Tell me; do you want to see this little multi cultural island Great again?
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 27-May-2019 22:44 Message #4740803
Nigel Farage was given an opportunity to vote to protect Zero Hours Workers in the European Parliament. He declined.

* Abstained on help for small farmers
* Supports fox hunting
* Abstained on help for minimum wage workers
* Abstained on help for Zero Hours Workers
* Turned down EU funding for food banks
* Opposed taxes on rich corporations
* Backs tax cuts for the rich
* Backs move away from state_funded NHS

He is not on my side Barney

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 27-May-2019 23:05 Message #4740804
Farage played a blinder, riding the back of Dissatisfaction, Alienation and Anger to a great - for him - result, gobbling up the UKIP support in the process.
Parties with a clear, unequivocal message fared much better than the ones who tried to fudge their position but it shows the country is still hopelessly divided on the subject of Brexit. Hard to tell precise numbers, but I am guessing that they are not far from the original 52/48, which, given the low numbers that bothered to vote at all (37%) is hardly conclusive either way.

The remain vote is split at least 4 ways (LibDem, Greens, SNP, Change UK). So much for unity...

The Muslim-hating Yaxley-Lennon was humiliated, lost his deposit and slithered out of the back door in Manchester barely an hour after arriving. some good news then!

What a mess!

You’ve got that right. Particularly about the hate riddled Yaxley-Lennon.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 28-May-2019 10:30 Message #4740822
Templar

I’m not surprised Brexit is having an easy ride as it’s the only party not divided within its own members.
Labour is divided on Brexit and divided on leadership. Tories are divided on Brexit and divided on leadership. The Brexit Party is simplicity itself as it only has one policy and one aim which is supported by all in the party. The leader is driven by the one policy and is a good orator in presenting that policy.
If more of the country was in favour of a no deal Brexit the party would have been much more successful.
………

Exactly. As it should be. The country was given the choice, get on with it. The sooner its carried out the sooner we recover.

Wouldn't trust that weasel Gove as PM.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 28-May-2019 13:08 Message #4740828
No point in answering or responding to someone with a fake profile because in all probability the content in their post is made up as well.

As the Donald would say " fake news ".
Male
grahamg  Male  Cheshire 28-May-2019 16:19 Message #4740831
I've just found a book written in the style of Enid Blyton and her "Famous five" children's books (an authorised adaptation published in 2016, shortly after the referendum).

Instead of just Brexit they create their own declared independence vote on Ferrin island, or "Frexit", in response to the Brexit vote they'd voted for but were unhappy about once Brexit won the majority they didn't expect. The real author, whose name escapes me at the moment, allows all the extreme human behaviour to be witnessed as a result of a poll where people become divided, and the outcome isn't decisive etc. etc. (the £350 million in this case was for the picnic fund they said !).

As you'd hope with a supposed children's tale or adventure story about any subject, it all turns out okay in the end when the matter more or less resolves themselves. Can we hope for the same over the real Brexit I wonder?

Highly recommended if you haven't heard of it before, and a prophetic tale of what happens when you divide people if ever there was one.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 28-May-2019 16:35 Message #4740833
grahamg.I think this is more like an episode in the middle of a series. No-one knows what should happen, what could happen or what might happen. a mystery series.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 28-May-2019 16:36 Message #4740834

Correct!
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 28-May-2019 17:36 Message #4740839
A very cowardly avoidance tactic Barney. Nothing fake in my profile. Just your fake assumption i'm a previous person on this site. Typical Brexshiter. Bullying and when cornered, decries fakery. Grow a pair old chap. Answer the question and be a man.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 28-May-2019 20:38 Message #4740857
Gosh they are now getting very upset.
Now they realize Brexit is actually going to happen.
Angry at the result., and angry no one can change the result.
Democracy, we will have no democracy here.
Our opinion is more important than yours.
You did not know what you were voting for.
I do not know what to post, so I will copy and paste other peoples posts.

Barney is a bully, naughty Barney.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 28-May-2019 22:59 Message #4740864
Anger is an energy. Gammon is a lump of pink meat. Far from angry Hermit. Just enjoying taking on manipulators and cowards. Anyways... Have a Dexter at these.

Of =42,868,298 eligible UK voters, 36.7% voted = 16,617,044 votes.

Brexit Party 5,244,893 votes - 12%

Lib Dems 3,366,673 votes - 7.85%

Labour 2,346,441 votes - 5.47%

Greens 2,010,328 votes - 4.68%

Conservative 1,510,874 votes - 3.52%

CHUK 571,716 votes - 1.3%

UKIP 549,159 votes - 1.28%

Did not vote 26,251,254 63.3%
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 28-May-2019 23:24 Message #4740866
Statistics can be presented in so many ways to suit the statistician but all the recent votes prove the country is as divided as ever.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 28-May-2019 23:39 Message #4740868
With the flow.

If my auntie had thingy's she would be my uncle.
Why waste your time quoting such nonsense.
Just respect democracy and enjoy the democratic process.

Person thingy.
Its all about democracy and respect for other peoples opinions.
A democratic vote took place, if it is ignored you have political casualties.
The latest casualty would be Jeremy Hunt, still trying to keep no deal at bay.

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »