Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Its PG

Gone Mad

Male
Mr_Chris  Male  Northamptonshire 11-May-2019 10:33 Message #4739963
Sacking Danny Baker!!
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 11-May-2019 10:48 Message #4739964
He's an ignorant yob.

He's paid for his stupidity.

Trevor
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-May-2019 10:53 Message #4739965
Ha ha I see what you did there.
Twitter can make or break a person...
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 11-May-2019 11:34 Message #4739967
Either you are on about the tea type or parental guidance,

which do you want ?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 11-May-2019 14:16 Message #4739974
Just had a look at the picture.

Dear oh dear.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-May-2019 15:20 Message #4739979
ill advised or thought out humour...in the circumstances...

I tried my own type humour in a thread on the subject the other day...Something about Archie being bald...If I was in the public eye...I would be crucified probably...I'm surprised the 'disgusted' brigade on here haven't crucified me...talking about crucified, did you hear about...

Anyway, back to Danny Baker...He has been sacked 3 times from the BBC now...so he'll be back..

I've been entertained by his style of broadcasting through the years..
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-May-2019 18:20 Message #4739983
I don’t like Danny Baker and I’m not sure what skills he has which makes him popular with his fans. He was stupid and although his friends might have been amused it seems most people did find this incident offensive and I agree with them. Not a big deal but I think sacking him was the right thing to do.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-May-2019 19:01 Message #4739989
The appeal of Danny Baker is probably more a lads thing Raach.

I don't follow him much nowadays, but certainly in his heyday, he brought quite a lot to the table. His phone in footy shows, with Danny Kelly were a must for me. You felt an excitement listening to the shows , and others have tried to copy their style, some with success.

Laddish, yobbish behaviour has never been my thing ( believe it or not, although I have had my moments ), and maybe he has attracted some of that over the years, mixing with Chris Evans and Gazza amongst others, so I can see why some people don't like him.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 12-May-2019 09:24 Message #4740014
I had never heard of him.

I've seen his tweet, I wasn't offended by it. I think if he posted that and didn't expect a race uproar then he is quite foolish/nieve.

I suspect it may have been an intentional publicity stunt...

Sacked for it? Not my call. Arrested? No.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 12-May-2019 12:23 Message #4740033
I have never been a fan of motormouth Baker. He loves the sound of his own voice and when people rang his show he talked over them.
His excuse for posting the picture was lame and he might have got away with it if when his boss rang him he had shown some humility but no he said after 30 seconds he used 2 words to his boss and terminated the phone call, sheer arrogance.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 12-May-2019 17:53 Message #4740056
I think the BBC are scared of their own shadow these days, the fear of upsetting someone is uppermost in their minds the whole time and, in my view, doesn't make for a good broadcaster.
There have been numerous examples of their fear in recent weeks and months - even when reporting on Danny Baker's sacking they made a point of saying we have chosen not to show the image.
Although, I suppose after sacking him, it would have looked odd showing the image on every news bulletin. Every other news outlet didn't see a problem showing it though.
Personally, I think the BBC are getting themselves increasingly in a muddle and losing credibility as a serious broadcaster...
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 12-May-2019 19:46 Message #4740069
The media are now scared of their own shadow thanks to PC and professional offence takers.
We have become a nation of apologists.
One of the funniest things I heard on LBC radio yesterday concerned the Danny Baker incident.
The presenter was sort of trying to defend Baker when a woman rang in and said she was offended that he was not offended enough so he apologised for not being offended enough.
This is getting ridiculous.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 13-May-2019 13:27 Message #4740104
All the talk and joviality which racist remarks can attract do seem to be aimed at excusing it.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »