Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Our past and preservations.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 8-May-2019 07:28 Message #4739748
Missing piece of Stonehenge returned to ancient monument.

Is it important to you that we preserve our ancient monuments?

Should we have so many preservation orders in old houses and even old trees?
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 8-May-2019 10:22 Message #4739767
Yes we should keep old monuments or old buildings. I like looking at the past to ser how things used
to be and still is. Afterall it is our heritage and we should preserve it.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 8-May-2019 10:24 Message #4739768
Oops again typing too fast as i used to be a shorthand/typist. But then i was using the old tyoewriters not a computer keyboard where the keys are close together ha ha

Should be see
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-May-2019 11:17 Message #4739773
Yes we should, we are custodians of our history and old trees are important, they're also living beings, what could they tell us if we could talk? Theres still so much ancient monuments can tell us about how we lived, how we developed as societies, so many old narratives have been overturned by recent research on ancient monument sites, people wern't static our ancestors travelled vast distances to trade, to learn to visit special places.

I do get the frustration of people living in listed houses at not being able to change certain things at having to have like for like, I think its a double edged sword as the buildings are more likely to fall into ruin because of the cost of like for like upkeep, but its also important that they're lived in and are actually houses and not museums and if people are going to spend mega bucks on a house then some latitude over what changes they can make should be considered.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 8-May-2019 16:29 Message #4739803
Of course, we should preserve historic sites, listed buildings, old trees, artefacts, ancient monuments. They are steeped in history, and are a testament to our ancestors. Also they are incredibly beautiful.

Totally fascinated by listed buildings/homes that people still live in. Even if you can't have double glazing, and unexplained creaking can occur. Could just gaze at them for ages like a masterpiece.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 8-May-2019 17:15 Message #4739809
many buyers of listed properties don't, before buying, even obtain the actual listing which should at least give an indication of the features that are most likely to be protected. The listing may say the house has interesting ironwork, for example. There is a rotting ornamental balcony that you wanted to get rid of, but instead you find yourself having to restore it at great expense.
For the majority whose house is Grade II, the consent will usually be given by the local planning authority, possibly after consultation with conservation groups; but with the higher grades, English Heritage is called in.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2000/nov/05/observercashsection.theobserver4

Remember Terresa Gorman MP?

In 1996 Teresa Gorman’s solicitors threatened her with bankruptcy – which would have meant the loss of her seat – for alleged non-payment of a £60,000 bill run up during a planning dispute with Thurrock Council. The Gormans – who also had a house near the Commons – had made 33 alterations to their constituency home, a listed Tudor farmhouse, without permission. After being fined £3,000 they gave in and had a new porch demolished (and UPVC Windows replaced)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11831247/Teresa-Gorman-Tory-MP-obituary.html
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-May-2019 18:54 Message #4739822
Many people don't bother getting a normal pre-house buying survey or get the cheapest one possible, personally I'd always go for the most extensive possible whether it was listed or not.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-May-2019 19:00 Message #4739824
Of course, we should preserve historic sites, listed buildings, old trees, artefacts, ancient monuments. They are steeped in history, and are a testament to our ancestors. Also they are incredibly beautiful.

Totally fascinated by listed buildings/homes that people still live in. Even if you can't have double glazing, and unexplained creaking can occur. Could just gaze at them for ages like a masterpiece

Absolutely. It’s preferable when the person buying such properties has a genuine wish to preserve it but at the very least (Labour and Conservative and other MPs included to keep Goodfella happy) they should know what is involved and do nothing detrimental to the buildings.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-May-2019 12:02 Message #4739870
I like to lie in bed and listen to an old house as it creaks and settles, its almost like its getting itself comfortable for the night.

I love our prehistory I find it facinating, it seems that Stonehenge was the culmination of a tradition of such monuments coming south from the Orkney Islands, a north to south cultural spread seems a bit strange to us when we're so London centric. Stonehenge is contemporary with The Great Pyramid in Egypt and its the youngest such monument in Britain, what were our ancestors doing? Why were they doing it, what did it mean to them? I know we will never really know the answers but it all intrigues me.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »