Conversation Travel Holidays and Meetups
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Holidays

How do you choose yours?

Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 5-May-2019 10:43 Message #4739568
I have just booked my summer holiday. I'm restricted by having to go in August so the choice came down to two. 1 is half board with quite a few trips included and the option of a couple more. 2 is breakfasts and two dinners and a half day trip. I chose holiday one as I prefer to get out and see the sites than lie round a pool or on the beach. Yes the first one was more expensive but it sounds a lot more interesting.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 5-May-2019 15:23 Message #4739578
I choose mine by destination and bucket list. And I tend to save up and go for the long haul. Churchill in Canada for the polar bears, but that's quite pricey so saving up for that.

Beaches in England are great, though I'm not a lie on the beach type. Lots of places in the UK are great, for a short break and historical sites and scenery you can't beat it.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 5-May-2019 16:26 Message #4739583
If going on holiday in this country I never book anywhere; I just go. I take a tent and please myself. I do also do house sitting for free accommodation in this country and others, which I only tried a couple of years ago. Have had six weeks in Australia and a couple in Spain and also a couple of weeks in Ireland and lots of housesits all over the UK, so worth doing. If doing long haul I usually just book first nights accommodation and just travel around. Have been to various parts of Australia and NZ when the exchange rate was much better. Always took a small tent with me though and either camped or stayed in backpackers. Recently I have been to various parts of Indonesia, where you can stay in luxury for very little money. I have tried the package thing a couple of times with Mercury Direct, a while back, where it was pay for two weeks and get the third free. However I find I have very little in common with the poeple who stay at these places; the majority just wanting to lounge by the pool and eat. I remember staying at one such and ended up chatting to couple, who had been there ten days. They asked me what the beach was like across the road??? Had not even ventured that far. I was in the sea two minutes after arriving and every morning before breakfast and had walked miles around the coast path and just been exploring so many places and they had not left the hotel. I am frequently last minute on making decisions where to go though. Only booked my last flight to Indonesia just over two weeks before departing. I then do any planning as I go, such as shall I stay here tomorrow, or move on? Then decide where?
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 5-May-2019 16:31 Message #4739585
P.S. The couple of occasions that I did go with Mercury Direct quite some time ago, I was able to book the 'no single suppliment' option.
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 5-May-2019 18:34 Message #4739597
Sea Urchin,
I remember going to Rhodes with Friendship Travel a few years ago and all the women and most of the men lay round the pool all day apart from one day when they went down to the beach. One man did go into Rhodes town while I booked on all the trips and went out most days then came back and told them all about my day. I understand that people go abroad for the sunshine but they are missing so much else in my opinion.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 11-May-2019 07:32 Message #4739958
I think a great many people only go on holiday abroad for the sunshine. The British weather is too unpredictable for sun worshippers.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 11-May-2019 12:34 Message #4739971
It's not just the weather though, it's the evenings after the shops etc. have closed. Here, most places will be dead whereas abroad it won't, especially Spain where most have been recharges by their afternoon siesta.
It's just so nice after a day busy doing nothing, to just simply go out for a wander or people watch along the seafront or in town on a warm Med (or wherever) evening, where everything will still be open and lively.
I'm not talking 18-30 resorts of just nightclubs/bars etc as that would just be hellish except for those that like that sort of thing.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 28-May-2019 20:21 Message #4740853
I have a knack of picking somewhere just before it turns dangerous to visit. Went to Tunisia 3 months before the beach shootings and then started planning Sri Lanka before the recent trouble and ended up going back to Turkey again instead.

Best holiday so far was Alaska. I'd say interest over sunshine too, but actually had pretty good weather seeing as it was end of season.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 29-May-2019 00:04 Message #4740871
Birds first and other nature, mountains and maybe a little archaeology thrown in. Northern Greece is great for that. I'm not much of a sun worshipper and I have to be doing something. I'm off to Ladakh in a few weeks, at the western end of the Indian Himalaya, sometimes known as Western Tibet.
It's a high altitude cold desert with some gobsmacking mountains and the highest motorable road over the Khardung La Pass at 18,379 ft. I've wanted to go there for a long time and I need to get my skates on as tolerance to altitude usually declines with age. It's been on my bucket list since childhood, though how I ever managed to hear about it back then, god only knows.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 29-May-2019 06:23 Message #4740872
I don't choose my holidays. I wait for some rich, fit babe to say, 'I'm taking you on holiday'.

Haven't had a holiday in 64 years.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 29-May-2019 09:33 Message #4740884
Mine are usually decided by my granddaughter...Am I staying in Swindon with you or are you coming back down to Plymouth? She nearly always chooses Plymouth. Once we get her passport sorted we'll start hopping on the ferry and visit France & Spain though she is now showing an interest in Wales.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Jul-2019 06:04 Message #4743698
It’s that time of year.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 06:59 Message #4744355
Tend to take short breaks, in this country, usually as a catch up with me mates
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon 10-Jul-2019 07:52 Message #4744363
I do the same terry. I haven't any plans to fly anywhere although being in a wheelchair I get priority treatment at airports and Im first on the plane. Even in this country I need to plan a but to make sure i dont get into rough terrain or steep hills but I dont worry too much as everyone is so helpful whereever I go.

Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 17-Jul-2019 08:07 Message #4745317
We do something every weekend whether it's a walk in the woods or a trip out with friends which takes off the longing for an annual holiday. Not that I wouldn't like to fly off somewhere warm for a fortnight but it's not going to happen.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 17-Jul-2019 08:36 Message #4745323
I base mine on when I can get LO in respite care for a week.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 17-Jul-2019 10:40 Message #4745330
Can’t be bothered at the moment single holidays don’t rock my boat.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 17-Jul-2019 21:41 Message #4745413
Wolsey has informed me where I,m going this year lol
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 18-Jul-2019 06:18 Message #4745436
These days ... No long haul. No beaches. No alcoholic binges. No naughty ladies. No over-eating. No loud music. Maybe I’ll not bother.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 20-Jul-2019 13:31 Message #4745700
I google. I google for ideas of places to go then I google the hotels and the places of interest even the culture and history. I use tripadvisor too.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 20-Jul-2019 15:51 Message #4745724
You're well organised Katie. No chance of you getting lost.
Female
RoseyCheeks  Female  Nottinghamshire 22-Jul-2019 19:00 Message #4745935
I Google for information, but not for ideas, I've always got a list as long as my arm of places I'd like to go. YouTube is great for planning too.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »