Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Have you voted? Will you vote?

Is there voting in your area?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-May-2019 10:44 Message #4739441
Well I have been and done my duty, I was the only "customer" in the village hall and the woman seemed shocked to see me, but the day was young...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-May-2019 10:54 Message #4739443
No elections here today.
Male
connexkev  Male  East Sussex 2-May-2019 10:56 Message #4739444
I will be voting in a couple of hours
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-May-2019 12:12 Message #4739451
I posted my vote earlier in the week and posted one for my son today. My daughter usually drops her postal one off at the ballot place.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-May-2019 12:21 Message #4739453
Everyone should vote whenever they have the opportunity.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 2-May-2019 12:36 Message #4739455
No, no point. Its a done deal here the Tories will walk it as usual even allowing for all the cock ups they have made.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-May-2019 12:41 Message #4739456
Don’t you think that if everyone thought like that then nothing would ever change?
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 2-May-2019 12:42 Message #4739457
No voting in the Metropolis.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 2-May-2019 15:55 Message #4739467
23rd of May in this neck o' the woods.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 2-May-2019 18:16 Message #4739473
"Everyone should vote whenever they have the opportunity"

Totally agree...however...I'm afraid I didn't get around to filling out my postal vote slip. :-(
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 2-May-2019 19:01 Message #4739476
I voted and even spoke to one of the local councillors, a really useful conversation which confirmed I am voting for the right party locally.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 2-May-2019 19:16 Message #4739477
Yess I did vote
and yes I will vote on the 23rd
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 2-May-2019 20:49 Message #4739479
I shall be voting on the 23rd. No local voting in my area.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 3-May-2019 06:51 Message #4739494
Postal vote in a couple of weeks ago.
Nothing will change if people don't vote.

Nothing will change round here as it is a VERY historical voting area.

Chris.

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-May-2019 09:51 Message #4739498
Well interesting results so far - as expected the Tories are getting punished, but Labour are taking a hit too.
The Lib Dems have seen a surge in support as have the "others", but what does it all mean?
Are people punishing the two main parties for failing to deliver Brexit and using the Lib Dems purely as a protest vote, or are people sending the clear message that they now want Brexit stopped?
It's as clear as mud, just imagine how messy a General Election would be...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-May-2019 11:02 Message #4739499
I think people do vote for other priorities more in local elections than general ones, I don't think we should put everything down to Brexit, but maybe more local things, like bins, potholes and local services. The Greens have don't really well and UKIP have lost out, theres more independents too.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-May-2019 12:14 Message #4739507
Hmm, that's normally true, but I can't believe all those Tory and Labour councils/councillors have performed so badly regarding potholes and bin collections that they've been ousted in such huge numbers...
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 3-May-2019 12:14 Message #4739508
I voted. I voted on a local issues basis and not for the party I voted for in the last election, nor for the party I will probably vote for in the next General Election.

I want our dismal town improved and the parking on our estate sorted - whether or not we are in the EU.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-May-2019 12:33 Message #4739511
In spite of some thinking I worship Corbyn, I am happy to see the LibDems come back.

I am though, relieved and delighted to see the Conservatives lose so many seats, but in Trafford, we are now wholly Labor-run and the local issues have been being dealt with more responsively to local complaints of the past. The privatised bin collections that have been unreliable are being held to account and the off-roading surfaces on local roads have a date for being replaced. We even have the local school doing litter picks and there is much less rubbish around.

Funnily enough, Corbyn has visited only a couple of miles down the road but I am not in need to visit him.

Overall, I'm glad we have more variable seats contributing to diluting the Conservative now held by Lib Dems, Greens, and some Independents which I hope will have more of a voice in reversing many of the harmful changes the Conservatives have done to contribute to more poverty.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 3-May-2019 17:37 Message #4739514
Rushmoor - Conservatives held all their seats and still have an overall majority.

So, no chance of getting the Community Centre replaced then. They will go ahead with demolishing it and another block of flats will go up, probably without adequate parking as has been the case with the multitude of nasty looking blocks that have appeared in recent years.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 3-May-2019 17:49 Message #4739515
Turnout in this ward was 26% - and it wasn't the lowest turnout in the Borough. That was 24%.
Democracy in action...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-May-2019 18:42 Message #4739517
With such a low turnout, I think shouldn't be allowed to form a council, or have a mandatory hung one.

I too am pleased to see the Lib/Dems and Greens win so many council seats, although I've noticed that the Lib/Dems often attract local votes but not national ones, I hope when we get a GE people will still vote Lib/Dem and Green. Labour and Conservative both doing badly is almost certainly in part due to Brexit, but i'm surprised that UKIP did so badly and there was no Brexit bounce for them.

One of the commentaries I saw wondered if the dislike of the two party system is being reflected in this election, I wonder how low the MP numbers of the two main parties would have to go before they'd accept a change to FPTP?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-May-2019 19:03 Message #4739521
It's good to see the Lib Dems coming back, but they are the local election "go to" if you're protesting. A move straight from Tory to Labour or vice versa is a step too far for most, so the Lib Dems do tend to fill the role of halfway house.
It was a bad night for us Tory faithful, but I'm really chuffed Labour didn't bounce, you could argue it's worse for them because everybody expected the Tories to get trashed, our good friend Barry Gardiner was predicting perhaps a 400 seat gain for Labour.
I wonder if Corbyn will still be calling for a GE at every opportunity he gets?...
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-May-2019 19:30 Message #4739523
I think Nigel Farage will be asking for a GE soon.
Time to get rid of the losers.
The biggest mistake would be to fail to deliver Brexit by 22nd May, that lets Farage in.
They may be able to delay, but people have had enough.
I did not vote, but think I might enjoy the Euro elections.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-May-2019 19:32 Message #4739524
Didn't have any local elections here...They are due next year.

With regards to General elections, I believe there will always be either Conservatives or Labour in charge in this country ( sometimes with a bit of coalition help )

I don't think enough people ever want to vote for anything else, and even in the days of Owen/Steele, and their 'go back to your constituencies and prepare for Government' thing, it didn't happen.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »