Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Minister sacked

defence secretary

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-May-2019 18:39 Message #4739418
Gaving WIlliamson has been sacked for alleedly leaking security council descisions to the papers, he says he didn't do it.

He's been replaced by Penny Mordaunt and Rory Stewart has taken over her job at international development.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 1-May-2019 18:43 Message #4739419
And...
The Speaker has announced that the Recall Petition in Peterborough has been successful. As more than 10% of the constituency's electorate signed the petition, Fiona Onasanya is no longer an MP and there will be a by-election in Peterborough.
Who needs Brexit for a political excitement...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-May-2019 18:47 Message #4739421
Oh good, I'm glad she's gone, I think a criminal conviction should automatically mean a byelection.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 1-May-2019 19:05 Message #4739423
What secrets did he leak. Or possibly the Huawei contract.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 1-May-2019 19:46 Message #4739427
I wouldn’t expect all politicians to be squeaky clean but a criminal offence should mean a by-election and leaking security council decisions must be an instant dismissal too. You cant employ people who are untrustworthy.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 1-May-2019 20:54 Message #4739432
Would that include all those that conspired to stop Brexit? And those known to hold a criminal conviction . What an utter joke.

Huawei are big. They are the biggest telecom. company at present. And of course they are based in China. The USA will not use them.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-May-2019 22:16 Message #4739433
If someone betrays confidences and leaks official information the dirty deed is done. What the information was is irrelevant.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 1-May-2019 22:32 Message #4739434
Gavin Williamson, was an odd choice to be elevated to the Secretary of State for Defence, given that previously he served as a PPS & Chief Whip. But I guess Mrs May needed to keep her Cabinet pro her.
But his 2 years in office have been compared to Private Pike from Dad's Army, So presumably not a good choice.
Given his refusal to resign rather than be sacked and his protestations that neither he or any of his civil servants had anything to do with the Huawei leak from the NSC meeting it seems like a stitch up.
This won't be the last we hear of this.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 1-May-2019 23:34 Message #4739436
Ms Onasanya, was jailed in January, and released the following month, after lying about a speeding offence. Gavin Williamson was sacked for breaking the official secrets Act. Lying is a common trait by all politicians. Ms Onasanya lied and fell on her false words. Rightly so. But lies have been proven by the right wing nut jobs, in the Brexit lies. Red bus with millions promised on it. Manipulation of peoples data, in facebook and other social platforms by the pro Brexit millionaire funded organisations via Cambridge Analytica. Lies appear to be the genetic makeup of Privately educated conservative mp's. And yet, someone lied about who was driving a car, appears more criminal. We are all being lied to, and our moral codes and ignorance, determines what we see as the worse.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-May-2019 07:42 Message #4739437
Hmm I don't think Ms Onasanya fell as such, she certainly didn't jump either - I think clinging on to her highly paid MP's job with all her might until the voters finally booted her out would be a more appropriate description.
Also, I don't think lying is the preserve of right wingers, nor MP's, for that matter...
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 2-May-2019 07:47 Message #4739438
What a shame you went with the flow but didn’t stop to have an original or unbiased thought of your own.
lying is a trait of all politicians : what a stupid remark lying is a trait of some politicians as it is in all professions and indeed among members of the public.
right wing nut jobs : never left wing nut jobs? ?
lies appear to be the genetic makeup of privately educated conservative mp s : even more stupid that your original remark which completely contradicts this one when you quoted all mp’s
It quite obvious what you see as the worse which is anyone or anything you disagree with. Mind you don’t hurt yourself falling off your high horse.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-May-2019 10:54 Message #4739442
A criminal conviction is a matter of public record, people can decide to elect someone with a conviction, but if crime is commited whilst in office then they should have to hold a byelection. Perverting the course of justice is a more serious offence than the one she was originally charged with.

I think with the Williamson sacking there are two equally important parts to this, the first is, how can you trust a minister or senior civil servant who has signed the official secrets acts not leak other material? Those involved need a safe confidential space to discuss matters of national security, I would of thought that was a given for any government?

The second point is Huawei itself and how much we want to give a foreign government access to our information infrastructure, the Chinese government has decreed that all Chinese information technology has a back door to enable it to monitor, influence and potentially shut networks down. We are the only one of the Five Eyes international intelligence sharing group to consider allowing Huawei into its infrastructure, many other countries are equally wary. Huawei's founder can insist all he likes that he won't comply with China's official policy, but it will be very hard for him to ignore and resist, his wealth won't protect him as it might in another country. I actually think the US is right to be wary of China, I think we should all be more wary of them, people go on about electoral interferance from Russia probably rightly so, but I think the threat from China is far more subtle and profound.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 2-May-2019 12:50 Message #4739459
Is the troll back ?.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 2-May-2019 13:20 Message #4739461
I was sent something the other day to have a think about ahead of deciding who to vote for:-
Imagine working for an organisation with approx 635 employees, where:-
29 have been accused of spousal abuse, 7 have been arrested for fraud,
9 have been accused of writing bad cheques, 17 have directly or indirectly bankrupt at least 2 businesses,
3 have done time for assault, 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit,
14 have been arrested on drug related charges, 8 have been accused of shoplifting,
21 are currently defendants in lawsuits, 84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last year,
and collectively this year alone they have cost the taxpayer just under £93 million in expenses.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the House of Commons.

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-May-2019 14:17 Message #4739464
Hmm I would suggest the only major difference between that particular 635 and 635 employees working elsewhere is the £93million cost.
One wonders where such info comes from...
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 2-May-2019 15:49 Message #4739465
I am new to this forum and find your comment/reply discourteous and insulting. With carefully omitted points, I posted to suit your own apparent over sensitive support of a certain political party.

My thoughts are my own and derive from my experience and understanding of events and occurrences in my life. Unbiased sitting on the fence, is for cowards who rather shoot from a sedentary position than having the bottle to stand up and be counted.

You omitted "Lying is a (common) trait by all politicians." from your twisted interpretation of mine. Common being the key word. As in common as muck. Or, Sniping from the sidelines. Even Churchill, that great Tory buffoon, who committed genocide, by deliberately starving 6-7 million Indians to death, continued to foster Muslim-Hindu antipathy that led to the horrors of the Indian Partition and persuaded his War Cabinet on the racist Partition of Palestine. Said about politicians and lies "The politician is asked to stand, he wants to sit, and he is expected to lie." Winston Churchill.

You also omitted "lies have been proven by the right wing nut jobs, (in the Brexit lies. Red bus with millions promised on it)". If your going to nit pick and insult my posts from behind your Keyboard. Then at least quote me correctly.

I suspect by your eagerness to misquote me and defend the Brexit liars, that you assume what was fed to you is true. Thank you for revealing your biased defence of the political liars you attach yourself to. I look forward to duelling with your ignorance in the future.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-May-2019 15:55 Message #4739466
Yay! is Good2BeWith back with us or am I mistaken?...
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-May-2019 17:02 Message #4739471
Yay! is Good2BeWith back with us or am I mistaken?...

LOL.

I am also new to this forum but a little shy at the moment so I won't post anything too controversial.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 2-May-2019 18:20 Message #4739474
"lies have been proven by the right wing nut jobs"

If they've been proven then they're not lies are they?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 2-May-2019 20:44 Message #4739478
Gavin Williamson is insisting on an inquiry. He swears on his children's lives that he did not do it.

Well Mrs May, you seem to have somehow bungled this one as well. She says the case is closed. You're sacked , because I think you did it. Are we entering the May dictatorship now. Give the man a proper hearing.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 2-May-2019 20:51 Message #4739480
Revealing a countries secrets? I think Williamson should sneak away and hide in suitable embassy.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 2-May-2019 21:01 Message #4739482
Wrong thread TW

I think Williamson will fight his corner. Watch out TM.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-May-2019 21:09 Message #4739484
Revealing a countries secrets? I think Williamson should sneak away and hide in suitable embassy.

Lol spot on. We can’t have anyone betraying our country to the media remaining in a position of trust.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 2-May-2019 21:14 Message #4739486
Especially if he said he didn't to it eh? Well if May says he did it, who are you to argue. She's doing such a brilliant job. You suit.

Where did that thread go. shucks.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-May-2019 21:17 Message #4739487
I do believe many guilty persons say they are innocent. Have never noticed this phenomena?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »