Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Drinkable

Plastic alternative

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 28-Apr-2019 23:46 Message #4739360
Haven't looked into it too much yet, so it might be fake; apparently there's a collective or a company have developed a plastic alternative that is degradable and can even be drunk when mixed in water. It's supposedly made from vegetable matter.

Just wondered if anyone had heard of it or knows anything about it?
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 29-Apr-2019 09:24 Message #4739364
There was one that I was reading about last month which is about to be launched, which is a biopolymer bottle developed by a Californian company called Cove.
That bottle is 100% compostable and will breakdown, eventually, into water, CO2 and organic waste.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-Apr-2019 10:33 Message #4739365
I had my Which magazine covered this month in a new bag made from potato starch, its in the compost bin now so I will see if I find it whole, in bits or not at all next year. They are out there, these new plastic alternatives, along with packing peanuts made from wheat chaff that can be used for animal bedding and when wet return to damp chaff and can go on the compost.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 29-Apr-2019 18:25 Message #4739370
This one I saw is developed by a company called Avidi, from Bali and is made from vegetable polymers, the bumph I've seen looks interesting though it will no doubt come down to cost.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 29-Apr-2019 19:06 Message #4739372
Plastic alternatives have actually been around for some time now. I know they have been used at music festivals I have been to. The ones I know of have been made from corn starch and have had something like 'I am not a plastic glass or cup' written on them.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 30-Apr-2019 08:16 Message #4739377
Starch based magazine wrappers and sandwich containers, both from National Trust, which went onto my compost heap last summer, had by late November partially disintergrated; when the heap was turned in early March, there were just a few recognisable fragments - unlike the banana skins.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 30-Apr-2019 10:51 Message #4739379
I had a coke with my usual Happy Meal from McD's the other night and found the drinking straw felt very strange in my mouth! McD's have substituted paper/cardboard straws for the plastic one. May not be PC to say it, but drinking my coke just didn't feel as enjoyable but I know it was for the best for the world, if not for me! Sure I'll cope!
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 3-May-2019 13:20 Message #4739512
All straws were paper when I was a child.

My RSBB magazine comes in a "plastic" wrapper made from bamboo. Good idea but I hope they leave some for the Pandas. Not sure what to do with it. I don't think it is allowed in our recycling bin as it is not paper, card (wood pulp) or a plastic bottle (the only items collected) and our gardens are not large enough for a compost heap. If I put it in the general bin it will be burned along with the rest of the plastic.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-May-2019 18:56 Message #4739519
If it goes into landfil then it will rot down to nothing, do you not have a compost heap on your lottie?

I don't think theres any worry about not enough bamboo, it can be quite invasive and grows like nettles, turn your back on it and its crept across half your garden.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »