Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Watching a load of old black and white stuff recently

and I've seen...

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 27-Apr-2019 09:00 Message #4739288
a really young Leslie Nielsen acting seriously, and Telly Savalas with hair.

I'm really enjoying watching some of the old series again. Like Hitchcock Presents, Outer Limits, Boris Karloff's series, and One step beyond, amongst others.

Do you watch any old stuff, and have you seen any people in them who went on to be famous in more recognisable roles?
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 27-Apr-2019 09:34 Message #4739291
Is that on Talking Pictures?
I have 3 or 4 old films on my Tivo box waiting to be viewed. It was lovely to watch the brilliant Passport to Pimlico again recently - with Charles Hawtree in a minor part as a young lad. Gretchen Franklin (Ethel in Eastenders many years ago) pops up in British films quite frequently. I enjoy spotting the "future household names" in the old movies and series on offer.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 27-Apr-2019 09:51 Message #4739295
I love watching black and white films ... As a child loved laurel and hardy and Norman wisdom films ...lol oooh mr grimsdale lol
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 27-Apr-2019 09:56 Message #4739297
I don't buy DVD's but as my son was stuck was to get me for a couple of Christmas's there are two films I love and now have.

1. Harvey (James Stewart)
2. Hobson's Choice (John Mills)

I also was bought an old TV series Belle & Sebastion in French by my daughter.

I always think once engrossed in a b/w film, you don't even notice the lack of colour or even moving scenery.

I don't really have time to watch all the films I'd like, but it is interesting seeing people who grew into being leading actors who often appeared as teenagers or kids as extras or minor parts but I can't name any right now.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 27-Apr-2019 10:07 Message #4739299
Good replies...It's interesting spotting people in them.

Another that spring to mind is the young kid in the Charlie Chaplin film, The Kid...He went on to be Uncle Fester in the Addams family...Jackie Coogan.

I get most of the ones I watch from things like Youtube, Dailymotion or Putlocker.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Apr-2019 11:03 Message #4739303
My favourite black and white film is Arsnic and Old Lace with a very young Cary Grant, its all grainy and the sets are wobbly but its still very funny. I can't remember if its black and white but one of my other favourite old films is Monsuir Houlot's Holiday directed by Jacques Tati, its mostly silent, very little dialogue but I find it funny and I like that you actually have to watch it, rather than listen to it whilst scanning other screens or talking to people.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 27-Apr-2019 11:39 Message #4739307
Love the old Hollywood legends stars. they don't put enough on the telly. Also like the old westerns, and black and white comedy acts.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 27-Apr-2019 12:39 Message #4739311
I used to like watching the old black and white films on a weekend afternoon but they seemed to have been replaced with reality shows now
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 27-Apr-2019 12:59 Message #4739312
JustLyn, I'm a fan of Harvey too. I had the pleasure of seeing James Stewart reprise the role in the stage show in 1975 when he was in his 60s. I see there is a new production in London now.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 27-Apr-2019 14:43 Message #4739317
Hey!
WH,

My partner and me drove to a little art cinema The Horse & Bamboo Theatre in Rochdale to see Monsuir Houlot's Holiday a couple of years ago. I thought I would be bored but no, I loved it. It is one of his favourites too.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 27-Apr-2019 14:46 Message #4739318
I loved James Stewart, especially that Christmas one "It's a Wonderful Life".

I took one of my friends to a showing in Manchester and he was amazed the theatre wasn't only sold out, but all the audience applauded with enjoyment at the end.
I think a lot of younger people hadn't expected to enjoy it so much.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Apr-2019 18:23 Message #4739323
I think a lot of old films had have a proper story instead of relying on techinical wizzardry, CGI and stuff.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 28-Apr-2019 10:53 Message #4739337
I’ve watched quite a few in the past couple of years and find you soon forget that they are “dated” and enjoy them a lot. I think they show over 100 each week on Talking Pictures ( freeview ) and lots on other digital channels.
Male
MrNatural  Male  Essex 28-Apr-2019 14:23 Message #4739341
Someone should start a thread of the best black & white films:

Kind Hearts and Coronets, Casablanca, Some Like it Hot, Psycho, Brief Encounter, It's a Wonderful Life? The kind of films no one should ever dare remake.

Female
Drusilla  Female  Bedfordshire 28-Apr-2019 19:20 Message #4739353
I have recently enjoyed watching Brief Encounter and the old version of Jane Eyre with Orson Welles as Mr Rochester. He was indeed very dark, brooding and charismatic in his performance of the role. Wonderful stuff! Wish they would show a lot more black and white movies on tv and just scrap all that 'reality' and 'celebrity' nonsense.
Male
MrNatural  Male  Essex 28-Apr-2019 19:51 Message #4739354
In Kind Hearts and Coronets the young reporter who askes for Louis D'Ascoyne's memoirs right at the end is Captain Mainwaring.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 30-Apr-2019 01:21 Message #4739375
WH
...a proper story, lack of cgi etc...yes!
I was thinking that some months ago when there was a series of great b&w films on BBC2. I was so involved when viewing them, much more than usual when I watch most films at home. Particularly the lack of loud "mood" music, directing the audience to feel or react a certain way. Without that, special effects, obligatory car chases etc, the films were strong on plot and good casting.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 30-Apr-2019 08:16 Message #4739376
I watch them. Two things I find very noticeable is that most of the stars are smoking and no-one has those American teeth.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 1-May-2019 09:23 Message #4739391
I watched black and white films with my parents, as a child and grown up, too. Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers and Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds were favourites with mum and dad. And still are with me!
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 1-May-2019 13:19 Message #4739393
I always liked 'The 39 Steps' with, I think Kenneth Moore? was that his name?

The thing about black and white, I think, is that because there is a lack of colour, our minds are taken up by the plot and dialogue. There was one on recently, the title escapes me for the moment, starred Charles Hawtrey and was set in a northern mill town where two of his daughters were to be married and the third daughter they thought would never marry - but she had other ideas - and married John Mills who played the part of an ill educated bloke very well. I've probably got those actors names wrong but hopefully you'll know the one I mean, was a very famous book as well.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 1-May-2019 17:35 Message #4739412
terry Sex icon 1-May-2019 13:19

That would be 'Hobsons Choice'. A very good film staring Charles Laughton and John Mills. Several other actors in this film are to be seen in many later films but I don't recall seeing the daughters in other roles.

SQL
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 1-May-2019 18:36 Message #4739417
Glad you reminded me of Hobsons Choice...I may settle down and watch it tonight...I have noticed that a young Prunella Scales is one of the daughters in it.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-May-2019 00:11 Message #4739493
Anyone remember the 'colour strike' in 70/71?

By then, many were getting colour tellies, and the 'colour was the big thing, only for a strike to happen, which meant the 'colour' bit was turned off for recording some programs, so it all went back to black and white again...I'm not sure off the top of my head if it was still filmed in colour, but the strike meant it couldn't be shown in colour, pr something, but there is wiki info about it I think.

So when you watch some old series, some of the episodes half way through the series go back to being black and white for a while.

I wonder if something similar could happen now?
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 4-May-2019 09:05 Message #4739543
Charles Laughton always gave me the creeps! Never liked watching him in the old black and white films with mum and dad.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »