Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

State Visit

... for Mr Trump in June

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 24-Apr-2019 15:46 Message #4739164
Am I treading on dangerous ground. Or maybe he is ...

Any comments ….

I know what I think. But I don't want to go first.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 24-Apr-2019 15:56 Message #4739166
Poor Queen having to put up with that uncouth lout. They should hobble him for a start to stop him committing the insult of walking in front of her. Then they should gag him - for obvious reasons. Luckily he can't stay at the Palace. The guest bedroom will be needing urgent redecoration at about the time he is visiting, or so I have heard.

Perhaps he should be allowed to speak in Parliament, as some equally unsavoury Heads of State have done. Parliament is broadcast and it can be amusing to hear him make a fool of himself.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 24-Apr-2019 16:00 Message #4739168
Most peoples views are just going to be in line with their own agendas and bias.

Trump haters are going to be out in force. Anything and everything he does will be ridiculed, hated, criticised.

I personally think he was voted in to ruffle a few feathers, and ruffle a few feathers he has. Much needed, I think.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 24-Apr-2019 16:03 Message #4739170
I don’t like Trump and I don’t think he is a very good president but the Americans voted him in and he is the leader of one of the world’s most powerful countries and a country which is an important ally to the U.K.
In no way is he one of the worst leaders and I don’t see any reason to have strong feelings about his coming here. Maybe his visit will be beneficial particularly if we leave the E.U. and need new partners to trade with.
I’m sure we will see the same professional protesters maybe diverting from their save the world campaign and perhaps we will see the return of the childish blimp which I found more embarrassing than Trump himself.
I hope we can show ourselves as a mature and reasonable nation.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 24-Apr-2019 16:05 Message #4739171
He is the head of the USA voted in by the people so should be received with the same welcome as any other President or Head of State .
There have been some dreadful people welcomed to the UK and the Palace in the past.
If the Queen can shake hands with Martin McGuinness then she must with the US President.

By denying him or disrespecting the Office he stands for disrespecting the American people who voted him in.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 24-Apr-2019 18:23 Message #4739177
One of the main reasons he is coming here is to take part in the commemorations for the American troops that died in the second World war helping us or have some of you forgotten that.

The other night in a documentary the failed politician Ed Balls was in America desperately trying to find people to slag off Trump but he was not having much luck.
Even a black pastor with a large church and tv following supports Trump and said black unemployment is the lowest for years and Trump had done more in 1 yr than Obama did in 8yrs. Balls did not like that.
I would choose Trump any day over the bunch of losers we have.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 24-Apr-2019 18:47 Message #4739178
I've not forgotten it Barney, but I don't see why we should be bound by gratitude forever more, the Mayor of Portsmouth where the main bulk of the celebrations are being held dosen't want Trump there as he says it will be all about Trump and his security needs rather than about the ordinary people they're supposed to be celebrating.

I do get that he's the democratically elected head of one of our closest allies, but practically everything he stands for seems to be against British values, I don't think he should be allowed to address parliament, I didn't think the Chinese bloke should of done either, I think to roll over for Trump and grant him everything he wishes makes us look weak. With the farce thats Brexit I think we look weak enough internationally as it is, we don't need to add to it by allowing him and his vile views anymore oxygen than they already have.

Last time he was here he was helicoptered everywhere and didn't see how deeply unpopular he is to many British people, I wonder how military vetrans and thier families will feel about having a draft dodger poncing about pretending he's a "big man"?.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 24-Apr-2019 19:10 Message #4739182
I've never been able to understand the fuss. Rather than listen to the constant media brainwash of putting down Trump, judge him by what he has achieved, and his resolve to carry out the promises he made during his election campaign.

He was not the choice of their political establishment, but of the people, and voted in accordance with their system. And every slur in the book, I reckon, has been hurled at him, and yet they have not been able to find anything to get him impeached.

He is the representative of America, our greatest ally, yet some are so ridiculously stuck up because of his less than polished manners, he's a native New Yorker, he's true to character. And as for Bercow, you'd think he owned parliament.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 24-Apr-2019 21:40 Message #4739190
The Americans voted him in, he was elected. I quite like President Trump, as mentioned above, he ruffled some feathers, and rocked the boat!

Didn't the queen have Mugabe to visit her once? Or some other African who was up to no good... far worse than President Trump.

All this banning people, banning speeches, banning memes and banning hand gestures... depending on who does/says it, is ridiculous.

In some ways, President Trump being elected is a result of all this.

I'd be happy for President Trump to visit!
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 24-Apr-2019 21:45 Message #4739191
Actually he lost the popular vote by about 3 million.
But because of the system for electing the POTUS he only needed votes in 3 key states to secure the Electoral College to receive the required majority of electoral votes.

No doubt the weasel Bercow will be looking for another 5 minutes of fame and deny Trump the chance to address Parliament.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 24-Apr-2019 22:18 Message #4739195
"Poor Queen having to put up with that uncouth lout."

When you consider some of the nasty people the Queen has had to entertain and shake hands with, I would suggest Trump will be a pussycat.
I've never jumped on the Trump bashing bandwagon, and you'd think most people would have accepted the fact he is President and got on with their lives by now.
Just think, there is only 18 months and the yanks vote again - all those doom mongers who predicted Trump would end the World in the first 6 months ...well, we are still waiting...
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 24-Apr-2019 22:33 Message #4739197
Actually he lost the popular vote by about 3 million.
But because of the system for electing the POTUS he only needed votes in 3 key states to secure the Electoral College to receive the required majority of electoral votes.

No doubt the weasel Bercow will be looking for another 5 minutes of fame and deny Trump the chance to address Parliament.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 25-Apr-2019 00:11 Message #4739199
Well he cannot be any more unpopular than our own Parliament, and as far as Vets are concerned they have been ignored here by the media and our Government so again I think they would not be the least bit bothered if trump comes over here.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 25-Apr-2019 12:34 Message #4739211
It seems like people forget the historical timeline to WW2. The US remained neutral to the war until it was itself attacked by an ally of Nazi Germany, the Japanese. It was the Pearl Harbour attack that prompted the US to join the war.

Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 25-Apr-2019 12:45 Message #4739212
Anyone with any sense should remain neutral in a war. There was a programme on the telly the other night where they were trying, I believe successfully to prove the US started the Pearl Harbour attack. Mistakenly blowing up a Japanese submarine, to which the Japanese retaliated with the Pearl harbour attack. Until then there was an armistice arrangement between the 2 countries.

Then there was speculation as to whether the whole thing was orchestrated, by another power, and they were going to raise the submarine to see if they could find the answer. I don't think they found positive proof, or maybe they did, I got distracted towards the end of the programme.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 25-Apr-2019 15:54 Message #4739223
I echo your sentiments Raach. We are countries not a couple of guys bantering down the pub. I think the constant blitzing of Trump by the media is affecting peoples common sense.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 25-Apr-2019 17:03 Message #4739228
Against British values ?.

Why, because he is making a stand against letting anyone no matter who they are wander into his Country.
Muslims from certain Countries are subject to a 90 day vetting procedure. Not unreasonable after the twin towers attack where thousands of Americans died.
The clamp down on the Mexican border where every day they recover millions of dollars worth of drugs and illegal weapons destined for use on the streets.
Plus thousands of illegal immigrants coming from everywhere in South America that include convicted criminals.
The majority of the American people want him to do this.

Perhaps we should adopt these values.

Oh and could he drain our swamp when he is here,
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Apr-2019 18:53 Message #4739232
I he going to build a wall out to sea, many of the drugs come in via the coast, or should he build a wall around the air as many are flown in? I'm not saying that America dosen't have problems with illegal immigrants or with drugs and smuggling in general.

I disagree with him about his targetting of Muslims, not only is it wrong but will back fire, its not just Muslims that he's targetting but women, trans and gay people, I don't think he is draining the swamp, I think he's creating a nice comfy quagmire around himself and his family. His position on Israel stinks, as does his (and our governments) position on Saudi Arabia, he's a climate change denier and is promoting he increased use of fosil fuels at a time when the whole world needs to be seriously cutting them out, he's supporting the desecration of untouched areas of wilderness, many of which are sacred to First Nation Peoples. The Iran deal may not have been perfect but it was a start towards rapproachment thats desperately needed in an unstable area, he's made things worse not better and for the life of me I can't see why, when the other partners in it didn't and don't want it to end. His trade war with China is effecting global trade and could trigger another resecssion which won't be good for any one, least of all us at a time when we're hoping to gain more international trade. I'm not a huge fan of China and its expansionist international agenda, but this is not the right way to deal with it. Then theres his retweeting of extreme right wing stuff and conspiracy theories, his behaviour on social media isn't just ill informed, its dangerous coming from the president of a country that likes to style itself as a world leader.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 25-Apr-2019 20:15 Message #4739234
There always is 2 sides to everything. And I wouldn't trust the media's output to judge which is the right one!

The land border is some 2000 miles between the US & S. America. Drug cartels traffic huge amounts of heroin, cocaine, etc. across the border. I think he's right to target it, the media will focus on immigrants to discredit him.

Iran cannot be trusted. Nor should be, they are allied to Russia, Syria and China. Sanctions lifted have allowed their economy to recover, but has also benefited terrorist groups from Iran's financial support. Though not breaking the nuclear agreement, they have used it to support anti-west terrorist groups, and their hostility towards Israel. That part of the middle east cannot afford to be destabilised.

Obama banned Iraqi refugees at one stage, not a peep in the media about it. The fact is Trump's every move is discredited regardless of what motives for protection or good is behind it . And China, yes is charging higher tariffs than the US on goods. There is always 2 sides to everything. China's economy is expected to overtake America's. Much as I respect and even admire the Chinese, I would not want them to have dominant power in world trade.

Countries don't pay their NATO membership fees, like he said he is putting America first, giving job preferences to Americans instead of importing foreign labour. Globalization pundits are bound to be up in arms, that someone is interfering in their power ascendency plans which could be on a global scale.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 25-Apr-2019 23:01 Message #4739239
The majority of the media hate Trump with a passion so whatever he does is wrong.

The US navy has just launched 8 destroyers costing a billion dollars each that are the fastest ever built and can operate in really shallow waters to catch the drug smugglers off the coast.
Backed up by planes and helicopters and vast amounts of manpower.
Trump is willing to do something about the drug problem instead of sitting back and wringing his hands about the misery these dealers cause.
Ok he ruffles a few feathers, so what.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 26-Apr-2019 09:29 Message #4739249
"his behaviour on social media isn't just ill informed, its dangerous coming from the president of a country that likes to style itself as a world leader."

Well I'm one of the almost 60 million followers he has on twitter alone, so there are plenty that want to hear what he has to say - the abuse he gets is off the scale, but fair play to the guy, he has embraced the platform more than any other leader and seems undeterred.
Given that social media is "where it's at" who can blame him?...
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 26-Apr-2019 13:18 Message #4739257
Trump is a difficult guy and it is not easy to know the truth about him. It seems all the news media hate him with a vengeance and every time he talks or tweets they are vilifying him regardless of whether he has suggested something sensible or not. Most of us can only judge him by what the media is saying so it's no surprise he has such a hard time.
I think a lot of his ideas have been good and very popular in the US but he doesn't help himself by speaking/tweeting as he always has done and, unlike other worldwide politicians, he doesn't have every word scripted first.
The US has a lot of very serious immigration, crime and terrorist issues which we do not have in the UK. President of the USA must be one hell of a complicated job which makes a European Prime Minister's job seem like an office assistant!

Most world leaders are worth listening to whether we agree with them or not.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 26-Apr-2019 20:52 Message #4739277
I see the waste of space that is Jeremy Corbyn has now turned down an invite to a dinner Trump will be attending, calling Trump a racist and misogynist. Great preparation for when you win the election Jeremy!
This is the guy who wants to be our Prime Minister, the job where you have to be a statesman and do things you would rather not, such as meet undesirable people and send our armed forces into war to be killed. He's not going to be able to flounce off to the allotment and say "I'm not doing it".
Corbyn is so far from being suitable PM material it's amusing and shocking in equal measure, and you think Trump's bad...
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 26-Apr-2019 21:49 Message #4739278
brisinger - 25-Apr-2019 12:34

Pearl Harbour attack that prompted the US to join the war.

Not quite right there, Germany actually declared war on the USA first (on December 11, 1941). The United States Congress declared war upon Germany, a few hours afterwards.

SQL
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 26-Apr-2019 23:26 Message #4739279
A bit hypocritical of Corbyn criticising anyone else for having extreme prejudices when Corbyn has shown such prejudice against Britain and the western world and in particular the Jews.
Corbyn is a waste of space.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »