Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Turmeric

for osteoarthritis

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 24-Apr-2019 11:50 Message #4739143
Does anyone take turmeric for OA and does it help? I know its supposed to be the latest wonder supplement, I've been reading up on it and I can't figure out whats hype and whats not, there seems to be a dearth of real information and what there is is a bit confusing.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 24-Apr-2019 14:06 Message #4739158
Hi Wonderoushen. I have bee using turmeric as a food additive since 2010. Initially I was told verbally by some friends of it's healing qualities. My reason for taking was initially self preservation and rheumatism in my right shoulder from a car accident. I can assure you, my arm is much better for using this golden spice. I could cut and paste you a oodles of links that praise it's goodness. But I can only confirm it relieving my bone ache. It is a little chalky in raw flavour. So i add it to soups and other dishes i cook. Just 2 tea spoons is all you need.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 24-Apr-2019 18:55 Message #4739180
I eat plenty of curry with lots of turmeric, but I'm cautious about a lot of websites, if I couldn't quote them in an accademic essay then don't bother with them and that includes wikipedia, I want independent, impartial information not stuff thats paid for by manufacturers. But thanks all the same
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 25-Apr-2019 23:47 Message #4739240
I totally understand and sorry I cannot help you further. Personal experience versing empirical and scientific data, are poles apart. One being true life experience and the other being academic profit motivated information.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 26-Apr-2019 02:15 Message #4739242
I know that strictly exercised clinical trials have shown the very real therapeutic effects of turmeric, but I can't quote them. I remember listening to a Radio 4 or 5 programme outlining the studies and the results, so if you look at the science/medicine archives or podcasts of BBC Radio 4 and 5, you might find it. I do remember the ultimate conclusion was that there was a statistically significant positive effect but that there was no benefit in taking anything more than the amount you would normally use in cooking: that seemed to be the optimal dose.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 26-Apr-2019 09:26 Message #4739248
I do know something for definite when taking a turmeric supplement.
It turns your poo like a baby's shade of yellow.
So it must be doing something to your insides.
HaHa
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Apr-2019 19:12 Message #4739276
Turmeric is a really strong dye as anyone who's dropped curry down themseles will know.

I do want personal experience as well as more scientific data, that partly why I started this thread, what I'm distrustfull of isn't the scientific data but the guff from those who want to make a profit. I used to work in the healthfood/wholefood industry and theres a lot of BS put out about various supplements, some of which work, but are often sold in forms the body can't digest, are ripping up wild plants and harming the local enviroment, as happened with devils claw, or are sold in the wrong doses so you're either taking to much or more likely to little and have to take loads more expensive tablets. From what I read of the science it does suggest that heating turmeric will at least partially if not totally destroy the active ingredient you want.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 27-Apr-2019 01:37 Message #4739283
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/

This is quite interesting research endorsed by the governement WHen.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Apr-2019 11:14 Message #4739304
Thanks Clocky, I've just had a quick read through that and I now know what doseage to take and that its at least as effective as ibuprofen and what to watch out for side effects wise.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »