Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Paris, Notre Dame in flames

Such a shame

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 15-Apr-2019 18:38 Message #4738693
On the news now, there is a huge fire in Notre Dame cathedral. It dates from the middle of the 12th century. The fire is burning the wooden roof etc. but it is obviously very hot and the stonework was already in bad shape. It's such a shame.

So far only one fire engine is attending. Totally inadequate.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 15-Apr-2019 18:50 Message #4738697
That is terrible. Notre Dame is C14 and one of Paris' main attractions. What is happening to Paris. It must be awful now. Thanks goodness the Louvre is not near.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 15-Apr-2019 18:56 Message #4738698
The central tower has just collapsed into the body of the building. The fire is heading towards the bell tower.
I was first there back in the mid 1970s. My last visit was 1999.
The cathedral was under restoration with scaffolding, as it has been on and off for some time. I think it had scaffolding at the front when i was there with my younger daughter in 1999. They are just saying it took 200 years to build it. Sadly it looks likely it will be destroyed. They are having problems getting fire trucks near enough.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 15-Apr-2019 19:01 Message #4738699
omg. I must put the news on. It's Paris' heritage, it was started in the C11, I've been there a couple of times. Paris is a fabulous place.

Well the BBC hasn't mentioned it in its headlines. They've hardly mentioned the Paris riots at all. They are so biased.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 15-Apr-2019 19:12 Message #4738700
BBC News channel has been showing it constantly, live footage and eye witness calls since a few minutes before I started this post. Nothing else has been mentioned.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 15-Apr-2019 19:20 Message #4738701
They have it now as 'breaking news'. France24 news channel has it. The flame looks enormous compared to the water hose, I can only see one. Part of it is starting to collapse it says. It can be rebuilt of course, and has been renovated over the years.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 15-Apr-2019 20:35 Message #4738709
The problem is these old churches and cathedrals were built using wood instead of steel and the stone cladding added to it, that's why its burning so fast.
I am not sure it can be rebuilt due to the probable cost of billions and Macron insisting on austerity which has led to the yellow jackets protest.
Mind you Macron can ask his mates in the EU to foot the bill.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 15-Apr-2019 21:05 Message #4738715
Er, hang on Barney, that means us! Actually, I would give some cash towards restoration, if it is possible.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 15-Apr-2019 21:24 Message #4738717
That is terrible! I was in PARIS only last year to visit friends. One of them lives within walking distance of the Notre Dame . . A priceless work of art,a monument of history , the heart of Paris goes up in flames.
must put the t.v. on for the news.

leogirl.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 15-Apr-2019 21:41 Message #4738719
I was thinking exactly the same about donating money to save this well loved church (or is it a cathedral?) from fading away in the mist of time.
What would a walk along the seine be without the view of the Notre Dame?

leogirl.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 15-Apr-2019 21:49 Message #4738720
Ironically, they're already thinking the cause of the fire is linked to the restoration works, that were needed as the building was crumbling and in danger of collapse.
With the spire & roof gone and North tower about to go, it doesn't look good.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Apr-2019 22:59 Message #4738727
A lot of fires occur during renovation work. Cutty Sark. Windsor Castle.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 15-Apr-2019 23:27 Message #4738732
The Jubilee Hall, built by public donations to celebrate Victoria's reign suffered a similar fate in this town. It was a wooden building, covered in many layers of paint and varnish. The council sold it. The new owners' workmen decided to strip the walls using a blow torch. I'm sure the fact that the council had refused its new owners permission to remove it and redevelop the site had nothing to do with the unfortunate inferno that resulted.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 16-Apr-2019 07:30 Message #4738743
The building looks repairable this morning but a terrible event.

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 16-Apr-2019 08:03 Message #4738750
Tragic.

Do I detect a note of cynicism in your words there Aely!
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 16-Apr-2019 11:09 Message #4738760
If you want a note of cynicism terry the Notre Dame is a Catholic Cathedral so I expect the Vatican will open its vaults and pay the billions to rebuild it.
I won't hold my breath.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 16-Apr-2019 11:41 Message #4738761
Very sad to watch - I'm not in the least bit religious, but I admire the beauty of such places and hope they can and do restore it.
So familiarily depressing to hear the media, and others, desperately trying to find someone to blame and criticising the fire service for slow/inadequate response.
It seems, in reality the fire service did a sterling job and much has been saved...
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 16-Apr-2019 14:23 Message #4738769
Sadly one fireman has been badly injured.

Money and pledges of money have been pouring into the restortaion fund which was set up to pay for the original repairs (which probably resulted in the fire). Something like 300,000 Euros has already been given or pledged.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 16-Apr-2019 15:05 Message #4738774
Very sad to watch - I'm not in the least bit religious, but I admire the beauty of such places and hope they can and do restore it.

My sentiments too.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 16-Apr-2019 15:55 Message #4738781
Such a shame , it may be restored but has lost the history ... the wood was ancient

I wonder how it really happened ...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Apr-2019 18:36 Message #4738788
From what was reported on the news earlier its not as bad as it could of been, its still bad, but the main structure seems sound, they also showed York Minster today which suffered from a big fire 35 years ago, its almost complete now and looks as good as new. Probably one of the biggest issues will be where to get such large oak beams to rebuild the roof as we no longer have the supply of massive oaks that once dominated Europe.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 16-Apr-2019 21:45 Message #4738799
They have six figure donations already.

Bell towers are still standing. And the amazing stained glass rose window.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »