Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Begum

Legal aid

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 15-Apr-2019 18:34 Message #4738692
Shamima Begum has been granted legal aid to fight her case to be allowed back into the Country.

Is she allowed to claim legal aid if she is no longer a citizen of this Country ?.

Of course Corbyn is supporting her. no surprise there then,
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Apr-2019 18:39 Message #4738694
From what I heard on the news just now legal aid is being considered but not yet granted, there are two reasons why I think she should be granted legal aid, one is that striping someone of citizenship is a very serious step to take and should not be done lightly whatever the person has done. The second reason is that there are quite a few men who have returned from fighting with IS who have not had their citizenship revoked, if its OK for people who've been active fighters to be allowed back here then whats different about Begum, from what I understand the men were much older when they left the UK to fight for IS.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 15-Apr-2019 18:45 Message #4738695
"Is she allowed to claim legal aid if she is no longer a citizen of this Country ?."

From what I heard on the radio, a legal expert says she is entitled to legal aid. If entitled she will get it. Certain refugees have had legal aid.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 15-Apr-2019 19:53 Message #4738703
Many people have been denied legal aid yet criminals seem to get it ...

Why cant she she just go to Holland with her Dutch Husband... !!!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Apr-2019 19:59 Message #4738704
I don't think Begum has been through a trial to truly establish any guilt.

The family solicitor had a good point this morning. Begum may have naively gone to ISIS at age 15, she may have been subject to conditioning and she also may have feared for her own life if she did not comply with requirements.

Even some people in Nazi Germany were forced to do what they disagreed with, kill or be killed, torture or be tortured. It doesn't make it right, but it takes an unusual type of person to resist such forces.

Isn't it a basic right to at least have a trial?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 15-Apr-2019 20:24 Message #4738708
No its not ok.
I was never asked if I wanted the male fighters to be allowed back here, it was all done on the quiet.
Why is it a serious step to strip someone of their citizenship . They made the choice to go and fight so they should live with it.
Too many bleeding hearts in charge now.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 15-Apr-2019 20:53 Message #4738712
So far she has been stripped if her citizenship. Decided by 1 person and not in a court of law. I agree that she should be able to challenge that decision in a court of law and if she qualifies for legal aid, then so be it!
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 15-Apr-2019 21:05 Message #4738714
She is a terrorist, she has never expressed any remorse over supporting the terrorists who murdered any civilian they wanted without any sort of trial. She knowingly deceived her parents to go to Syria.

Why should she be allowed all this?

Any person returning from supporting the extremists should be treated as a terrorist and jailed, no trial needed. This is better treatment than they gave to many innocent people who are now dead and probably suffered torture just for the sake of it (in the name of religion).

SQL
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 15-Apr-2019 21:11 Message #4738716
Whatever decisions we make we should think carefully and with a sensible, fair and level head. The decision on this single, fairly insignificant event, may affect all our similar actions for many years to come.
We must get it right.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 15-Apr-2019 23:33 Message #4738733
"Any person returning from supporting the extremists should be treated as a terrorist and jailed, no trial needed. This is better treatment than they gave to many innocent people who are now dead and probably suffered torture just for the sake of it (in the name of religion)"

And so it should be better treatment than they allegedly gave to many innocent people. We cannot lower ourselves to their standards. She is entitled to a trial where she can answer to the evidence placed before her!
Male
omarrk  Male  Middlesex 16-Apr-2019 00:25 Message #4738737
SQL,
“She is a terrorist”
Can you point out any act or a list of terrorist attacks that she has carried out?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 16-Apr-2019 07:28 Message #4738742
Whatever decisions we make we should think carefully and with a sensible, fair and level head. The decision on this single, fairly insignificant event, may affect all our similar actions for many years to come.
We must get it right.

Absolutely!
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 16-Apr-2019 10:27 Message #4738754
"Can you point out any act or a list of terrorist attacks that she has carried out?"

Supporting a terrorist organisation would class her a terrorist in my view. However, before she can be labelled a terrorist and be stripped of her nationality she needs to have the opportunity to attend court and answer the charges against her! and if that means she qualifies for legal aid, then so be it!
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 16-Apr-2019 10:52 Message #4738757
Ok give a trial but can we send the Judges out to Syria and conduct it there because if she is brought back here an army of lawyers will make sure she never this Country even if guilty.
How many illegals including criminals ever get deported.

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Apr-2019 12:56 Message #4738763
I suppose they have to properly establish the extent of her atrocities, rather than just hearsay.

Her own story seems to be full of holes. Some of the latest stories about her seem to show her up as a lot more evil than she is making out. And she didn't exactly show herself to be little miss innocent in her interviews either.

When he was 15, there is an argument that she was just a stupid easily led kid, and now she is 19, although actually classed as an adult, still a stupid easily led kid. But she probably knew exactly what she was doing.

And with ISIS being defeated, she now knows exactly what she is doing. And personally I think she is still up to no good at all.

There needs to be a proper trial to find out exactly what went on. The result will not be to let her back in, in my opinion.
Male
omarrk  Male  Middlesex 16-Apr-2019 13:09 Message #4738765
“Supporting a terrorist organisation”

So Nid, I know you are not the brightest penny in the box but I have to inform you that this terrorist organisation has been created by the western leaders, surely you must consider them to be terrorists too or maybe in your mind western politicians creating a terrorist organisation is not a big crime.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 16-Apr-2019 15:03 Message #4738772
"Can you point out any act or a list of terrorist attacks that she has carried out?"

Supporting a terrorist organisation would class her a terrorist in my view. However, before she can be labelled a terrorist and be stripped of her nationality she needs to have the opportunity to attend court and answer the charges against her! and if that means she qualifies for legal aid, then so be it!

Very fair Nigel.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 16-Apr-2019 15:59 Message #4738783
Her lawyer has been fined for doubling the legal aid bill...NICE ehhh

there are so many deserving of legal aid and dont get it...
Male
Brundall  Male  Lincolnshire 16-Apr-2019 17:00 Message #4738784
She went has a child but now she is an adult and should face the fact she is a traitor to this country by living with people trying to kill British Troops.
Nearly has bad has the soldier who at 72 is going to stand trail for shooting an Irish lad.
By the Way all this censored news never made a remark about all the bikes in London on Saturday in support of a guy doing his duty where are all the Officiers and Higher ranks which gave the orders ? ? ? So is the BBC independent ? I don't think so they are under the government thumb if they cannot report such an important thing has this case
I served has a National Service man, but if I had known then what is happening to troops now a days, you have to let them shoot first and you are no bloody good dead if he's a crack shot.
I would not have enlisted if I knew then what I know now. I think the Army is going to struggle to get Recruits.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 16-Apr-2019 17:30 Message #4738785
Totally agree with you Brundall about the bikers not making the news.
Plus the veterans sending their medals back to the Government with white feathers..

Join the Army.
Go to war to protect your people.
Get prosecuted for murder.

I don't think so.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 16-Apr-2019 18:48 Message #4738790
I saw the bikers online
WHY not on main news?

The riots and Yellow vest protests in France not on TV either WHY?

The massive protests in Spain not on the news..
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 16-Apr-2019 22:06 Message #4738802
omarrk - 16-Apr-2019 00:25

“She is a terrorist”

She willingly joined and supported a terrorist organisation. That is adequate proof.

I see you have called Nigel not very bright [So Nid, I know you are not the brightest penny in the box] that's a sure sign you have lost the argument or that your comment actually refers to yourself rather than Nigel.

If she is allowed back in the UK and is put in prison she will be out in 10 years or so and then free to peddle her vitriol to all her friends and other contacts. Just leave her to rot in another country in my opinion. She and her kind are all evil and have no respect for our laws or society - why should any UK taxpayer support her kind in any way at all?

SQL
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 16-Apr-2019 22:07 Message #4738803
Because our news is censored. The BBC doesn't want domestic unrest, or people thinking for themselves. Or rather the government doesn't, and the BBC is their mouthpiece. If the BBC is banging away and ranting about something, you can bet it's suspect.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 16-Apr-2019 22:54 Message #4738807
Begum is not a terrorist. Definition of terrorist is very exact. Someone who commits violence for political aims especially against civilians. But she supports and is a follower of terrorists. She is guilty by association.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 16-Apr-2019 23:10 Message #4738808
The BBC doesn't want domestic unrest

Does any sane person want domestic unrest?

Begum is not a terrorist

It’s impossible to say if she is or isn’t a terrorist or how involved she has been in terrorism. It is known she has had close associations with known terrorists and violent terrorist groups.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »