Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Climate protesters.

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 15-Apr-2019 15:53 Message #4738677
I was held up for a while today by the large group of climate protesters who had blocked a few London roads but the ones I chatted to were good humoured and it was definitely very colourful.

Should protesters be permitted to stop traffic in busy city centres? Is it fair on the ordinary working guy who loses money due to the traffic jams?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 15-Apr-2019 16:10 Message #4738678
yeh...if they are naked again...
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 15-Apr-2019 16:21 Message #4738680
Just think it a tad ironic that climate protesters should stop/slow down traffic thus increasing pollution and fuel consumption.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 15-Apr-2019 21:33 Message #4738718
Nigel. A bit like all the capitalists camping out at St Paul’s protesting about capitalism!
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Apr-2019 22:03 Message #4738722
I'd like to see them protest in really polluted cities like Beijing or Shanghai and see how they get on - London is a soft target and, I would suggest, one of the cleaner cities.
It is ironic the rubbish these "carers" leave behind...
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Apr-2019 23:00 Message #4738728
Our protesters don’t like it too difficult.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 16-Apr-2019 10:57 Message #4738758
Its an international protest, something like 80 cities in 30 countries, just because other places are worse dosn't mean London and other UK cities shouldn't clean up their act. Lung diseases caused by air pollution are costing the NHS millions, as well as effecting the lives of millions of people, one of the awful irony's is that people walking and cycling in many of our cities who try to be healthy and reduce thier carbon emmissions get a higher dose of toxicity that many car drivers. Climate change is one of things our government has put on hold because of Brexit, but even before then they never really took it that seriously and did some window dressing around it at election time, theres lots that could be done but its really lack of will, allegedly lack of money and corporate interests that stop it.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 16-Apr-2019 15:09 Message #4738775
I'd actually agree with heirophant about the cleaning up after, it would be nice for once to see a protest rally leave a place as they find it. Then again, walking through a lot of towns and inner cities it might be difficult to see who's rubbish is who's.
I went to Llandudno a few weeks ago and was struck by how clean the place was...how do they do it and other places can't?

On the subject of protests stopping traffic, how else can people make their point? we obviously don't listen when they talk, debate and rational discussion achieve very little (that's obvious from 'debates' on here) and it is better than having fighting in the streets or willful destruction of property? It is tough on the ordinary working guy, and some - like my son - lose money when held up in things like this, but what alternative is there?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 16-Apr-2019 15:11 Message #4738776
i think it's time to stop talking about climate change which stopped sounding impressive a long time ago when they first showed a lump of ice falling from a berg a great many years ago.

Talk about things we can relate to. Clean air to breathe. That sounds much more impressive and makes a lot of sense.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 16-Apr-2019 15:53 Message #4738780
Nice that so many can get time of work !!!
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 16-Apr-2019 21:14 Message #4738796
Its been reported that the protesters are better dressed and from a better class this time.
Nice to see the middle and upper class are getting some protesting in before the summer hols.
Then Gerald and Daphne will jump in the Jaguar, Range Rover or BMW and blast down to the South of France to their second home or yacht with huge twin diesel engines and head into the med to bomb around on their jet skis.
The kids Tristam and Fiona will take off on a huge jumbo to Australia for their gap year to back pack around the Country except its so big you can't walk it so they climb on a train pulled by 3 huge diesel engines.
Back at the protest old Etonians Charles and Hugo decide a good prank would be to smash up the Shell building to teach the capitalists a lesson forgetting that daddy works for a oil company to pay the school fees.
Yep you can't beat a bit of class at a protest
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 16-Apr-2019 21:51 Message #4738800
Sorry, but I just don't get this "pissing ordinary people off" is the best way to get your point across - fine go and blockade parliament, barricade the door of number 10, blockade fuel depots, but don't stop decent people going about their daily business in London and leave everywhere else untouched.
I would suggest London has done more to combat pollution than many other cities - most provincial towns are snarled up with polluting traffic, where are their climate protestors?
These protestors are the same people who piss and moan that the police do nothing to stop knife crime and claim there are no police around any more, well there were plenty of hi viz jacketed coppers babysitting you bunch of clowns for two days. They suddenly appeared from out of the woodwork.
Much of this protesting seems to be a bit of a jolly, out in the centre of London for a bit of a laugh on a sunny afternoon.

As an aside - I had to laugh at an item on the news the other day saying students are suffering from mental health problems because university life is so unstructured with lots of down time between lectures and nothing to do... Aww poor things lol
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 16-Apr-2019 21:52 Message #4738801
Bunch of vandals. They have trashed and graffitied all over the place. Over a hundred arrests. Apparently they're not going to move until something is done. Well, they can grow old there then.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 16-Apr-2019 22:11 Message #4738804
"Sorry, but I just don't get this "pissing ordinary people off""

Nor I. The unions used to do it but, eventually, they realised the futility of it (aided by some realistic law changes) and stopped.

Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 16-Apr-2019 22:27 Message #4738805
Too right Bewildered.
It doesn't need much working out who at the moment are currently on 2 weeks Easter holiday from work and can spend their time stuffing up everyone else's commute.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 16-Apr-2019 22:38 Message #4738806
"going about their daily business in London and leave everywhere else untouched. "

well, for what its worth, they have been protesting in nottingham for the last two days, so its not just london.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 17-Apr-2019 08:08 Message #4738818
I stand corrected, it's gone global... lol
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 17-Apr-2019 12:38 Message #4738856
It was quite funny watching one of the protesters flounce out of the studio of Sky news earlier. They clearly don't like any scrutiny...
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 17-Apr-2019 12:52 Message #4738862
It doesn't need much working out who at the moment are currently on 2 weeks Easter holiday from work and can spend their time stuffing up everyone else's commute.

True.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 17-Apr-2019 13:22 Message #4738867
Climate change is/should be a serious issue and should be discussed in a serious way.
Watching Robin Boardman - Pattison on Sky news earlier was illuminating - when asked about air travel he said it should be used in an emergency only, so no more foreign holidays, business travel etc etc.
Ironically, this guy has pictures on his instagram account of umpteen holidays he has taken to exotic countries around the world.
He then went rambling on about massive city farms for a minute or so, ran out of things to say, got pissed off about being questioned and stormed out of the studio.
The young have it all sorted it seems, the planet is in safe hands...
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 17-Apr-2019 14:13 Message #4738870
O n the radio this morning Kevin or was it Keith said he had the week off for half term so he was taking his young son to the protest. His son is taking his skateboard and is really excited. Why not take a picnic and have it on a zebra crossing. Its a protest not a jolly day out in the park you moron.
When questioned by Nick Ferrari about what gives you the right to stop someone getting to work to put food on the table for his/her family Kevin/Keith spluttered for a bit before trotting out the usual crap he had read or heard.
It would be good if next week someone stopped him from getting to work.

Have this lot not learned that the Government needs to be seen to be doing something so the usual reaction from the Government is to ban it or tax it, usually the latter as its a good revenue earner.
Hence the diesel engine and the death of the car industry even though the new diesels are the cleanest ever, even beating the petrol engine.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 17-Apr-2019 22:33 Message #4738891
Good to see their attempt to involve Corbyn in the nonsense has backfired, chaining themselves to his garden fence and sending in gifts that promptly got sent back.
Ha ha Steptoe clearly wasn't present or involved...
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 18-Apr-2019 07:20 Message #4738899
Protesters marches usually disrupt the ordinary working person and often cost them loss of earnings which is unfair.
One of those stuck outside Corbyn’s house looked very much like Corbyn himself.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 18-Apr-2019 11:22 Message #4738912
I listened to a phone-in this morning on local radio which had views from both sides including a lawyer who deliberately got herself arrested for the cause.
Much as I agree it is wise to cut down pollution I do think these protesters are wrong to disrupt the ordinary people trying to work. A van driver who couldn't make his deliveries and more importantly ambulances which were struggling to get around the city were making a better point than the protesters glueing themselves to paths. Also the amount of wasted police time and money sorting out the mess is a good enough reason for them to move on now.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 18-Apr-2019 11:35 Message #4738914
It's just a shame that the weather is so unseasonably nice.
I bet if it had been normal April wet, windy and cold we wouldn't have seen so many of them on the streets. As to the one's that are sticking themselves to pavements, building windows etc. leave them there. They'll soon lose interest when they realise that people just walk past and continue on their way, as Londoners can be quite adept at doing, especially if they're causing disruption to their journey.

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »