Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Grenfell Tower

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 15-Apr-2019 15:47 Message #4738676
The man who burned the effigy of Grenfell Tower has been charged today.

I think anyone who could do that is sick and I wouldn't want them anywhere near my family but has he committed a criminal offence? I'm sure a lot of people have sunk effigies of the Titanic which also resulted in many deaths.

I have used the word effigy as that was in the news report although I thought this had to be a person.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 15-Apr-2019 16:47 Message #4738686
Well if he hasn't committed an offence... what is he being charged with?

My personal opinion is that it's is certainly distasteful, not very sympathetic to all the people who lost loved ones in the building... certainly doesn't deserve a jail sentence or to be charged with anything.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 15-Apr-2019 18:11 Message #4738691
I think it only became an offence because someone filmed it.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Apr-2019 18:47 Message #4738696
Well obviously for someone to be charged there must have been an inditable offence. I don't think an effigy has to be a person although it usually is, usually an objct is called a model, but maybe it depend on some other significance, cultural or artistic or something. I thought the bloke who burned this effigy also included models of people trapped inside the building so maybe thats where effigy comes in.

Personally I've always found Guy Fawkes night a bit weird, which it is when you think about it, we're celebrating the brutal state sanctioned murder of a man and his co-conspirators because his would be relgiously inspired terrorist attack failed. But its alright its tradition and we must never interfere with a tradition, ask questions of it or do anything other than gleefully go along with it.
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 15-Apr-2019 19:51 Message #4738702
Its not as criminal or diabolical as claiming to have lived there or lost someone to gain compensation as has happened.

Its a distasteful , awful thing to do, but NO person or property was harmed...so is this really a criminal offence needed a jail term..?
If it was anywhere else, or anything else would so much be made of it..? just saying
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Apr-2019 22:26 Message #4738724
Twitter was full of this today, much was made of the fact he's a millionaire (god knows what difference that makes) and he's probably a Tory and probably a Daily Mail reader.
It was in extremely bad taste but I'm surprised it was a criminal offence, still the social media liberal lefties can pat themselves on the back for hanging another rich white bloke out to dry...
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 16-Apr-2019 07:34 Message #4738744
I thought the term effigy was an odd one.

Some people seem to have very few feelings of sympathy following tragedies and within a short time comedians and satirists find something funny in almost every event.

I wonder how many of his friends at his garden party thought it was funny and how many just went along with it.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 18-Apr-2019 07:17 Message #4738898
Paul Bussetti, 46, of South Norwood, was charged with two counts of sending or causing grossly offensive material to be sent via a public communications network.

That is the offence. The fact of the effigy being burned so soon after the actual event was probably a major factor as the horror and sadness was still very much in people’s minds. I can’t understand how anyone could do that or why they would want to.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »