Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Excellent

Inappropriate

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 14-Apr-2019 19:19 Message #4738630
Just wondered if you ever used any of those buttons?
I use the excellent frequently, never yet used inappropriate, haven't a clue if anything happens when voted, I do it to let the poster know something about the post was, in my opinion, interesting and valid.
Is it just my fading memory or in years past if you hovered your cursor above the word did it used to say who had voted?
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 14-Apr-2019 19:38 Message #4738631
Yes I use the excellent button quite a bit. If a post is particularly good and also if I agree but have nothing interesting to add.
I have voted inappropriate on a couple of awful posts.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 14-Apr-2019 20:48 Message #4738636
I use the excellent button occasionally but have only used the inappropriate button a couple of times, when a troll has started spouting profanities for instance. I don't remember any names ever showing up. That would, I think, be - inappropriate.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Apr-2019 07:47 Message #4738642
I've never used the inappropriate but I have clicked on excellent. It sometimes looks as if members will click on excellent rather than post once a thread gets a bit long and most things have been said already.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 15-Apr-2019 09:35 Message #4738646
The excellent one has various uses, in the absence of any other type of button.

Some use it for points scoring, some for genuine reasons.

It's sometimes reassuring, when posting on a 'Mary Celeste' day, to find that at least someone has seen your post, and responded in some way. It can be a bit disheartening to put some effort into a post, and the post goes totally unnoticed, so a little nod can make it worthwhile.

I did a thread once where it was all anonymous voting, using the excellent button, for all sorts of trivial questions, and a few serious ones. It was quite enjoyable doing it.

As for the inappropriate button, I don't know what that does really. I have clicked on it sometimes, just out of curiosity, but nothing happened. Well, I say nothing happened, but the posters haven't been seen since, so i can't ask them...Perhaps it sets off a 'mouse trap game' type chain reaction, and captures them.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Apr-2019 12:37 Message #4738656
I think its supposed to flag up a troll or just when someones being nasty or picking on someone, I seem to remember a thread on this a couple of years ago, I use both buttons.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Apr-2019 15:07 Message #4738672
It can more telling if one poster consistently doesn't get any excellent votes as this is what happens to trolls.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 15-Apr-2019 16:41 Message #4738682
I use excellent quite regular. I've nearly clicked inappropriate once.

I also think you should be able to see who voted.

I don't see any inappropriate posts on here, unless disagreeing or difference of opinion is inappropriate.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Apr-2019 23:02 Message #4738730
Voted you excellent Bob. :)
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 16-Apr-2019 02:52 Message #4738739
"Voted you excellent Bob. :) "

Thank you very much... and an excellent right back at you! :D
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 16-Apr-2019 08:29 Message #4738751
Thought I'd try the inappropriate button - for what, to me - was a totally off thread and inappropriate comment. Was interested to see it doesn't flag up in the same way the excellent button does. With excellent you can see when it's been done, with inappropriate you can't.
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 16-Apr-2019 15:18 Message #4738779
You can't vote yourself inappropriate.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 16-Apr-2019 19:04 Message #4738792
Hehe. Did you want to vote your own post as inappropriate?

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »