Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Back in January...

Certificate issues

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 12-Apr-2019 13:06 Message #4738502
Back in January, the site certificate needed renewing. Remember all the hoo ha?

When Admin renewed it, then depending on what software you used, it showed up as valid for different amounts of time.

I have Kaspersky, and mine shows as valid until March 2020, but some have other software, and theirs were showing as valid until 17/04/19...a few days away.

Most will know how to check theirs, but for anyone who doesn't, then click on the padlock where the website address is ( should be on the left ), then click on certificate. You will then see the dates.

Just a heads up type thing, in case anyone can't get on properly after the 17th
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 12-Apr-2019 13:41 Message #4738503
On my desktop PC it says the Certificate is valid from 22/2/19 to 23/05/19.
But my 2 tablets don't like the site at all, and always throw up the Certificate authority warning because they don't recognise the authentication. But you can still get into the site despite this.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 12-Apr-2019 15:51 Message #4738508
on mine it says;

valid from 19/3/19 to 17/6/19.

in january it was showing as valid to march, so i assumed the powers that be had renewed again when i saw the above.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 12-Apr-2019 16:15 Message #4738510
Padlock?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 12-Apr-2019 22:30 Message #4738527
yep, padlock icon to the left of https.
Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 12-Apr-2019 23:43 Message #4738536
Mine has the same dates as yours - 19/3/19 to 17/6/19.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 13-Apr-2019 08:45 Message #4738542
I am unable to find the padlock but there is a little 'i' with a circle around it beside www.midsumers eve at the top. When I click on that, it says 'site not secure' and clicking on arrow beside it, I have this message. Your connection to this site is not private. Information you submit could be viewd by others, like passwords, messages, credit cards etc. I don't think I need to worry too much, as never any credit cards etc. and with a bit of luck you may be able to read this message. : - )
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 13-Apr-2019 09:33 Message #4738548
Is that on an iPhone Sea Urchin? I think my computer has padlocks and my iphone/iPad have the information you described. I don’t do much online either.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 13-Apr-2019 10:40 Message #4738553
I don't own an iphone and rarely do anything on my mobile other than WhatsApp messages to my daughters, especially when abroad. At the moment just using my asus netbook. Have just noticed a padlock with a line through it when putting in my password though. I clicked on that and had this message.
Firefox will display a lock icon with red strike-through 'red strikethrough icon' in the address bar when a login page you’re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password, it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers. I wonder who is eavesdropping?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 13-Apr-2019 11:56 Message #4738559
I'm guessing it's more a case of how you access the site. Mine did the same as yours Sea Urchin, so when fosy and others talked about a padlock I hadn't a clue, then when fosy, I think it was, mentioned next to http it occurred to me. So I typed the full address with the http:// stuff and the padlock appeared, whereas previously it was just showing www. and the circle with the little 'i' in it.
Not sure if I'm talking rubbish here but that's what I noticed.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 13-Apr-2019 12:05 Message #4738560
referring to https, i think the "s" means secure.

when i click on the padlock it tells me my connection is secure.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 13-Apr-2019 23:34 Message #4738584
Mine says not secure.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 14-Apr-2019 07:02 Message #4738587
Mine too Minnie.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 14-Apr-2019 08:24 Message #4738591
Interesting; I have just turned on my old Dell with vista, so I always have theses red warning messages saying not supported anymore etc. Anyway it does show the padlock besides the 'i' with a circle around it. When I click on this it simply says, 'Secure Connection'. I click on arrow at side and it still says ,Secure Connection'. No dates given anywhere. But maybe since no longer supported, it has not updated any commands etc. from a couple of years ago?

Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 14-Apr-2019 09:07 Message #4738593
Until Tumbleweed started the 'panic', how do you know if its EVER showed as being secure! ?

No doubt there's 100s of sites out there that are the same.

How often do you check EVERY site you visit?

If any one on here tries to 'scam' me out of my £103.74 life savings, I shall Block them!! lol ;-}
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 14-Apr-2019 09:27 Message #4738594
This site has always come up with warnings about security on my computers, I think in the main it depends on what anti-virus or security programme used, that plus what settings for internet connection used, add to that what internet provider and browser...so much my head hurts.

In fairness I have to thank tumbleweed and other posters on here because I'd never have even considered how to check a site's certificate until this...whether I'll ever use it again I don't know.

Interestingly, whilst doing some training I watched the young person accessing our email system and she was doing it differently to me, she had far less concern for going in through a well known web site whereas I always bring up the email programme alone...not being computer literate I don't know if it makes a difference but what it highlighted to me was how differently we all use these systems to achieve the same end.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 14-Apr-2019 09:50 Message #4738597
I don’t understand any of it but this site does appear after a padlock so I guess that is good.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Apr-2019 10:20 Message #4738598
Sorry for any confusion caused about padlocks and panic and things.

Some may not remember 'certificategate' from January...It was so bad, that the dreaded facebook was even mentioned as a saviour, and various things were started to be put in place for a post apocalypse MSEless society.

It was a horror vision of the future, something way beyond comprehension. It doesn't bear thinking about.

For those that don't know anything about it...then it is better to stay that way.

For those that do know...well, it's best not to say anymore...it's too disturbing...
Female
sunnyagain  Female  Hampshire 14-Apr-2019 12:03 Message #4738606
Interesting, for me this site has shown as 'not secure' for ages, pre-dating Januarygate. I've just done as mentioned before, manually typed in https://etc and now it is secure until June.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 23-May-2019 06:55 Message #4740528
Just had another wobble on the security certificate front...

It seems, according to my thing, that a new licence was issued to 'grinder.ukcentric'

Now, I know Ukcentric is the company that MSE comes under...but I'm not sure about the grinder bit..

All I know about grinder is that it gives you a pain in the arse...or is that just grindr...

Either way, it's a pain in the arse...Like the previous issues though, some may be getting the invalid message...and some not..
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 24-May-2019 09:29 Message #4740573
Last time, I managed to contact them, and they put the licence right for a while..

Contacting them probably needs to happen again...If nobody does it, it will probably stay as it is.

If nobody wants to do it, then I will try next week...
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 27-May-2019 23:58 Message #4740812
It's odd.
My PC is still saying the http to the site is not secure however a quick look at the Certificate validity, although it says it's Invalid, it then shows it now runs from 21/5/19 to 19/08/19
So maybe the Issuer has done something amiss with the coding.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »