Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Taking things from people!

Moral and legal.

Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Apr-2019 18:38 Message #4738457
Hi guys...

Been so busy recently with a new addition to my family. Thought I'd pop on and share a story from last week, see what you guys think.

I was in a supermarket last week and an incident occurred! A woman came up and stole something from another woman's trolley. Needless to say, it didn't go down well. A bit of a scene/scuffle happened and security was called.

Security appeared to ask both parties to leave.

Now I was just wondering, if someone takes something from your trolley... is it stealing? As you haven't bought it yet, but by putting it in the trolley, you have shown intent on buying it.

Not too sure on the legal or company policies of supermarkets on this, perhaps any of you may know?

I think if it's in the trolley of someone else, then it's theirs even although they haven't paid for it yet. It isn't ok to just go picking things out other peoples trolleys.

Over to you people!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Apr-2019 18:47 Message #4738460
I agree Bob, its rude and inconsiderate to say the least, but then some people park their trolleys up and wander off, how is anyone to know if the trolleys been abandoned and therefor the goods within it or not? I must admit that people abandoning thier trolleys mid aisle or parking them in front of something is a personal bugbear of mine, I had a bit of a spat with someone when I moved their trolley out of my way, they got all huffy about me touching "thier" trolley.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 11-Apr-2019 19:50 Message #4738464
Not sure I would go as far as calling it theft but, as 'Hen has suggested, it is rude and inconsiderate, selfish even. I have often moved someone else's trolley out of the way but never had any comment other than 'sorry' from the other person.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Apr-2019 20:27 Message #4738467
Trolley rage is happening everywhere. I have been on both sides of 'trolley being in the way'. Especially in the reduced items section. It's like war in there. A lot of the time it is gridlock.

With regards to taking something out of someones trolley, I have seen it on one of those candid camera type programs, but I haven't been present at any.

I have put something in someone elses trolley though. I'd been separated from my trolley, at the 'reduced items' carnage place, and then when thinking I was 'reunited' with it, something didn't seem right, and I then realised and apologised. Both me and the bloke who 'owned' the other trolley laughed about it, so it was ok.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 11-Apr-2019 20:56 Message #4738469
I may be simplistic, but why not shop from the goods on the shelves rather than from another's trolley? Or was it like the last reduced sausage roll or the best looking avocado in the shop?!

I can't imagine anything in a supermarket being so desirable as to involve me in a conflict!
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Apr-2019 21:46 Message #4738473
"why not shop from the goods on the shelves rather than from another's trolley? Or was it like the last reduced sausage roll or the best looking avocado in the shop?!"

I don't know the full story I'm afraid. I'm a quick shopper, in and out as quick as I can. I actually barged my way through the small crowd who gathered to watch, two females who were watching, were also using the self scan next to me, and I fancied a chat with them so, I just asked what happened.

I'd assume there wasn't any of what was stolen left, of the culprit was too lazy to go and find her own stuff, so she stole it from the other woman.

It puzzled me... some one walking up and taking your stuff! You could always go back and get another, but it's the disrespect and cheek of it all.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 12-Apr-2019 07:14 Message #4738482
There is certainly nothing illegal in pinching an item from someone else’s supermarket trolley but as others have said it’s very rude, unsociable and a few other things.

More fun putting obscure items into other shoppers trolleys.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 12-Apr-2019 08:07 Message #4738487
This is why you should always visit the base ball bat aisle first.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Apr-2019 11:05 Message #4738492
Who's your new addition Bob?

I'm often "tutted" at and then probably gossiped about for my "rudeness", when I say 'excuse me please' in my best head mistress voice to people who are using the aisle for a family conference.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 11-May-2019 07:35 Message #4739959
More fun putting obscure items into other shoppers trolleys.

I might try that. Could be funny.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-May-2019 09:58 Message #4739962
"Who's your new addition Bob?"

My lovely wee nephew. Named after his father he has brought the family much closer. My mum has moved back up here, she lives 3 mins walk from my house, rather than 2.5 hours drive away. One of my brothers has moved into my other spare room. And my brother who has just had the baby, he is looking to move into my area so we are all walking distance from each other.

My two older brothers aren't interested in moving, oldest brothers house is far bigger than any near me, other brother is all about the city life... so won't come here hahaha
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-May-2019 11:05 Message #4739966
How lovely, I guess 3 out of 5 is a pretty good result for the little chap, hopefully his other uncles will still be around if a bit less often
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 11-May-2019 12:14 Message #4739970
It might be more than just taking something out of someone's trolley though.
If, like in a few supermarkets now i.e. Tesco & Asda, you can Scan & Shop, where you scan items, bag them up in your trolley and then just download the scanner at the checkout which charges the total to your account or credit/debit card.
You don't unpack everything as that would defeat the object of the pre-scanning, so if that item has been removed after you've scanned it you'll end up paying for something that someone has then taken.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »