Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Targets

Jeremy

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next >  Last >> 

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Apr-2019 18:34 Message #4737967
Is it right for soldiers to shoot at Jeremy Corbyn targets?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Apr-2019 18:37 Message #4737968
No I don't think it is, its a principle that the armed services are supposed to be politically neutral, obviously all serving members have their own political opinions but this isn't right, nor do I think other peoples images should be used.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 3-Apr-2019 18:40 Message #4737969
haha! I heard about this. They're soldiers, I would say it's harmless, he's also been a pin-up on a dartboard. I don't see the harm, or that much difference. But wait a minute here come the pc brigade, and nanny state supporters. I'm very glad I grew up in a society before all that.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Apr-2019 19:03 Message #4737972
I don't think it is. He is somebody's son and somebody's dad and then there are the copycat idiots who would like to turn the UK into a state fearful of victimisation and label those who dare to complain as weak. The put up and shut up brigade. It's all going very primative.

It's dreadful that society is normalising such behaviour, that mocking others is fair game.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Apr-2019 19:13 Message #4737973
It's not something that I have done, but I think Maggie Thatch had a few things like that, and many others since.

Some people go too far unfortunately, but that is the case with anything.

Using a politicians picture for target practice, or on a dart board or something is not new.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 3-Apr-2019 19:35 Message #4737975
We don't want pc soldiers. If there were ever to be a war, or even the wars that are current, you fight for your country, for your way of life and democracy and to keep your citizens safe.

Other nations would just love to see a country bogged down with politically correct rules that could effect the fighting spirit of its defence forces.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Apr-2019 20:06 Message #4737978
I don't agree with it especially, but their biggest sin is probably to get caught.
As has been said, they won;t be the first, and they wont be the last.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Apr-2019 20:56 Message #4737980
Its funny, but maybe not right.
I think it would be funny if Jeremy bought them a load of targets.
Say normal Bullseye targets, with a public handover, there you are lads.

It would get rid of the PC brigade in this instance too.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 3-Apr-2019 21:25 Message #4737981
Well he might just have to go to Kabul to present it (Afghanistan). Just keep his wayward sympathies for terrorists under his shirt.

And the wests's arming of the mojahedin which indirectly armed Al-Queda, is so above reproach, I wonder that the powers that be are fit to pass such accusing judgement. But, there you go.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 3-Apr-2019 21:40 Message #4737982
These soldiers are or were in Afghanistan, a very dangerous place. They never know from one day to the next whether they could be killed or severely maimed.
Does anyone really want to see them punished ?.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-Apr-2019 22:16 Message #4737984
Well if he wants to be our PM, he will have to put up with worse shit than that. Look at the abuse Trump gets, for example.
What concerns me is how dumb these soldiers were to video it and bung it on social media, as if it wasn't going to go viral...
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 3-Apr-2019 22:18 Message #4737985
At school we used to draw pictures of teachers on outside walls and see who got the most hits on them with a soccer ball...we avoided getting caught which would result in a crack 'round the lughole, but they never publicised the event in the local paper.
When Thatcher was in power we had her picture on the canteen wall and threw darts at it, I'd still be tempted to do the same with any tory minister - especially Rees-Mogg, so it would be unfair of me to critiscise people for doing the same with someone else's image.
Don't let the media take it out of proportion.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-Apr-2019 22:23 Message #4737986
Also, Corbyn could have shrugged it off when asked about it. He could have cut the soldiers some slack, bearing in mind he might be their boss soon.
Instead he went off on a sombre voiced sermon about respecting people and how outrageous it was.. blah, blah blah.
This is the bloke who has an MP needing security at their own party conference because she feels threatened by members of her own tribe.
I respect the bloke less and less each day...
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 4-Apr-2019 08:53 Message #4737996
An idiotic storm in a teacup. Absolutely meaningless and pointless. If the target face had been anyone other than a loony left politician nothing would have been said.
Does anyone not think that most high profile politicians and many undesirables in civvy street have not found their picture being shot at? People really need to grow up and concentrate on important issues.
Of course there is the civilian version with a picture on the dartboard.

Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 4-Apr-2019 09:02 Message #4737997
Very funny. 40 years ago when I was in the forces, a number of terrorists photos were pasted on the range targets. Not a problem then. Only a problem due to millennial snowflakes.

Trevor
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 4-Apr-2019 10:51 Message #4738001
I agree with others who believe it's just a non event but whatever your political persuasion you can hardly blame army personnel from finding Corbyn distasteful due to his anti-British/embrace the terrorist stance. If he became Prime Minister I can see his effigy on many bonfires come November.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Apr-2019 11:16 Message #4738003
I just think Corbyn missed a golden opportunity to be statesman like - instead of expressing his disgust and saying that those responsible should be held to account, he should have taken a more conciliatory approach.
He could have expressed his disappointment, saying our armed forces are the best in the world, they do an excellent job in difficult and dangerous circumstances and how he is disappointed with the video because he knows they are much better than that.
That would have made the soldiers look silly, taken the heat out of it and shown him to be the statesman.
Whether he believes it or not - and let's face it he probably doesn't - that's what a PM should do, after all, if/when he does get the job, there will be people out there who will want to shoot him for real, and whether he likes it or not, he may have to send British soldiers into war.
This is what totally turns me off about him, he is a 69 year old agitator who has no clue what being PM means or entails.
The only reason this story has not escalated in the media is because Brexit has taken over everything...
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Apr-2019 14:19 Message #4738011
Jo Cox
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Apr-2019 14:28 Message #4738012
Hierophant 3-Apr-2019 22:16
Well if he wants to be our PM, he will have to put up with worse shit than that. Look at the abuse Trump gets, for example.

Given the serious nature of this allegation concerning a very small minority of OUR courageous young military wo/men, I don't think it's wize or constructive to draw a parallel between our society and anything to do with the US(A)'s way of resolving their internal and external disputes.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Apr-2019 14:36 Message #4738013
Think what you like...
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Apr-2019 15:16 Message #4738014
RAACH84 4-Apr-2019 08:53

Does anyone not think that most high profile politicians and many undesirables in civvy street have not found their picture being shot at?
People really need to grow up and concentrate on important issues.

- - - - - - - - - - -
1) You draw an equivalence between most high profile politicians and many undesirables in civvy street.
A rather rash and poorly considered opinion to post on a public forum, think you not?

2) Does anyone not think that most high profile politicians and many undesirables in civvy street have not found their picture being shot at?

As with many items concerning Social issues, UK has again taken the lead in imposing probably the most restrictive gun laws in the world. (Pending legislation in NZ)
Are you perhaps actually based in US(A) and have unwittingly mistaken what is considered a normal recreational practice of shooting friends, neighbours and especially little children at school, for what goes on in UK, where even our Bobbies-on-the Beat don't carry fire-arms?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Apr-2019 15:48 Message #4738015
Hierophant 4-Apr-2019 11:16

The Royal Military Police (RMP) - Redcaps - have this firmly under their control and under intensive investigation.

Are you implying that they and the appropriate military hierarchy are not in close touch with Mr Corbyn, Mrs May and the S-o-State?

Are you implying that they and the appropriate military hierarchy are not capable of handling this vital matter without help from "politicians"?

It is to be hoped NOT, since any other stance would show a remarkable lack of trust in the defenders of our liberty - home and abroad.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 4-Apr-2019 16:24 Message #4738016
Is this the troll thread?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Apr-2019 21:49 Message #4738031
Troops should be no exception to be held to account if they deserve any respect. I don't mean using Corbyn's picture per se, but it is the thin end of the wedge in an escalation of disrespectful behaviour.
The daft boys will be boys thing and society has already lost the plot.

Corbyn has never supported terrorism or terrorists and anyone with a modicum of logic would see that wanting peace not war is completely at odds with supporting terrorists.

I wonder if anyone recalls recent news on British troops murdering people in the Irish fighting thinking their plunder would go unnoticed. Then in Iraq, British troops again were caught out torturing prisoners of war and making fun at piles of dead naked victims of battles.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Apr-2019 21:56 Message #4738032
Good2BWith I have no idea what you are going on about, your post makes no sense as a response to mine...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »