Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

What can Jeremy bring?

To the party.

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 2-Apr-2019 21:07 Message #4737911
Mrs May says she will talk to Jeremy about Brexit.
What do you think he will contribute to the Brexit situation.

Will he have any pre-conditions?
Will he disarm the UK before agreeing to talk?
Will he use the condescending voice?
Will he have any MP's left before they start talking?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-Apr-2019 21:53 Message #4737915
He will probably screech like he does at PMQ's - his voice gets screechier and screechier, it's not pleasant to listen to.
Or he'll walk out in a huff...
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 2-Apr-2019 22:34 Message #4737920
# Mr J R M, chair of the so-called ERG, is furious
# Nick Robinson Tweets:
Free the Downing Street 23 ! Held against their will for more than 7 hours & denied the basic human right of texting their mates in the media. This appeal is brought to you be the National Association of Hacks, Scribblers, Pundits & Allied Trades
# The 23 members of the cabinet were locked in for over 7 hours, had their Cell Phones confiscated and were not allowed access to the Free World until Mrs May had addressed the nation
# Mr J R M accuses Mrs May of being a Marxist Fellow Traveller.
# Johnson, B, suffers from rapid onset alopecia.
# Mr Lesley Leslie MP invites Mrs May to join His New Party and is immediately given a spanking and sent to bed by Mr Chuckles.
# Barrage, N orders another pint and announces the formation of UKIP Mark 8
# Corbyn, J goes into hiding
# Leslie Lesley MP climbs out of Windows 8.1 and goes home to his Mother.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 2-Apr-2019 22:59 Message #4737921
Jeremy apparently has said he is is very happy he has been asked to help resolve the deadlock. It sounds like more chaos to me.

Tory eurosceptics are far from happy. Why is it every move this woman makes seems worse than the one before.

Constant delay is not going to resolve Brexit. The EU will not grant a deal without at least part of their '4 freedoms' being part of the package. And parliament is not going to vote for them by the looks of it.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-Apr-2019 07:36 Message #4737930
Poor TM can't win, people have been crying out for her to compromise and involve other sides, as soon as she does the same people are giving her a hard time and saying she has sold out.
All this talk of cross party or a government of national unity is fantasy land stuff...
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 3-Apr-2019 07:44 Message #4737932
About time the MP's of this country did what they are paid for ...

Representing the people and respecting their views.

But I suppose that a wish / step too far.

Chris.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 3-Apr-2019 10:29 Message #4737937
Theresa May had lost the plot completely! So have her MPs. They had the chance to vote last Friday (and twice before) to save Brexit and they didn't. Wasn't the best deal, but at least it was a path to getting Brexit. What can Jeremy Corbyn bring to the table? Nothing! Well, nothing that will deliver what the majority voted for ... leave the EU. He said before the EU referendum, that the vote would be respected and it was either in or out, and so said the majority of politicians. Also that there would be no other referendum ... it was once in a lifetime vote, blah, blah, blah.

We will never leave the EU.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Apr-2019 11:49 Message #4737949
Trouble is it is too late now to bring in others, that should of been done at the begining before triggering article 50 and not just Labour but the devolved governments too, plus representatives from the English regions and other interested parties.

i think she's inviting Corbyn to drink from her poisoned chalice to spread the toxic load, basically if she's going down then so's he. I wonder if either of them will be able to compromise? It could be a demonstration of that old philosophical conundrum about an irrestable force meeting and immovable object. I think even if they do manage to reach a compromise people in their own parties won't back it, the ERG and their ilk. They want us to leave and trade on WTO rules, but they're being a bit disingenuous about tarrifs, WTO rules state that there have to tarrifs, you can't do tarrif free trade. WTO rules would be easier if it was something that had been planned for from the begining of the breixt process, but now all we have is chaos.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 3-Apr-2019 11:59 Message #4737950
Planning, planning??? That's what Marxists do.

Neo-liberal BrExiters believe in the Market, and planning will sabotage the operation of the (mythical) Free Market.

Planning - OUT. Planning - OUT. Planning - OUT - OUT - OUT
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-Apr-2019 12:04 Message #4737952
I don't see why it's too late, we could have another two years to talk this out if we really want. I'm sure the EU will agree to more time if we demonstrate we are trying to solve the conundrum.
Any government would have done the same and tried to deliver Brexit by itself, that's how our political system works.
I think we are pissing in the wind though, none of the parties or MP's have the will or desire to compromise - that would have been the case two years ago...
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 3-Apr-2019 13:19 Message #4737954
Hiero..

"Poor TM can't win, people have been crying out for her to compromise and involve other sides, as soon as she does the same people are giving her a hard time and saying she has sold out.
All this talk of cross party or a government of national unity is fantasy land stuff..."

Poor TM would never consult JC unless she were in the last ditch of losing. It's for her own self, and to get his support on a customs union.

She would have done better to have consulted cross party members before committing to the December Joint Report, tying the N. Ireland border to the backstop agreement, and pretty well handing over control to the EU.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 3-Apr-2019 13:27 Message #4737955
ps What makes you think another 2 years is going to make a difference. We've already had nearly 3. And the situation appears to be getting worse by the day.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Apr-2019 16:33 Message #4737959
WH

"i think she's inviting Corbyn to drink from her poisoned chalice to spread the toxic load"

That was my first thoughts.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Apr-2019 16:50 Message #4737960
Nothermit,

I think the conflicting bit will be the Customs Union as May definitely doesn't want one and Corbyn definitely does. The idea of a Customs Union, I think was the nearest of a majority on the recent votes and only missed by 4 votes so I guess it's the best of a bad bunch. I think Corbyn will aim to convince her to try it as is still Brexit and also is a compromise for many Remainers and businesses.

As for your other comments. Corbyn never planned to disarm anyone. He just sees Trident as a white elephant waste of money and not exactly an insurance against attack, could even make us more of a target.

If you think he is condescending, is he any more condescending than May, Johnson, Rees Mogg to name a few?

Will May have any MP's left?
Corbyn seems to be doing quite well.

I am near the end of Nick Clegg's book and his liaisons with other political parties, especially the conservatives and how Government doesn't really represent anyone without a proper proportional representation voting system where a large minority can also be represented. I think this is what is panning out in a Conservative Government which had no majority. Supporting what Clegg wrote was Letwin on the radio this morning, even more so because he followed another Conservative MP I have forgotten her name, but she was tribal and vociferous against Corbyn and the old Marxist debate. Letwin was gracious and eloquent in explaining what Clegg advocates, that communication and involvement across parties is a grown-up kind of politics and reduces tribalism as well as being considerate to the majority of voting points of view.

I just hope May is not paying lip service to engagement when she so far, seems dogmatic and insular in her approach which even her own followers have come to realise.

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Apr-2019 18:44 Message #4737970
Gilpin, I actually agree with you, I too wonder what difference another 2 years will make, unless they make it the cross party descision it should always have been and that includes the devolved assemblies, the English regions and interested others such as business. I think TM is excluding the devolved assemblies because she dosen't really support devolution of any sort and nor I suspect does Corbyn.

TM is reminding me more and more of Elizabeth I on one of her bad days, I wonder if she's thrown any shoes and ornaments at ministers?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 3-Apr-2019 19:39 Message #4737976
I suspect the difference could be that over 2 years Brexit will eventually not take place. Because no deal will be found that actually takes us out.

TM is in a world of her own. Elizabeth I, did at least keep the country (despite its religious differences) together.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Apr-2019 20:52 Message #4737979
I think they will try and keep us in the EU at all costs, like they are doing.
EU setting ultimatums No extension unless long extension will backfire.

I think they have no choice, its Brexit or nothing.
2nd Referendum, no seat at next General Election.
Same with cancel Brexit.

General Election, Lost seats by the bucket load.

Even Brexit would only give them some damage limitation.
The EU do not want the UK to have Euro elections.
The EU vote would back up the Brexit vote.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Apr-2019 15:23 Message #4738675
What can Jeremy bring?
To the party.

NOWT! Corbyn couldn't possibly bring anything worthwhile to any party ever!
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 15-Apr-2019 16:18 Message #4738679
Maybe vol-au-vents ???

Chris.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Apr-2019 20:03 Message #4738706
He can't grow vol-au-vents on his allotment.

I think he'll bring carrots.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Apr-2019 20:24 Message #4738707
Do you help him down on the allotment Lyn?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Apr-2019 22:06 Message #4738723
What can Jeremy bring?
To the party.

I bet he's the type of bloke that brings a bottle of his own crappy home made elderberry wine and secretly drinks the expensive stuff that someone else has brought...
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 15-Apr-2019 23:03 Message #4738731
It would serve you right for inviting him.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 16-Apr-2019 08:42 Message #4738752
I would never invite him to any party of mine - to begin with I was willing to give Corbyn a bit of a chance, he was never going to impress me with his politics but there was a certain novelty value to him.
Now, having seen how he operates, I view him as a loathsome individual whose "Cuddly Grandpa" mask has well and truly slipped.
I now seriously detest the man and everything he stands for - if he becomes PM, my biggest regret is I don't have the means to move away from the UK and live elsewhere...

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »