Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Hows your garden

so far

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Apr-2019 10:58 Message #4737853
I thought it would be nice to have a thread on something non-political, that hopefully not going to get monstered with insults and accusations of insults and party political broadcasts. So lets have a thread thats a bit more "old School" where we just share stuff and chat about more normal stuff.

I'm madly prepping the ground, digging out my big loam pile and the compost I made last year, after taking any perenial weeds out of the beds I'm dumping new soil and compost on the beds I want to do as much no dig as possible. The painter and decorator we had come to do the kitchen has horses and nowhere to put the poo, so I've got a good source of manure, she even brings it round bagged up in her van. I've got to put a new potting bench in the greenhouse and fix one of the panels thats fallen off, which will displease all the local cats who use it as a sun room, its mostly Bertie and his friends, then I can get sowing. I start most stuff off in the greenhouse as the weather's so iffy this time of year and we're a bit later for planting than those of you further south.

I've got an old greenhouse frame that I want to put half together and cover with netting to keep cabbage whites off my brassica's.

Has anyone ever made a hot bed before, as I've got some raw poo, I thought I'd have a go at growing some squashes in one?
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 1-Apr-2019 12:48 Message #4737856
Wrecked!

I came home from visiting LO only to find my garden fence pulled down, trees chopped down and a neighbour was digging up my garden with a mini digger. Don't ask me why, we are hardly in contact with them and hadn't fallen out. The police were a waste of time. They took over a week to come.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 1-Apr-2019 12:52 Message #4737857
Looking on the bring side I've planted a five variety apple tree because I thought they sounded interesting and were on offer at the time. It's blossoming at the moment. You can find the at yougarden dot com
Male
Keithagain  Male  South Yorkshire 1-Apr-2019 15:29 Message #4737858
Yes, I agree that the monsters have taken over the lunatic asylum.
I much prefer to talk about gardening!
I have had a stoke some years ago and I have got my builder to erect raised beds. This year should be the last one. I have just got to erect a fence to replace the privet hedge.
There are photos of the gardens progress in my albums.
It will be much easier to plant stuff. This year I am growing stuff from seed, as well as ordering things.
I have a lot of wallflowers which when they have gone will be replaced by perennials.
I mostly plant them for summer, but do have things that come out around now...magnolia, camellias and a clematis.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Apr-2019 18:48 Message #4737867
Bris what a horrible thing, what did he say when you confronted him? Can you get an ASBO on him and/or sue for damages?

My gardens looking quite good too as over the last year I've been buying perrenial plants that are reduced because their seasons over, I've found I can often get two or three for the price of one at normal price, the viburnum that was a runty sprig when I got it has come on beautifully, I will have to think about pruning it, but I'm not sure when? Lots of the bulbs are out and i planted loads more, summer ones this time, I want to have the whole ornamental side of the garden to be low maintainance and not have to bother to much with annuals except what sows itself.

Looking at the weather forcast I think most of the rest of the week will be a sewing, cooking and reading week as it looks like its going to be cold and I'm a bit of a tender perennial.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 1-Apr-2019 19:10 Message #4737868
I'm so sorry Bris. Might the council do something?
My neighbours, who turned out to be horrible once I didn't want my hawthorn hedge from the 50's, pulled out with only 2 days notice so they could erect a 6 ft fence around the front garden, which is actually illegal, if it's not 1 metre in on a highway. Anyway, I decided not to stress about it and keep enjoying the birds that enjoy the hedge.

WH.
Well my first attempt at tidying up the lawn for the season resulted in me mowing, for the first time I might add in 50 yrs, through the mains lead. Not sure if I've mentioned it before but a few hours have passed since then and I've been to Sheffield and back.

Since Christmas, I bought an Ergemont Russet apple tree and put in near my hawthorn hedge in the front garden, and couldn't resist a dwarf fig tree which is doing nicely in a large pot near my French windows at the rear.

I've aggressively cut back a Rosemary which was trying to be a hedge in the wrong place and gone back to having a go planting potatoes.

The blueberry and rhubarb I planted last year appear to have survived and now they are established I'm hoping I'll get a pie or two from them over the summer.
Now I've partially retired, it means I'm home most afternoons to be able to manage it all a bit more.
With my daughter holding down a small job and her having ME and 2 x border collies, my lawns have taken a hammering so I am always patching up after them. The problem is, during the week my gardening now has competition in taking the dogs around Sale Water Park but I guess it all adds up to keeping fit.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 2-Apr-2019 00:45 Message #4737882
Brisinger

Once upon a time a had a 3 variety apple tree. those trees need careful pruning otherwise you will end up with a dominant apple taking over , usually the most tasteless one!

I too have a problem with neighbours and my healthy green privet hedge. ( left side )
The hedge was a bit overgrown and untidy when we bought the house in 1976 , but over the years I have been cutting it down, feeding it and got rid of the bramble and ivy . In 1982 we extended our livingroom to the left with a sunlounge leaving a small path between the green hedge and a large window to the side . I give the hedge a Vidal Sassoon cut every 2/3 months .
My then neighbours liked the green hedge and there was no problems at all until 2010 when the present neighbours moved in after the bungalow got extended and modernised. They too have a small path between their bungalow to the right , some windows with obscure glass.
neighbours want a wooden fence all the way down to the street which I object to as I don`t want to look out on a high wooden fence so close to a large window.
however they are doing their utmost best to kill the hedge which from their side is NOW an eyesore because they cut it too far back and yesterday someone was busy putting post in the middle of the hedge for reed fencing???
Tomorrow I must get the exact drawings of my boundary as neighbours may be a foot into my property.

I am having a huge conifer cut down . Over the years to crown has become very wide .

leogirl.

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Apr-2019 10:41 Message #4737889
I'd always wondered about those 3 variety fruit trees, the single variety ones seem to do well, but again you do need to prune them carefully. We had a huge old yew tree cut in half earlier in the year as it was just to big and we were worried about it falling and/or damaging cables, the cats all love it and scamper up the inside and play king of the castle. We have a large hedge too, luckily for us the boundaries are clearly marked so we havn't had any neighbour problems, touch wood. Why if theres a hedge to provide privacy do they need a reed fence? We're lucky in that we have a very good hedge cutting man and he's brought it back to a good shape and good health over the last 6 years after it was massacred by the people the previous owner got in to do it.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 2-Apr-2019 11:28 Message #4737891
Crikey Bris ! That really highlights how neighbouring properties can affect your own particular patch ! Amazed at the behaviour some folks think they can get away with.
It's only in the past month or so that I've realised just how much the continuing dereliction next door was getting me down. But since Xmas, when a new owner took over and really went to town (looks like Easter for completion) my mood has improved substantially - optimism abounds on both sides of the fence !

Turned the compost bins over the weekend - stuff from autumn now sits in black plastic bags to ferment through early summer and the bins now have room for this seasons arisings.
Maybe should have chopped the penstemons back before Xmas, but they were still flowering and that red was an uplifting sight - anyway, now there's plenty of cutting material to grow on for a continuing display at the back end of this year. Much to be said in favour of perennials - you always know where they are for one thing, but they do require some maintenance, 'refreshing' with secateurs at least every couple of years.
So, the 'time for pruning' idea is something I'm becoming more relaxed about - the best pruning time is when you have the cutting implement in your hand !
Speaking of which, the conifers that were given my idea of 'cloud pruning' at the beginning of winter and (thanks to Twinkle) are now thought of as 'lollipopos', are beginning to show some new shoots and might yet fulfill my dream of an informal, yet full, billowy shape.

Three apple trees on dwarf rootstocks are coming into leaf and the sparrows don't seem so interested this week in nipping out the emerging buds - oh well, one less pruning job for me to do.

With the rain fading away, I might get out there later and stuff some more broad bean seeds in over the compost buried in January - that was patch that was vigorously worked to rid it of cooch grass - not a job I want to do for some time to come !
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 2-Apr-2019 12:00 Message #4737894
My garden is a bit of a mess, it needs a total remake, but at this time I can't get it done.
Male
flowerpotman  Male  Dumfries and Galloway 2-Apr-2019 15:16 Message #4737902
Makes me feel so lucky that I have no neighbours just grass farm meadows and the farmer is organic so no nasty sprays although he does spread slurry sometimes and cuts the grass for silage. I have a large garden with drystone dykes to the front and one side. I have planted native hedging on the other 2 sides to encourage the wildlife.We bought an extra half acre of the field 10 years ago and I have planted it up with mainly perennial trees shrubs and herbaceous plants, it is now a haven for all manner of wildlife. I raise most of the plants from seeds and cuttings.
It is a pleasure to sit in various parts of the garden and I can see the sea from the top, and also at night the sky is lit up with stars as there is no artificial light.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Apr-2019 18:47 Message #4737907
ISMFU, when you get some gardening time, I'm sure we'll all have helpful ideas if you want them that is?

flowerpotman, you're garden sounds lovely.

I've just bought 3 pots of pins for 50p each and a chocolate cosmos tuber, yesterday I planted out a load of peacock orchid bulbs, we had some already and they were so lovely last year I thought I'd use them to tie all the rest of the big ornamental bed together. I'm going to have to go further afield for garden centers though, the ones on the island don't seem to do water plants and I still want to make a small water feature.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 2-Apr-2019 19:29 Message #4737908
Hey Bris, what is your neighbour like, what was he up to?
If you want the police to look, just add a bit to the story.
Why would someone dig in your garden?
Unless there is a very good reason it needs checking.
He could have buried things in it?
I once caught someone dumping toxic waste, they were only supposed to be erecting a fence.
Have you seen his wife lately?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 2-Apr-2019 20:13 Message #4737909
I f you tell the Police you think there is body buried in your garden you get it dug over for free.

Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 2-Apr-2019 22:15 Message #4737917
Eh-yup Barney ! Free digging, I suspect, is unlikely these days - more likely they'd wheel out the Ground Penetrating Radar for better preservation of any evidence.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 2-Apr-2019 23:15 Message #4737923
I don't know why what we pay the Police for. I phoned 999 and told them what they had done and that they were threatening me physically. It took over a week for them saunter to the door to ask what had happened. They basically shrugged their shoulders, told me it was criminal damage, as if I didn't know, and walked off. The problem with suing someone it costs too much money.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 2-Apr-2019 23:41 Message #4737924
Its also trespass, have you any idea at all what he was up to?
Stock answer nowadays is see a solicitor, like you say expensive.
Is he building anything?
I would imagine suing would actually possible, if you were able to do it yourself.
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 3-Apr-2019 09:39 Message #4737934
brisinger, I am sure you can still get a free half hour at a Solicitor.
Or try Citizens advice.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 3-Apr-2019 09:56 Message #4737935
wonderoushen.

My neighbour is all set to kill the green hedge by cutting the hedge on his side so severe that THERE IS NOT A BLADE OF GREEN ON HIS SIDE.
who would cut a hedge almost in half , just to exercise his - what he thinks is his right .
next door to my neighbour lives a couple who have a green hedge. I wonder if this couple have the same problems .
I find it so arrogant and mean to dictate to me what I should do with a perfectly decent and good looking hedge that is not at all interfering with their property as it has been cut on their side to normal size width previously.
Same person also hammered a huge trellis to a new garage of the young couple at the back for their trained pear tree. I am sure that is not allowed by law. like they were trying to use my wooden fence to train a fruit tree.

I am sure neighbour will give comment and complaint to me about having the conifer tree cut in a few days time.
I just have to ignore it because I is nothing to do with him.

Leogirl.
Female
jennifer  Female  Gloucestershire 3-Apr-2019 10:23 Message #4737936
Jeez, Bris! Has your neighbour gone insane?!!!

I always find that working in the garden and greenhouse helps me forget about everything but what is growing, or needs to be growing, in my garden. Good therapy. Hard work, though, which is taking me giving myself a right talking to to get myself out there these days! But, when I get my backside in gear, I always feel better when I get into it. My late husband used to say that it took a lot to get me going, but when I did, I didn't know when to stop! Haven't changed, Graham!

I've got back and front gardens tidied up. Got summer bedding plants started in the greenhouse. Lots of tadpoles in the garden pond. I like to watch their developing process from frog spawn to little frogs jumping about everywhere! Simple pleasures!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Apr-2019 11:32 Message #4737946
Can you do a no win no fee arrangement with a solicitor?

I think one of the problems of being an owner occupier is when you have bad neighbours such as Leogirl and Bris have, trying to stop them ruining your property or being anti-social is almost impossible. Not only does the law seem hazy, but getting anyone to enforce it is a nightmare, the police see it as a low priority and so do the councils, neither have the people or the budget to do it properly. Afterall you can't evict an owner occupier and move the problem to another area like you can with tennants, with the anti-social neighbours I used to have it took the concerted efforts of several neighbours and even people in the next street to get anything done.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 3-Apr-2019 12:03 Message #4737951
brisinger,

Hire a digger for the day and wreck the neighbours garden. Then when you have finished ask him why he wrecked yours.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Apr-2019 10:58 Message #4738601
I've finally got some seeds planted both in the ground and in the greenhouse, stuff is actually coming up, I think today will be a greenhouse day as its quite cloudy. I've still got so much left to do, weeding the ornamental beds and finishing planting them, planing where to put stuff in the big veg bed, move the strawberries, after I've weeded the bed they're going to, plant raspberries, remove the last of the purple sprouting mulsh the bed ready for peas and beans, make a hot bed, put together the top half of the old greenhouse frame so as I can use it for netting the brassicas to keep cabbage whites off. Shuffle pots and tubs around, replant pots and tubs, continue to remove gravel and create the rest of the front garden on one, then do the other side. I feel worn out and aching just thinking about it all!
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Apr-2019 11:18 Message #4738602
I'm currently at my sister's so have been admiring her garden as she has had a gardener help her with it. We've been out buying plants the last couple of days and yesterday i was helping her repot strawberry runners and the bargain azalea we bought. I have plants to take home and plant in my garden once I get some more soil into the beds. Still a few more days here so more plant shopping opportunities to come.
Female
Lainiepops  Female  Hampshire 23-Apr-2019 21:24 Message #4739128
I am saving up for some dynamite, so I can blow my garden to smithers and start over from scratch. It looks like a bombsite, apart from the pond in the middle of it. Blowing it up would make it look 100 times better.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »