Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

General election

MPs

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 30-Mar-2019 13:48 Message #4737774
Gisella Stuart MP says MPs do not want another election because they are scared they will lose their seats.

Well they are going to have to face the public sooner or later.

Lets hope its sooner lol.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 30-Mar-2019 13:54 Message #4737775
It sounds fun until you think we could have a parliament dominated by the SNP or a whole host of minor extreme parties...
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 30-Mar-2019 14:17 Message #4737777
Problem is who on earth do you vote for. And one has to vote, depends who party leaders are, really, doesn't really help. Their manifestoes shred to pieces.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 30-Mar-2019 14:56 Message #4737778
Someone has said on a radio phone in today that he thinks that there will be a big change in politics.
Instead of either left or right wing parties such as Labour or Tories it will be between Leavers and Remainers so it will be between possibly Lib/democrats and the Brexit party,
I can see what he is getting at.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 30-Mar-2019 15:30 Message #4737779
The Brexit party, that Nigel Farage has pledged to lead should the delay go beyond March. Forgot about that, and it has Electoral Commission approval for candidates in any upcoming elections. That'll be interesting.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 30-Mar-2019 16:22 Message #4737781
If the Brexit party put up a candidate in my area I will vote for them but if not I won't bother voting for anyone else.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 30-Mar-2019 16:45 Message #4737782
Well done Barney! Me too. I've only ever voted Tory except once. But they don't know what they're doing! And Labour is all over the place.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 30-Mar-2019 18:45 Message #4737783
barney 30-Mar-2019 13:48
Gisella Stuart MP says MPs do not want another election because they are scared they will lose their seats.

Gisela Stuart hasn't been an MP since the 2017 GE.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 30-Mar-2019 19:21 Message #4737784
Hey G2B, if it was not for those pesky 17.4 million votes, you would have got away with it.
Its took parliament quite a long time to realize this, there is no way out of this without Brexit.
Those 17.4 million votes will go somewhere.
Idiots like Corbyn and May, that think its all about them?
It will be political carnage at the next election, and very, very funny.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 30-Mar-2019 19:25 Message #4737785
Hey G2B, if it was not for those pesky 17.4 million votes, you would have got away with it.
Its took parliament quite a long time to realize this, there is no way out of this without Brexit.
Those 17.4 million votes will go somewhere.
Idiots like Corbyn and May, that think its all about them?
It will be political carnage at the next election, and very, very funny.
Male
grahamg  Male  Cheshire 30-Mar-2019 20:47 Message #4737790
It is worth asking what might happen should an election be called, maybe ukip, or Nigel Farage's new party, or group will win some support.

However, a victory for Labour, as maybe the most likely outcome, would give a chance we'd see a Brexit negotiated with the EU of some kind, and then maybe some kind of confirmatory vote, as to whether that is the public's preferred option.

Anything other than an outright victory by one or other of the main parties would probably not move things forward of course.

There's my input, in my second post on this forum, and to nail my colours to the mast, I voted to remain, but was content with the outcome once it was announced in 2016. Overall I believe a deal of some kind is better than no deal, but know the Irish border situation is almost beyond resolution in a manner that might satisfy be enough of those who must be placated.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 30-Mar-2019 21:23 Message #4737792
Northern Ireland voted to REMAIN in the EU Referendum by a majority of 56% to 44%

However, the people of that part of the Island of Ireland are only allowed to be represented in the Commons by the DUP, a pro-BrExit party. A group of MPs who were bribed to act as mercenaries in Mrs May's fight against democracy.

Isn't it about time that the legislation was changed so that ALL the ppl may have their MPs able to sit, speak and vote in 'The House'?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 30-Mar-2019 23:52 Message #4737797
Only allowed to be represented in the Commons by the DUP

G2B, why do you keep posting such rubbish.
Are you totally deluded?

Looks like you read something and posted it without doing any research.
Remember, you should be more accurate, because you are the one that knows what he voted for?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Mar-2019 00:40 Message #4737798
NotHermit 30-Mar-2019 23:52
Only allowed to be represented in the Commons by the DUP

G2B, why do you keep posting such rubbish.
Are you totally deluded?

Where are the Sinn Fein MPs ?
They were elected democratically to Parliament. Or do you dispute that fact too?

Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 31-Mar-2019 07:20 Message #4737800
"Where are the Sinn Fein MPs?"

Sat at home on their arses refusing to do the work they were voted in to do! They aren't blocked from parliament - they choose to not attend!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 31-Mar-2019 10:42 Message #4737806
Now it seems that the Tories don't want a GE, probably because they know it either won't solve anything, or they'll get hammered, but to be honest I think unless Labour change quite drastically they'll get hammered too.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Mar-2019 11:45 Message #4737808
Petitions
UK Government and Parliament

Petition
Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.
The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

6,002,530 signatures
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Mar-2019 11:57 Message #4737811
Nigel In Devon 31-Mar-2019 07:20
(WRT)
"Where are the Sinn Fein MPs?"

Sat at home on their arses refusing to do the work they were voted in to do! They aren't blocked from parliament - they choose to not attend!

Your reply confirms that you are totally ignorant of why they are debarred from taking up their seats.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 31-Mar-2019 13:42 Message #4737812
only 6,002,530 signatures

Hardly proof of the strength of public support then is it.
By this stage why isn't the total over 16.1m representing those that originally voted to remain.
plus all those who previously voted to leave that want to change camp.

Just saying ...
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Mar-2019 16:18 Message #4737815
OnlineMSE 31-Mar-2019 13:42
only 6,002,530 signatures

Hardly proof of the strength of public support then is it.
(sic)

If one adds together ALL of the totals of ALL of the negative (pro-BrExit) Petitions in ALL of their forms they add up to less than 2 million.
On that reckoning of like with like - comparing apples with apples, it looks like Stasis with Britannia's Head to the Wind is what is called for in this maelstrom of Right-Wing, neo-liberal drive to poverty for the vast majority of the population of these Sceptred Isles.

When even the BBC is driven from its reactionary bolt hole to have programmes to discuss, and find, that Mrs May is the WORST PM in the history of UK.
Adding to that,
# The "Sundays" have declared that we are well up the proverbial creek, without a paddle.
# The Cabinet has fragmented beyond recovery
# Mrs May is considering a FOURTH (vainglorious) attempt to run her papier-mache "deal" thru' the tank-metal wall of Parliament.
# The fall in the value of the BPS is causing havoc in every sector of finance and industry in UK.

It's time to sound the retreat, call off A50, and try to hold the ship steady under a Corbyn-McDonnell captain and crew until we reach the safe port of the EU
As Mr J R-M had drummed into him from a very early age, starting with his Wet Nurse:

Always keep ahold of nurse
For fear of finding something worse.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Mar-2019 17:23 Message #4737818
I've avoided this and other political threads, but just now thought it worth saying that considering the actions of one person on here alone I wouldn't now vote or support Labour if I was paid. Whether it is a ploy to get people to support the right wing camp I don't know, I suspect the reasons are more complicated.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 31-Mar-2019 17:47 Message #4737822
we really should stop feeding the troll...they hate being ignored.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 31-Mar-2019 17:54 Message #4737823
You can tell he's lost it when he types stuff like ..."and try to hold the ship steady under a Corbyn-McDonnell captain and crew"

Is that ship The Titanic by any chance?
Corbyn looks a lot like Captain Smith, when you come to think about it...
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Mar-2019 18:19 Message #4737825
terry 31-Mar-2019 17:23

... 1.0)considering the actions of one person on here alone I wouldn't now vote or support Labour 2.0)if I was paid.

1.0 Persons who react in that mode are referred to as "Cushions" = they bear the impression of the last person who sat on them.

2.0 If you wish to get involved in shifty political financial affairs like that, you'd be best associating yourself with the DUP, their (allegedly) corrupt leader or even Gisela Stuart (Even if she/her anti-EU set-up, owe ~£60 000 in fines for their blatant overspend in the In/Out Referendum. )

3,0 Instead of hiding behind such phrases as one person on here be BRAVE for a change and Name names.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 31-Mar-2019 18:31 Message #4737826
G2b...they are not debarred. It is entirely their choice not to take up their seats!

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »