Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Trolls.

Do not feed

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 28-Mar-2019 16:13 Message #4737693
I have decided I am not going to partake in any thread where Trolls either start a thread or post in one. Why give them the attention they crave.

Most of them are just Google Warriors anyway.
To save you looking it up a definition of a Google Warrior is,

A individual who believes they know everything from the use of search engines and forums.

So do not feed the trolls and hopefully they will go away.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 28-Mar-2019 17:37 Message #4737694
Total agreement here, talking about General elections, what about this one.
Anna Soubry stands for election in 2017 for the Consevative party.
Consevative manifesto, deliver Brexit.

Now lets look at this superior intellect, what does she do next?
Leaves the Conservatives (Loses future votes).
In 3 years time or less, she thinks she will be elected?

I am so looking forward to seeing her result.
I think Soubry is a perfect example of the inadequate politician.

I do not think Jeff is actually a troll, he just gets a bit excited.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 28-Mar-2019 17:45 Message #4737696
The path of the righteous is indeed a lonely one.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 28-Mar-2019 18:04 Message #4737697
No, Jeff is not a troll. His posts are usually well thought out and informed.
Not full of garbage that doesn't make any sense.

Some of those Independent MPs are on very slim majorities so could be interesting.
At the next election the parties will field new candidates that represent them so I predict that most of the Independents will be out on their ear and collecting their P45s like a lot of the other MPS.

Like you, I can't wait.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 28-Mar-2019 20:05 Message #4737701
Is Minnie a Troll?

One of the Trolls says he is not anti semetic, because Israelis are not semetic.
What kind of twisted logic is that?

He is the blindest of the blind.

disclaimer. Minnie is not a troll.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 28-Mar-2019 21:41 Message #4737707
Is Minnie a troll ?.

I have no idea because I don't know what she meant lol.

One of the trolls has cleared off but no doubt he will be back one night, after having half a shandy and a sniff of the barmaids apron, to launch into a rant about someone, probably me lol.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 28-Mar-2019 23:05 Message #4737717
One of the trolls who is posting recently seems like a right dickbrain.

He is probably just on a wind up. Harmless enough, but still a dickbrain.

I could block him, but then I'd miss out on laughing at him, not with him, but at him, so I won't be doing that.

It is often quite entertaining, in a strange sort of way, seeing them make total dicks of themselves. It is best not to take any of it too seriously. I sometimes get involved in retaliating to them, and sometimes can get a bit carried away, winding them up, but then just suddenly ignoring their latest message. It probably plays havoc with them, and I can imagine them with steam coming out of their ears, snot coming out of their nose, waiting and waiting and waiting...
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 29-Mar-2019 12:25 Message #4737742
I think you have the right idea tumbleweed.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 31-Mar-2019 20:58 Message #4737841
Troll is on form tonight, talking to himself in an imaginary bar.

You're my best mate, (hic). Did I tell you about the petition
I'm boring I am, (hic), I am after Nigel now, he is ignerereranter
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 31-Mar-2019 22:20 Message #4737844
The troll is that stupid I don't think he realises he is a troll.
He even gave the wrong description of a troll,

Just ignore him he will soon get fed up and go away.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 31-Mar-2019 22:26 Message #4737847
damm,
i really should practice what i preach, but it can be fun to toy with them.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 1-Apr-2019 00:22 Message #4737851
I know what you mean fosy but they crave attention.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 1-Apr-2019 19:16 Message #4737870
On the thread entitled should the scum return

Troll1 calls Troll2 a Troll?
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 1-Apr-2019 19:33 Message #4737872
Agreed Fosy! However, does that make us trolls for toying with them and winding them? I ask because it appears I am ignorant!

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 1-Apr-2019 19:45 Message #4737873
Troll2 says Fosy is a reverse Troll.
Troll1 says Troll2 is a Troll.
Troll1 is anti semitic, but says Israelis are not semitic, so he is not anti semetic.
Troll2 wants to bring in legislation to enable people to attend parliament, that do not want to go!
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 1-Apr-2019 22:44 Message #4737879
nid,

you will be ignorant in their eyes.

on 7th feb i posted what i believed to be a troll;
"they are easy to spot, they only have one agenda, are determined to stir the shit, and when people wont agree with them they start throwing personal insults about.
they cant stand being ignored.

dont feed the trolls !! "

we may as well toy with them or completely ignore as debate is impossible, they only have one very narrow viewpoint which will never change, no matter how viable the alternative viewpoint.

for me, how i determine a troll still holds good.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 1-Apr-2019 23:04 Message #4737881
just noticed one troll tried to start a thread "reverse trolling".

even the site algorithms have got his number...and they cant think for themselves !

it just gets better !!
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 2-Apr-2019 08:23 Message #4737885
Troll2 banged some insults out this morning, He is going to demote me from Nigel's patsy,
to Fosy level (Also ran).
Does that mean I have to go crowd surfing at Madness concerts?
He is making religious quotes too, he is developing into Mega Troll.
Still it keeps him off the streets.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 2-Apr-2019 10:07 Message #4737887
For a ...
"Trolls.
Do not feed"
thread, they are certainly getting plenty of attention on here! lol.

I reckon there are Trolls on this site that are readily accepted by some members as being kosher!
one in particular springs to mind! lol.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 2-Apr-2019 12:15 Message #4737895
"Does that mean I have to go crowd surfing at Madness concerts? "

depends how much you weigh...there are limits ! ;¬)

mega troll, lol !
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Apr-2019 22:25 Message #4737919
I have suspected for quite a while that 3 of your trolls are actually the same person.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 2-Apr-2019 23:13 Message #4737922
tumbleweed
"I could block him, but then I'd miss out on laughing at him, not with him, but at him, so I won't be doing that."

I didn't know you could block on the forums. Please, yes, where is the button!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Apr-2019 17:01 Message #4737961
So the bullying starts again, ganging up on one person who disagrees with an alternative view.
Name calling???
Herding???
Personalisation???
Belittling???
Self smug glorification??? (I made that one up, but you might know who you are)

The funny thing is, those in the calling chamber all assume we all "know" and agree with who such a troll is.

When is a troll not a troll?
When they themselves being trolled and when those naming the troll are actually themselves trolls but don't know it.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 3-Apr-2019 17:24 Message #4737962
We all have our own ideas of what trolls are. There is an 'official' definition, and there are many individual interpretations.

Someone who picks an argument, just for the sake of it, is perhaps a troll in some peoples eyes. Someone who belittles anything you write is likewise a troll to many. Perhaps someone who picks on people as well. Or someone who just wants to disrupt, for whatever reason.

I find certain things noticeable. It doesn't take much to see it happening. I'm not saying that I always get it right, but the majority of the time I do. Retaliation can seem like a form of trolling as well.

There was one of the ones who people are hinting at, who threatened to call the police on me a few days ago. I was posting what I considered as normal type stuff, and he started 'baiting' in my opinion. He also quoted a message that someone else posted, and attributed it to me. I then retaliated, and suddenly he is crying wolf and threatening me with the police. Maybe I shouldn't have retaliated, and just 'not fed the troll', but his 'running to teacher' was pathetic.

Just like it would be if I named him on here. Against site rules and all that. He would certainly want someone to name him, so he can 'run to teacher' again.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Apr-2019 18:02 Message #4737965
tumbleweed,

We wouldn't have conversation threads if we didn't have different opinions and experiences to contribute.

I'm not saying my interpretation is the right one, but the only trolls I know over the years on Facebook, for example, are people who, as you say, belittle other people. I'd go further and say not even in retaliation as that could be a consequence of being trolled and feeling victimized.

The definition of bullying though is being made to feel you cannot report your feelings. That if you respond, that somehow you are the one that is victimizing someone else. Bullys often know how to manipulate circumstances to turn on those they abuse into looking as though they are the abusers so even IF someone if being "pathetic", it is they who decided if they FEEL bullied and anyone should reflect on their actions if those being reported have even inadvertently put someone into a vulnerable position.

It's peculiar how bullying behavior is infectious when opportunities arise amidst like-minded people.

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »