Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Pneumonia

Bronchitis

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 15-Mar-2019 09:21 Message #4736916
Don't hear much about these nowadays, yet growing up in the fifties and sixties I have a recollection of both of them being talked about a lot, with many family members having or having had these illnesses and some dying due to them.
Makes me wonder if the clean air act had a lot to do with reducing incidences or our lifestyle choices were the main thing. It's probably a mixture of things I would guess but it just interested me how rarely both are mentioned.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Mar-2019 09:45 Message #4736918
People do still get bronchitis, I guess the clean air act made a difference, but also better quality housing, less damp and mould.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 15-Mar-2019 10:04 Message #4736920
It seems as common around here as it was in the past.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Mar-2019 10:32 Message #4736924
All vulnerable people get the Pneumonia 23 vaccine. Those over age 65, those with long term health conditions over age 2.

In addition, Pneumonia 13 (the amount of strains in the vaccine) has been given to 8 week old babies for over 10 years at least. They get 3 doses up to age 1.

This might go some way to reducing the amount you hear about Terry.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 15-Mar-2019 10:47 Message #4736926
I've had the pneumonia jab, so it is still around.

I think Brucie died of it, although it's probably something to do with age as well. I'm not sure what constitutes dying of old age, or dying of something that you contact through old age.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Mar-2019 11:36 Message #4736930
tumbleweed,

In the 70's, as a nurse then, death by pneumonia was nick-named "The kind killer".

My dad at age 92, died of it after a fall and breaking his shoulder.

Don't quote me on it but I seem to recall that there were 122 strains of pneumonia and the jab covers 23 of them so we can still catch plenty of other types.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 15-Mar-2019 12:27 Message #4736936
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg191/documents/pneumonia-final-scope2
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Mar-2019 14:39 Message #4736942
Right now, my partner & I both have chronic chest infections. We have both (separately) needed paramedics this week. Its been a horrid week and still not out of it yet. I had to get him to hospital Sunday night (and back) after he collapsed. The paramedics came & checked him over
but couldnt take him to local hospital, only one 25 miles away. So I had to get him to the local where they gave AB's . He is only just about walking today, then next day, I needed paramedics due to pain, breathing problems & choking infection. We are both now on AB's but different ones. I havent even dressed since Sunday and been in bed most of time - problem standing - weak. I am trying to make arrangements for prescription delivery as there is no-one to ask round here, to collect for us.
We both had the flu jab, the pneumonia vaccine,also the shingles one during past few years. I cant speak more highly of all the paramedics - they were wonderful. They told us that most of their call-outs at this time are pneumonia, bronchitus & asthma - with chest infections being high on their list right now.

I didnt know there were so many different types of pneumonia Justlyn - quite frightening, and very hard for those people in the medical profession to have to keep identifying them all as well as treating them.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Mar-2019 16:27 Message #4736947
Prescribers are not supposed to be defaulting to prescribing anti-biotics unless preventatively given and have COPD, but I think that is under review at the moment.

There are not enough different types of infection for each type of infection. There is now supposed to be a blood test first, and a sputum sample sent to the lab to determine which antibiotic the infection is actually sensitive to.

So many still just plod ahead and prescribe and guess, because that is the pressure they get from the patient with the threat of being told negligent, yet so many times I see the lab results after the event where the prescription was pointless because the one prescribed the infection is resistant to and you are talking of a sum of only around 2-3 options.
Male
Helper icon Helper
Chris2mates  Male  Lancashire 18-Mar-2019 21:30 Message #4737110
How awful for you Victorana. It's one thing to suffer winter problems but when you are both in that condition with chronic problems the weight of your experience must at times seem almost unbearable. I do hope you soon feel on the mend and with spring seeming to be but a short distance away, the prospect of better times should gladden your heart. Get well soon and stay cheerful! - I'm sure many on here would endorse these sentiments too!
Female
Bewildered  Female  Norfolk 19-Mar-2019 09:32 Message #4737124
Our local hospital has regular admissions for pneumonia , and TB
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 20-Mar-2019 11:14 new  Message #4737214
Thanks for the kind words Chris2mates and other pm's.

I think we are both on the up a bit now. Himself has actually gone to the docs this morning. Its a bit of a long job though and this has really knocked me out too. It appears that they are issuing AB's for bacterial Pneumonia/bronchitius but are trying 'not to; for viral. A bit too tech for me. All I know is that I have never had a chest like this and together with asthma attacks, its been an awful week. Its so frustrating having so many things to do and not able to get out and do them. Everything is on hold at moment.

The animals are aware of me not being well. Leah (G/shepherd) keeps sitting next to me with chin on lap, & if I have a coughing fit, she starts wailing. The cats are always sitting at the gate and even the peacock is being a bit quiet although he heard me coughing at 3.30am yesterday and screamed back at me.

Just to see the sun coming out make you feel a bit better.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »