Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Hobbies, crafting

and generally creating

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Mar-2019 11:31 Message #4736750
I've just got back into making textile pictures, its frustrating because my fingers don't work as wll as they did and I can only do it for short periods, but it feels so good to be creating more than havoc and to have an indoor project as well as the garden for an outdoor one. I still love cooking and making new recipes but its nice to have something a bit more long lasting and that isn't gobbled up in minutes either by us or Monty.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 11-Mar-2019 21:04 Message #4736767
I've always enjoyed making embroidery pictures/samplers and the like, but find that it's more difficult to see things these days. I need a good light so can't really do it in the evenings any more.

I'm good at starting projects but finishing is always an issue.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Mar-2019 10:48 Message #4736775
I prefer daylight too, at least at this time of year there is more natural light, I keep seeing those magnifying lights on an anglepoise stand in catalogues that fall out of my mums weekend newspaper, I wonder if they're any good? I've had to move on to using big needles and wool rather than embroidery silks as my fingers can't cope.

I love the different colours and textures of wools, silks and fabrics, I've got more ideas than I have time or skill though.
Male
Mikejon  Male  Lincolnshire 12-Mar-2019 11:25 Message #4736779
Hello everyone- I have become interested in the 'Sewing Bee' BBC TV although there is little detailed instruction but have a hankering for a modern sewing machine. I have a perfectly usable hand cranked 'Jones' from my late mother but can't use two-hands to feed the fabric (no light or zig-zag stitch either- and I'm left handed too). Perhaps I should just go and lie down till the feeling passes!
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 12-Mar-2019 15:04 Message #4736786
I've got a hand cranked Jones too!

I used to do embroidery but it's difficult to find silks locally and for many years I couldn't see to thread a needle. It still takes a frustratingly long time. Perhaps after a second cataract operation I might be able to sew again.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 12-Mar-2019 17:58 Message #4736798
I spent 18 months or so in a fairly deep depression. I knew something was missing from my life and assumed it was a partner.
Then I stumbled upon YouTube on my smart TV a d started watching painting videos. Colour In Your Life in particular... I began to notice my brain starting to wake up. I watched them for a good couple of months. Then the penny dropped... The thing that was missing from my life was me, my soul I guess. I began painting abstract stuff using a fluid art technique in October '18, by Christmas my depression and comfort eating had gone.
I think. Being creative lights up part of my brain that connections with people just doesn't reach.
I. Think without it I definitely wouldn't be here today as I was trying so hard to work out how to end my life... Im so glad things didn't get that far now as life is very good, I'm very content and don't feel lonely any more.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Mar-2019 18:53 Message #4736799
I love the sewing bee and have watched from the first series and am so happy its back on, I do find it inspiring, I wish they'd do some non dressmaking sewing too, or encourage the competitors to embelish an existing garment, they have all these fancy machines and I think they can all do embroidery.

I don't know if you can get left handed sewing machines, but theres no reason why not although they maybe more expensive, I got mine for £50 in Lidl and its a really good basic machine, only trouble is it works for everyone but me. For everyone else it sews perfectly but I get nests of thread underneath even when I'm sewing on the same bit of cloth and haven't tampered with it, I've come to the conclusion thats its just spiteful.

I think you should give it a go, you might really enjoy it.

Clocky, I think modern consumerist society makes us think that we've got to have input all the time and that the way to happiness is shopping and shopping for relationships too, everythings got to be perfect and shiney, but real lifes not like that. I think we need output, to make and create to be truely happy and contented, it dosen't mean its all got to be about making money, another lie we get fed, 'make a living from your hobby', yeah right then it stops being something you enjoy and find relaxing and starts being a chore and a cause of stress. I love to cook, but I watch masterchef and think that restaurant cooking would put me off for life, I have cooked professionally and having lots of people praising my food was good, but no way would I want to do restaurant style. I find creating whether its cooking, sewing or gardening good for my soul, its meditative, my brain relaxes whilst my hands and eyes are occupied, apart from when I get a "brilliant idea" for a new project just as I'm dropping off to sleep, then I want to leap out of bed and start on it straight away, even though I've got unfinished stuff and don't have the materials to do the new project.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »