Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

VITAMINS

Do you take them

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Mar-2019 13:50 Message #4736666
I dont take any but everyone I talk to, takes something. I dont have any medication at all except my 2 inhalers. I wonder if I am getting to an age where I should take some. What do you take, if any, and do they make you feel good, or keep you going, or what.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 9-Mar-2019 14:10 Message #4736667
I don't take vitamins at all and never will, cannot understand the benefits of such expense.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 9-Mar-2019 15:41 Message #4736672
if your diet is ok, there should be no need for any supplements, unless there is an underlying health issue.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Mar-2019 15:55 Message #4736676
Nope neither do i
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Mar-2019 18:33 Message #4736684
I don't unless I have a reason to.
Female
Pickled  Female  Middlesex 9-Mar-2019 18:44 Message #4736685
I was advised to take vitamin D initially because my levels were low...Apparently our levels of vitamin D drop as we age. I also take magnesium for similar reasons
Female
Ilsmileforu  Female  Durham 9-Mar-2019 19:35 Message #4736687
My GP, rang me and told me to take vitamin D,I didn't even know he had tested me for that.
He was supposed be testing m cholesterol and for Diabetes.

I take a few vitamins because of health issues.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Mar-2019 20:58 Message #4736690
My doc said everyone over 50 should take Vit D for their bones, she said it helps bone density so I am thinking of starting it. I wondered too, about Vit B complex for tiredness, stress etc. Someone I know has injections regularly and she said they do help with the energy levels. She gets it on NHS too. Anyone taking it ?
Female
honeybun06  Female  Derbyshire 9-Mar-2019 21:49 Message #4736691
I take Vitamin D daily. Helps immunity.
We also both take Glucosamine and Turmeric to relieve joints and have definitely feel the benefits of it.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 9-Mar-2019 22:01 Message #4736692
I take Vit D with Calcium (AdCal) prescribed after my surgery.

I also take a daily VitC with Zinc
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 9-Mar-2019 23:32 Message #4736696
Following a prompt from a thread on MSE a couple of months ago, I investigated and began taking Vitamin D tablets, because for all my outdoor activity, I reckoned that I was insufficiently exposed to whatever sunshine was around to be making myself.
That gets swallowed the same time as a daily glucosamine tablet and experimentation has shown me that my joint mobility is better when taking the stuff than when I'm not.
Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 10-Mar-2019 00:25 Message #4736697
I take a multivitamin, plus a glucosomine/chondroitin and omega 2 capsule daily.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Mar-2019 11:33 Message #4736711
I take my turmeric in food, I love curry and make loads of different ones.

I used to get vit B injections but they stopped doing them now as NICE I think it is has decided you only need an injection every 5 years unless you have pernicious anaemia, I did feel better for having them, my GP agrees with me, but is limited in his power to go against policy.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 10-Mar-2019 12:29 Message #4736715
I don't take any and my energy levels are quite high. I am always on the go. I was led to believe that it is far better to have all your vitamins from food naturally than in tablets etc. And you can overdose on vitamins. Many are also added to some food items. As to vitamin D, it is not just in sunshine, as is also in salmon and other oily fish, cod liver oil, egg yolks and mushrooms, to name the main ones. Happy eating, : -)

Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 10-Mar-2019 13:41 Message #4736719
I was told to take a course of vitamin D a couple of years ago by my doctor. I don't have to take it now, possibly that did the trick, maybe kick start the bone thing to get it going again. Or something like that, I don't seem to have needed it since, touch wood.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Mar-2019 16:30 Message #4736728
I would say that everyone who lives this far north needs supplementary Vitamin D, in the winter at least.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Mar-2019 18:42 Message #4736736
There are NICE (National Institute of Clinical Excellence) guidelines on those vulnerable to Vit D deficiency. The test costs £50 and once found low, should not be repeated to check as that person should be advised to take responsibility for taking over the counter supplements.

I am the practice lead in Vitamin B12 deficiency because the GP know I have kept graphs for years, read various guidelines, asked opinion from gastroenterologists.

People who definitely need 3 monthly injections are those with diagnosed pernicious anaemia (no production of the intrinsic factor so cannot process oral B12), those who have had stomach surgery, those with neurological symptoms such as blackouts, numbness and tingling in limbs etc. One has to be careful here because many commence B12 assuming that is the reason when the symptoms might be due to something else such as carpal tunnel damage, epilepsy etc.

One has to be aware of the placebo effect where people only think that B12 is why they feel better. I always recall one patient telling me she could always tell she was due, yet her levels were triple the normal level at that point. These patients can waste a lot of appointments over many years.

Other things can affect the results such as certain medicines, even the pill can chemically shift more B12 into the muscle so the blood tst can be misleadingly low.

I have found quite a number of people have low B12 because of stomach lining inflammation due to over-consumption of alcohol. I suspect this could be why people who over consume can get neurological damage, so just injecting B12 and not checking lifestyle could just be putting a plaster on things and costing the NHS valuable appointments unnecessarily. We have hundreds being prescribed injections when sometimes oral B12 will work even though the UK is lagging in using out of date evidence.

About tiredness. I was on holiday a couple years ago and couldn't resist an article in a New Scientist edition, something like "Why are we always so fatigued?"
I've found a link...
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23230950-400-tired-all-the-time-why-fatigue-isnt-just-about-sleep/
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 10-Mar-2019 22:37 Message #4736742
I have been advised that at my age I should be taking vitamin A & D supplements. I also take Cod Liver Oil capsules every day. I have definitely found my ankles, knees and wrists are less painful and more flexible since taking these capsules.

Just face up to the fact that our bodies are less efficient as we get past about 50 or so and a bit of assistance makes your quality of life better.

SQL
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Mar-2019 11:23 Message #4736748
Thats interesting Lyn, I've recently started getting tingling in my arms like mild pins and needles, I thought it was because my back and neck were so painful, it did resolve itself a bit after a couple of visits to a chiropractor. The chiropractor thought I might have had some neurological damage, she checked reflexes in places I didn't know you could have reflexes and decided I didn't.

I'm also having investigations for diverticulitis, could diverticulitis effect the absorbtion of B12 and other vitamins? I don't drink, I exercise and have a good diet, but I've had IBS since childhood. Do you think this could be B12 linked?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 11-Mar-2019 18:09 Message #4736759
WH, it's a bit out of my depth on arms and back pain. I don't know. I do know that carpal tunnel syndrome affects mostly women over the age of 50 and it doesn't have to be both arms. I have had surgery for it on my right hand and you cannot see where they cut and released the nerves. There are specific symptoms with carpal tunnel like getting some relief by trying to sleep with your arm in the air, worse at night.

As for diverticulitis and B12 deficiency, I'm not sure. I wouldn't like to say no, but I don't think so, simply because of B12 apparently is only absorbed in the stomach and not the intestines or colon. I would guess, might there be some gastric inflammation that contribute to symptoms over all that time and whether you have had a gastroscopy to check, and it is not just a GP suspicion with no tests?
IBS in itself isn't supposed to be inflammation so much as irritable, anxiety related whereas Crohns and colitis can cause bleeding and extend from the mouth to the anus, often resulting in a colostomy whereas I have never of that with IBS.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Mar-2019 18:52 Message #4736762
I'm in the process of having tests Lyn so I don't know yet, but thanks for your answer.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 12-Mar-2019 14:51 Message #4736785
It should not be necessary to take vitamin supplements if one eats a balanced diet. Note the SHOULD NOT. Sadly this is probably not the case. Modern intensive agriculture give us big bouncing fruit an veggies but they are sadly lacking in nutritional value compared to those our predecessors had access to.

There follows a quote from "The Vitamin Murders - Who killed healthy eating in Britain?" by James Ferguson, written in 2007, following his interest in the 1952 murder in France of Jack Drummond, his wife Anne and their daughter Elizabeth. Drummond was an important figure in keeping the British people healthily fed during WW2.

"According to the Government"s own data, between 1940 and 1991, the typical British potato "lost" 47% of its copper and 45% of its iron. Carrots lost 75% of their magnesium, and broccoli 75% of its calcium... A study in Canada showed that between 1951 and 1999 potatoes lost all of their Vitamin A and 57% of their vitamin C, while today's consumers would have to eat as many as 8 oranges to obtain the same amount of vitamin A as their grandparents did from a single fruit."

I would be surprised if many other foods hadn't suffered similarly.

Personally I occasionally take a vitamin and mineral supplement. I do this if I am aware that my diet has not been good for a few days or if I am feeling under the weather. The supplements are most often vitamin C and B complex, or lutein to help support eye health.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Mar-2019 19:01 Message #4736800
I've heard that Aely about the lack of nutrition in fruit and veg, personally I think its because of soil loss and not looking after the soil. To me its another arguement in favour of growing my own mostly organic veg, healthy soil means healthy plants that don't need so much chemical mollycoddling, likewise I have my doubts about hydroponics, to me its like swapping dinner for a nutritional shake.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 14-Mar-2019 15:28 Message #4736869
"I have been advised that at my age I should be taking vitamin A & D supplements. I also take Cod Liver Oil capsules every day. I have definitely found my ankles, knees and wrists are less painful and more flexible since taking these capsules.

Just face up to the fact that our bodies are less efficient as we get past about 50 or so and a bit of assistance makes your quality of life better.

SQL "

Vitamin A I'm told is for vision. I've actually been looking for a combination of the two, vitamin A & D.

Used to take cod liver oil capsules as a child (parents rule). Don't have a problem with ankles, knees and wrists (touch wood), but then I have skipping in my exercise regime. However vision is a different matter!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Mar-2019 18:53 Message #4736885
Our bodies working less efficiently as we age can be a reason why we need supplements.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »