Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Brexit question

Tongue in cheek

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Mar-2019 13:46 Message #4736665
If we come out of the EU, does it mean I can use Feet and Inches again. I always have to translate CM's etc to Feet & Inches, even after all these years. Its so much easier to buy a 36" bra or 29" inside leg trousers, or a 52" tablecloth. And then there's curtains - I wanted some new ones recently & had a job converting 97". I still go to the market & ask for 3lb of bananas & 5lb of potatoes - they know what I want. I know I am getting older but sometimes I need a bit of help with all this. I might just be getting used to 500ml on my Pyrex jug but I really prefer 1/2 pint (dont think thats quiite right conversion but you know what I mean). Does anyone else have this problem or am I really a dipstick.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 9-Mar-2019 14:12 Message #4736668
I adapted to the coinage quite easily but always had a problem with weights and measures.
I was taught parrot fashion so had these things drummed into me right back to bushels and pecks and chains and furlongs etc.
I would be quite happy to revert back to Imperial measurements but there would be a problem with the youngsters who have been brought up with the Metric system.
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 9-Mar-2019 14:13 Message #4736669
I don't understand all this metricity nonsense, were we not originally imperial users ?

I would stay on the " back to the best known " camp if only it were possible, …. 8ounces of tomatos please .
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Mar-2019 16:35 Message #4736680
Most shops that sell chicken, sell them in pounds & ounces. Why havent they converted. It should be all or nothing. I suppose I prefer imperial as its what I learned at school. I used to work for a German company and had to convert £ to DM. That was so confusing when the euro came in. I havent got my head round that properly yet. I didnt mind Pesetas though . I would not like to go back to £.s.d. thats different.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Mar-2019 18:32 Message #4736683
I was at school during the change over from imperial to metric and I'm sure one of the reasons I get confused is the teachers were confused, but then I'm not mathematically minded. I tend to use both metric and imperial depending on what I'm doing or buying, with things like curtains it depends on how new your windows are, I guess it depends on how old your house is too, if it was built in feet and inches or metres and centimeters. I still have a 4oz handfull not a 125g one. I've got to admit though working things out in tens is much easier than twelves and all those poles and rods and stuff some of that goes back to Anglo-Saxon times
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Mar-2019 19:27 Message #4736686
You're right W/hen about the house age thing, & as this one was built in 1350, I suppose I am stuck in the middle (earlier) ages... lol. Poles rods and chains do my head in at the best of times. I just cant think how I managed to achieve A levels in Trigonometry, Latin &Tech drawing - I think I was a child prodigy... it didnt do me any good in life.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 9-Mar-2019 23:19 Message #4736694
Mmm - s'pose it's no wonder I get told off for being slow - wonder if that's connected to my measuring speed in furlongs per fortnight ?

Back to when I was bouncing around on the briny, whenever we put into a foreign port, money changing was part of the process for going ashore and sometimes it got so confusing, every currency was referred to as 'ickys'. No wonder I've never taken to that there euro currency.

Pounds and pints for ever ! Down with the ECJ - bring back stocks on the village green !

Only one worry though . . .

Will my continental quilt still work . . . ?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Mar-2019 11:40 Message #4736712
Golly V, I don't even know what trigonometry is, I bet Latin's more use to you than you realise though as so many of our everyday words are Latin in origin and it helps to pick up other European languages quicker or muddle through easier as Italian, Spanish Romanian and French are all heavily Latin based. I have very little Latin, but I'm amazed how much I've picked up and how when watching telly and theres a bit with subtitles that I need them much less.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 10-Mar-2019 13:22 Message #4736717
Not a maths person. I tend to ask the butcher how much is that in lbs and ozs. He never knows either, but has a secret conversion chart hidden under the counter and has to look it up each time. I think the secret may be to 'think' metric, rather than convert it to metric.

Kilometers is easier for some reason.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 10-Mar-2019 19:03 Message #4736738
it is quite easy to think in metric Victoriana. No wonder the Brits still struggle to work out a per centage of something.

I can just imagine the confusion of plumbers , electricians and what have you go back to the old system.
I will start a factory in conversion bits and bobs and become rich - or become mad!

leogirl
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 14-Mar-2019 17:51 Message #4736877
This is genius...
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 14-Mar-2019 17:51 Message #4736878
https://youtu.be/L9uj2GY1MHQ
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Mar-2019 18:52 Message #4736884
Will we still be able to do the Euromillions lottery?
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 14-Mar-2019 23:11 Message #4736904
Yes, tariff free.

The £s gone up and rising. How high will it go I wonder, buy now or wait.

Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Mar-2019 23:14 Message #4736905
There's no EU directive that insists we only use metric instead of imperial. Although I believe you're not allowed to not quote the metric size, weight/cost etc
The reason that metric has replaced imperial on packaging is likely because it's easier & cheaper to have uniform weights throughout Europe.
Men's clothes & shoes that are sized are always in imperial first on the main ticket, & even on the inside label.
Come on! as for converting inches to centimetres it's hardly applied maths difficult! just multiply it by 2.54
97"x2.54 = 246cm. Even a mark 1 brick mobile had a calculator on it, and there are loads of Apps available to use now if a calculator is too difficult.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 17-Mar-2019 13:20 Message #4737027
Hi vicoriana, i believe it is all to de with what you have been brought up with and what is most familiar. If a room is measured in feet and inches I can automatically relate to what size that is. If however it is in cnetimetres or metres and centimetres i have to think about it and convert, as does not come automatically. We never did quite go the full hog as it were as still have miles and did not change to euros. But usually the weight of a baby is given in pounds and ounces and most still use feet and inches to describe height. The thing that threw me was when they changed the gradient of hills, yet we still have miles and there are 5280 feet in a mile. They now measure them in percentages such as 12% etc. All I know is that it is a hill but other than that... Previoulsy if a hill was '1 in 3' I would know that for every three feet along the gradient woud rise by one foot and if it was '1in 10' for every ten feet along the gradient would rise by one foot. I immediately knew that '1 in 3' was much steeper than '1 in 10'. Simple? why change? Is there a fomula to convert percentage back to '1 in 3, 4, 5, 6. etc'?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Mar-2019 18:14 Message #4737037
I never knew what the formula was for hill gradients, I can sort of guess when its in percentages that the lower the percentage the steeper the hill alternatively I can just look where I'm going.
Male
Geone  Male  South East London 17-Mar-2019 19:15 Message #4737042
Don't start me on Brexit every time it annoys me, I'm on the remainers side any thing that takes this looong to leave and still not able to get out don't sound like a good idea to me!!! so many attempts even if you we get what we are given and not what we want as we don't have deck of cards anyway the EU does!!
Male
Geone  Male  South East London 17-Mar-2019 19:22 Message #4737043
on't start me on Brexit every time it annoys me, I'm on the remainers side any thing that takes this looong to leave and still not able to get out don't sound like a good idea to me!!! So many attempts to leave we tried and still going!!!, even if you we do get to " LEAVE!!" I meant to say !!! above sorry we WILL get what we are given and not what we want as we don't have deck of cards anyway the EU does!!
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 17-Mar-2019 21:49 Message #4737061
@ Sea Urchin
Is there a fomula to convert percentage back to '1 in 3, 4, 5, 6. etc'?
---
Yes.
1% = 1 in 100
10% = 10 in 100
100% = It's a wall
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 17-Mar-2019 22:39 Message #4737064
@ wonderoushen " I can sort of guess when its in percentages that the lower the percentage the steeper the hill "
---
Are you sure about that?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 18-Mar-2019 11:19 Message #4737082
No, but then I'm crap at maths and like I say I prefer to look out of the window, I've lived in enough hilly and mountainous places to know that if I'm in the Highlands of Scotland for example that I'm going to encounter steep hills, windy roads, sheep in the middle of the roads, crazy cyclists, people with caravans stopping in the middle of the road to photograph the views and people with no idea of what passing places are for, how to use them or that their cars have this thing called a reverse gear.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »