Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

NEW MOBILE PHONE ?

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Mar-2019 17:16 Message #4736535
Reluctantly I will have to get new mobile phone as I have done something to my present one and it will no longer connect to the internet. Various people have tried and failed to put it right so I need another phone asap. Present phone is a Smartphone but not Iphone.

My partner wants me to get an Apple (like his) but I am not sure. He is very into Hi-tec stuff but I am not. I dont EVER use it for games or social media or even Skype, but I DO need to be able access the Internet for things like Ebay, Emails,photos, Satnav, calls & texts. I am not one who needs to have dozens of Apps on show all the time.

Can anyone suggest please.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 6-Mar-2019 17:39 Message #4736537
I'm not saying don't buy an Apple phone but be aware that they got in trouble last year for deliberately 'throttling' phones (slowing them down) in order to 'persuade' users into purchasing newer models. They were making them less useable.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Mar-2019 18:38 Message #4736539
Heiwei, I think its called are loads cheaper than other smart phones, but, theres quite a bit of concern about the Chinese government asking them to data share, well not asking, making according to some. What about a second hand one? It would probably do all you need, but not cost a bomb.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 6-Mar-2019 20:11 Message #4736543
I think it is spelt Huaweii smartphone launched in March 2019
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 6-Mar-2019 20:14 Message #4736544
I got a cheap Iphone 6 from work (they replace all the staff mobiles regularly) and must say its very easy to use. Much more so than my old Samsung.

I'm certainly not bothered about having the newest model ( I'm still using my Apple Nano !! ) but they are user friendly.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 6-Mar-2019 21:33 Message #4736546
I haven't gone down the apple route for any of my tech.
So favour android smartphone, & tablets.
There really are so many android smartphone at so many different price points.
But to future proof yourself for at least hopefully a few years get one with the latest version of the android o/s ie.
v8.1 "Oreo" And 4G. & 2gb of ram
There are plenty of cheap phones that might only be 3G and with the last version of the operating system eg v7 "Nougat" or even older & not much ram.
But it might be a false economy as increasingly apps, even one's like the new BBC Sounds App for listening to radio & catch up aren't compatible with older versions of android and are memory hungry too.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 6-Mar-2019 22:23 Message #4736552
Try a hard reset (or words to that effect) of your current phone, maybe it's a factory reset - anyway it sets it back to it's original state. That might solve the issue.
Smartphones are smartphones as far as I'm concerned, they all do the same thing - you have as many or as few apps as you like.
I've had Samsung, LG and now another Samsung, I never fancied an Iphone mainly because everybody has them. I might try a Huawei next time...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Mar-2019 10:32 Message #4736559
Thers a comparison between the latest models in today Guardian.

Bunny, I can't spell, especially Chinese.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Mar-2019 16:49 Message #4736573
Sorry was not being funny ha ha

Just thought i would let you know how it was spelt lol
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Mar-2019 16:50 Message #4736574
You spelt Chinese right ?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Mar-2019 17:08 Message #4736575
Pedantic Tumble at your service.

I think the actual spelling is Huawei, without the extra i.

Glad to be of service.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Mar-2019 18:24 Message #4736579
Was not that sure about the extra i

Thought i would put it in just incase lol
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Mar-2019 19:38 Message #4736589
Thanks folks, I think I'll do tour of the Telephone shops tomorrow - then come back and check them out on Internet
Male
TheSarcasticOne  Male  Essex 9-Mar-2019 04:12 Message #4736641
Most annoying thing when buying a phone as I recently found out.

Approach a sales rep and ask about the PHONE and the first thing they say is "Really good camera"

Being somewhat technical, I already knew what I wanted from the specifications.

IP68, basically water and dust proof, not that I intend to test.

4G, just faster internet.

Android 9, future proofing the operating system for a couple of years

Why I was shopping in a physical store was so I could get a feel for the phone.

Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 9-Mar-2019 05:22 Message #4736643
Last phone I bought was a refurbished Galaxy Note 8. I like this series of phones because of the handwriting recognition despite the fact I don't often use it!

Separating the contract from the phone made everything so much cheaper.
Female
Nemesis  Female  Dorset 9-Mar-2019 09:14 Message #4736647
My son and I both have a Huawei - different models.

Great phones. They do everything the more expensive ones do, look great and the camera on the new ones is epic !
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Mar-2019 12:54 Message #4736662
I'm not at all technical but like TSO I get fed up of being told the camera specs, I don't take photo's and I certainly can't see the point of posting pictures of my dinner on social media another thing I don't use apart from here. I think one of the reasons I still don't have a phone is that sales people can't or won't answer my questions, but keep repeating the spiel, I keep repeating my questions until one of us gets bored and goes away.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »