Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Wondering . . .

water

Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 3-Mar-2019 23:34 Message #4736464
Have you ever wondered about those people who pay a fortune for those little bottles of Evian water...?

Try spelling Evian backwards . . .
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 4-Mar-2019 00:17 Message #4736465
ha ha ha . I glass of cold tapwater with a slice of lemon would do me nicely . sometimes I pretend to be posh and buy a large bottle of sparkling Scottish mineral water. it tastes a bit bitter, what I quite like. I don`t believe it`s any healthier .

leogirl.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 4-Mar-2019 08:30 Message #4736466
I don't even buy water airside at airports. Some have drinking fountains where you can fill an empty bottle but if not I just take my bottle to the bar or café and get it filled while the 'naive' stand in a long queue to pay £2.50 (or more) for 2 bottles.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Mar-2019 09:39 Message #4736467
Yes, I do wonder.
There was a TV programme a few years ago that involved a study of bottled waters and they were more contaminated than tap water in the UK at least.
People are under a delusion it is purer than what comes out of the tap. Also, I suppose it is convenient than remembering to take some out with you.
I suspect there is a weird status to it, maybe certain personality types are not conforming to certain peer pressure if they don't clutch a branded bottle in some groups?
And although I acknowledge most of us should drink more water, there's something acceptable these days about the instant gratification.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Mar-2019 10:19 Message #4736468
The only time I buy bottled water is if I'm caught out somewhere and am thirsty and then I buy the cheapest and always still, I think sparkling water tastes weird, I always carry a big bottle of water in the car for Monty, so I have some if I'm thirsty after a walk.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 4-Mar-2019 15:33 Message #4736472
Seems strange now but in 1961 where I lived we had no electricity or tap water.
Electric came from two generators and water came from a stream that made its way down through the hills and fields into a small river.
We used to collect it in churns and it was crystal clear.
When we were out playing us kids used to drink out of river or stream and it never harmed us. Mind you in those days fertilisers and chemicals were not used on the farms where we were.
Not sure you could drink it now.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Mar-2019 18:39 Message #4736475
I was always told never to drink from streams downstream from sheep as you could get liver flukes, also to be aware of any mining that had gone on, even years previously there could still be poisons in the water. I think people forget how in many rural areas even in the mid 20thC things like piped water and electricity were either rare or just not there. I think theres a few places here that still have private water supplies, theres plenty who have septic tanks as theres no mains drainage. When I think of where I used to live we had electricity and phone lines but I don't think they'd been upgraded since they were originally put in 50-60 years ago and people no tmuch older than me remember the first phone in the village.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 4-Mar-2019 19:45 Message #4736478
Oh yes - to all of the above - and 'don't eat yellow snow'.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Mar-2019 10:34 Message #4736486
Amazing what you can learn from listening to a Frank Zappa album, I'd not heard of yellow snow before.
Female
justfem  Female  Cambridgeshire 5-Mar-2019 10:54 Message #4736488
I think that one reason is based on locality that probably started the craze. If you live in a hard water area where the water comes from a chalk basin the water often comes across as dry and not thirst quenching possibly especially to people who've lived in soft water areas. I'm lucky in that I live in a soft water area that doesn't have that problem. When visiting a relative in Hatfield I could tell straight away because the water tasted dry and 'chalky' unless you boiled it.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Mar-2019 11:05 Message #4736489
Down in the area of the Metropolis the water is pretty hard and not great tasting.
I've used a jug water filter for years and that takes out a lot of the things that affect the taste and it definitely makes a better tasting & looking cuppa and you get less furring up of the kettle too.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 5-Mar-2019 12:13 Message #4736490
Yes, it probably fed from the same chalk basin as Hatfield. Up here in the North we are lucky enough for the majority of it to be fed from soft water areas such as The Lake District. I've noticed the difference when I've travelled down south so appreciate why bottled water is drunk more in that area.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Mar-2019 14:14 Message #4736491
Can anyone remember when a lot of people had wells in the garden ?. We had one that we used for all our water needs,
I have a well in my garden where I live now, When I shine light down it I can see a underground stream running the through the bottom of it. The water looks nice and clear but not sure I would drink it though. Probably be ok if boiled.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Mar-2019 18:46 Message #4736500
I think you can get your water tested for quality Barney.

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 5-Mar-2019 20:45 Message #4736502
I think I will get it tested then I can use it to water the garden if we get a drought.

Funny thing is last year I was using the digger to clear some old trees and undergrowth when the bucket pulled up a big concrete slab. Underneath was a shaft leading into a huge cesspit which was like brand new. Turns out it was built for the house but before it could be connected they put main drains in the road outside so it was never needed.
Could come in handy as a air raid shelter lol.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 6-Mar-2019 18:48 Message #4736541
I hate to say this but Evian is the only bottled water I would choose. Water snobbery! But its a really nice water, I like it. So it's Evian or Brita for me. I believe its sourced from Lake Geneva.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Mar-2019 10:38 Message #4736560
Gilpin, its really a matter of personal taste, because I would chose Evian last, on the few occaisions when I buy water its ussually Brecon Carrig or Buxton, occaisionally Volvic and always still, never fizzy. I think I'm lucky to live in this part of Wales I don't think our water is recycled or not as much as those of you back east, 'Don't flush the toilet, the English need the water!' used to be a slogan of Plaid Cymru in its more fringe days.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 7-Mar-2019 12:09 Message #4736567
Gosh, Evian is rated one of the best, how extraordinary. But that's taste for you, and you're entitled to yours.

Originating from rain and snow deposited on the French Alps amidst the old glaciers & mountains.

I don't know a lot about toilet water I'm afraid, now or historically!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Mar-2019 18:50 Message #4736584
When I worked in a food shop we'd get bottled water that boasted about how it came from glaciers that had been around for thousands of years, they had a 6 month sell by date on them, we always said how lucky it was they got that water out of the ground just in time.
Female
Gilpin  Female  Middlesex 7-Mar-2019 21:14 Message #4736593
There are loads of bottled water from glaciers, but they aren't Evian. But somehow I don't think you get it. There are loads of types of cars but only one Rolls Royce/Bentley? I still don't think you will get it. But hey it is totally unimportant. And even trivial.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »