Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Im as fit as a fiddle

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Mar-2019 16:25 Message #4736395
My doctor says I’m as fit as a fiddle. I know that is good although I know nothing about fiddles or why they might be considered fit.

Any ideas?

Better than being as dead as doornail I suppose!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Mar-2019 18:22 Message #4736399
Its better than be as bent as a fiddlers elbow though!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Mar-2019 19:38 Message #4736401
Better to be fit as a fiddle, than fit to drop
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 2-Mar-2019 20:06 Message #4736402
Or even fighting fit

Fighting for breath and fit to drop! ;-)
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Mar-2019 23:43 Message #4736408
Is a fiddle fit and was a doornail ever alive? My mum used to say tired as tombstones which didn’t make much sense either.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 3-Mar-2019 09:31 Message #4736416
I’m feeling as right as ninepence.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 3-Mar-2019 12:02 Message #4736423
From Internet search.
Origins: “Fit as a Fiddle”

“Fit as a Fiddle” as an expression has been around since at least the 1600s – only then it didn’t refer to one’s health, but rather a person or object’s suitability, the word “fit” understood as in the sense of “fit like a glove.” Shortly thereafter ”fit” obtained its connections with physical wellness and it is in this sense that the expression is still used today.

No one seems to really know how “fiddle” became part of the expression. Some have speculated that because, for the most part, a fiddle (violin) is held tightly tucked under the chin of its player, it can be said to be a tight fit.

Others have pointed to the nature of the violin itself, that in a lot of cases it represents a highly crafted piece of musical technology, regardless of when it was constructed, with all its pieces carefully joined and fit together.

Whatever its origins, the main reason “fiddle” appears in the phrase is probably because it completes an alliteration with “fit,” and which like other alliterations, rolls nicely off the tongue and sticks in one’s mind.
...and now you know.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 3-Mar-2019 12:05 Message #4736424
Hasn't the meaning adopted been changed.
I always thought that the "fit" wasn't a health thing. It meant it was "suitable" or "fit" for purpose.

Just the same as the "dead" in the doornail, relates to when you knacker a nail as you're hammering it in, by bending it before it's fully in and rendering it "dead" or no good for use. So also then not fit as a fiddle.

I quite like "what's that to do with the price of tea in China" (particularly relevant for a lot of what's been discussed over the last 2 1/2 years of Brexit debate) and "I'll go to the foot of our stairs"
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 3-Mar-2019 12:06 Message #4736425
Origins: “Dead as a Doornail.
“Dead as a doornail” is a very old phrase, appearing first in written works going back to 1350, and even then it had the same meaning it has today. Certainly by the time Shakespeare used it in King Henry VI, Part 2, 1592, it was widely understood.

In times past, doors were made of several planks of wood. Etymologists believe the expression “dead as a doornail” refers to the long, big-headed nails that were used to join a door’s timbers together.
To secure the door’s planks, doornails were pounded through both the horizontal and vertical boards and then, to provide added strength and to make sure the nails would not fall out over time, the exposed shafts of the nails would be bent back and pounded into the crosspieces.

Keep in mind that back in the day, all metal objects, including doornails, were handmade and relatively expensive, and every attempt was made to constantly recycle and reuse these objects. But because bent doornails were difficult to salvage and unbend, they had no afterlife. They were considered “dead.” Dead as a doornail. Hence the expression.

So now you know. : -)
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Mar-2019 12:16 Message #4736427
It's raining cats and dogs here
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Mar-2019 12:19 Message #4736429
Raach, Mum's never make any sense ha ha
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 3-Mar-2019 13:04 Message #4736435
Fit as a butchers dog.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »