Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Making a water feature

in half a barrel

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Mar-2019 16:05 Message #4736393
I've seen some cheap half whiskey barrels in B&M and thought they'd be ideal for a small pond, I'd like a wild life pond but I'm unsure if I would need some sort of fountain, how it would stay oxygenated and what sort of plants would attract wildlife. Being surrounded by the sea and some freshwater too, theres plenty of wildlife around, I'd just like to encourage more friendly species into my garden and I know that some kind of pond is the best way of doing so, do I need fish and what are good plants. I've tried looking online, but of course being me I didn't get very far and ended up more frustrated than when I started, how can you have something like the internet and it be so hard to find stuff out? It was all either American or kits, there were a few utube videos but I dont' have any speakers so they're no good.
Male
vanman  Male  Cambridgeshire 2-Mar-2019 19:36 Message #4736400
Google 'gardeners world barrel pond' there's a section there about making a mini pond, in pictures, so you don't need sound.

What you don't want are fish ( they eat tadpoles ect.) Or a fountain, the plants will oxygenate the water,
You will need some small rocks or stones to make a bit of a ramp to enable wildlife to get in and out.

It's all on the above mentioned website.

After you've made it it might take a while for wildlife to find it! :-)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Mar-2019 11:48 Message #4736422
Thanks vanman, thats just what I wanted, now why could I find that when I did a search?

I've heard some people say that a jar of water from an existing pond acts like a starter and introduces all the right microbes and stuff to a new pond, but others say don't as it can introduce nasty stuff. Any opinions anyone?
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 4-Mar-2019 22:09 Message #4736481
You can't go wrong by buying a bag of watercress from your local supermarket and dumping it in. It's natures cure-all. It keeps nitrates under control, encourages wildlife and oxygenates the pond. To put the icing on the cake you can crop it and use in the kitchen and dining room. I've always used it for my koi pond because it takes a lot of the hard work off you. It's one reason it is used in water treatment plants.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 4-Mar-2019 22:16 Message #4736483
Getting a jar from a mature pond that's not full of nitrates and duck weed is known as seeding. The one thing to be careful is making sure duck weed is not introduced. It will soon spread all over the surface of the pond and chokes it. Once it's in it's hell the remove.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Mar-2019 10:30 Message #4736485
Thanks Bris, what a brilliant idea I love watercress and much prefer it to the ubiquitous rocket.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Mar-2019 19:11 Message #4736501
I had switched off the TV and decided to go through my RSPB Spring "Nature's Home" magazine, and there it was, an "Add a pond" mini article suggesting a link to their website on designing a mini pond.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/give-nature-a-home-in-your-garden/garden-activities/createaminipond/

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »