Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Cheap big planters

any ideas

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Feb-2019 19:00 Message #4736251
Many of my larger planters and tubs need replacing, I don't want to have plastic ones, but the non plastic ones are really expensive and some of the cheaper ones are horrible, what do others use?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 27-Feb-2019 19:48 Message #4736253
You could look on Facebook Marketplace, Freecycle, Gumtree, or Preloved for used ones people have got fed up with?

Could might find an old sink in the above and you could use that.

Not keen on old tyres but some find them useful, especially if you grow something that hangs over the sides.

What about an old cooking pot?
I've got a old copper one that looks OK.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 27-Feb-2019 20:00 Message #4736256
There are quite a few on our local Freecycle and also Trash.com but remember the big ceramic or earthenware etc pots are sooo heavy to move. I really struggle with ours when I want to change the soil and repot etc.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 27-Feb-2019 20:10 Message #4736260
Get hold of some wooden pallets & make up some yourself.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Feb-2019 08:04 Message #4736273
Good idea onlineMSE

Wood planters always look more natural and any wood you have lying around with a hammer and nails
you can knock up some yourself. Lol
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Feb-2019 10:53 Message #4736293
I'm not so keen on wood or baskets as planters as I find they rot to quickly, I've got a sack truck so moving the big ones isn't such a problem as I can slide the sack tryck under the feet of the pot. A tip I picked up on Gardeners World is to use broken up polystyrene packaging as crocks in big pots, I break it into quite big lumps and half fill the pot with it, not only is it lighter, but the pot takes less compost and its a use for a waste product that would otherwise go into landfill. I don't want to use metal as it gets hot and the plants roots cook, if I had a copper pan I'd probably use it to cook with.

I guess I'll have to keep an eye out at the local household auction as well as charity shops and car boots. I like to have lots of pots and tubs as I rotate them through the year, theres the winter/spring ones with bulbs and things like pansies and cyclamen, then theres the early summer ones, then the late summer ones.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Feb-2019 10:57 Message #4736294
I know what I meant to say, B&M have got half whisky barrels for £24:99, which is half the price of other garden centres that I've seen, I'm thinking of making a pond in one.
Female
happywalker  Female  Dorset 28-Feb-2019 12:11 Message #4736300
Try your local council tip/recycling centre as many of them have an area set aside for the public to leave things which could be re-used/recycled etc. Many used to let anyone take such items for free, but most now charge a small amount, but still worth a look. In Poole the council sort such items and take them to a large warehouse which is open to the public on Saturdays for them to purchase anything which takes their fancy. Plant pots (especially at this time of year) are always there, but are also popular.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Feb-2019 18:57 Message #4736323
Ours don't do that, they won't let you take stuff that you could use, even when its fire wood, if they see you they tell you you're stealing. Its a a shame because otherwise we have brilliant waste and recycling services here.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 2-Mar-2019 10:02 Message #4736372
Hi WH ... what about those huge plastic gardeners tub things with the handles on them?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Mar-2019 11:04 Message #4736373
Because I'm trying not use plastic, Clocky.

I did manage to get a couple of biggish pots that were half price at a local glory hole.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 3-Mar-2019 00:11 Message #4736413
Ah ha 'hen - a perennial problem - the compromise between having a container light enough to move around easily but heavy enough not to get up and go for a wander whenever a brisk breeze pops up from a particular direction.

There are timbers around that resist rotting better than some others, but as you've probably already discovered, they don't come cheap - even if they come at all, fashioned into a suitable form. I accept that wood is going to rot eventually however, and for the most part I'm with OnlineMSE - pallet wood is one of my favourite materials - even though to sell the idea to 'er indoors', it was necessary to apply a bit of 'spin' and refer to it as 'Lithuanian Larch'.

With some of my bigger containers (I'm thinking a couple of feet across and more) before filling them, I put them onto a 'dolly' made from marine-grade plywood attached to large castors obtained from the likes of 'the middle of lidl' for less than a fiver for four. Mind you, 'tis a sound tactic to plan the moving of such so that you can squirt a little WD-40 or similar on the wheels a day or so before 'the move'.

Being anti-plastic (aren't we all, but if they're still around they may as well be put to good use) you might like to think about using the plastic pot as a former (or mould) around which is applied a mixture of cement and peat (if that's a material acceptable to you). Leaving the plastic pot within gives a cleanable surface when re-potting time comes around and the 'peaty' exterior does weather well fairly quickly dependent upon the season.

I've also got a bird-bath that I moulded upon the lid of a wok, but knowing that I wanted to return said lid to its intended purpose, I built the cement up in layers and incorporated some otherwise redundant chicken-wire type netting. Not quite as good as a pond, but with the occasional visiting grandchild in mind, the bird bath was the safer bet - and the birds are really not that fussy - the youngsters do delight in seeing the blackbirds splash around; likewise, it does me no harm to see the youngsters giggling.

'Bit of shame really that attaching photos to MSE posts is not an option - but who knows - if I really put my mind to it . . .
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Mar-2019 11:43 Message #4736420
My carpentry isn't very good, I can bash together a compost bin from old pallets, although I was lucky enough to get a couple that had had paving slabs in them and were already the right size and shape, the nice men laying the slabs over the road even carried it over and up the garden for me.

I'm trying to be peat free and not use cement either, another material in common use that causes massive environmental damage.

I find having large pots on feet to allow proper drainage allows me to get the sack truck underneath, so moving is quite easy.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »