Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

So next week

we may have

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Feb-2019 18:55 Message #4736250
Snow! We're doomed, I tell you doomed.

Some of my fruit trees are starting to blossom, so if it gets cold again there will be no fruit.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 27-Feb-2019 19:09 Message #4736252
I know nothing about gardening or nature other than the visual aspect, but some gardening bloke on the telly today talked about how the trees and plants should be ok with this unseasonable warm weather...he talked about how 'they know' it's still only February...I liked that idea, that nature knows the seasons and months.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 27-Feb-2019 20:03 Message #4736258
Everything is shooting out now it will be a disaster if we do get snow . I really hope not , as I dont want to go through last years episodes again.
Female
BunnyGirl  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Feb-2019 08:05 Message #4736274
You my be right WH as today's weather is drab and overcast and may even rain.

Boohoo ha ha
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 28-Feb-2019 08:49 Message #4736279
Was foggy & almost mizzling here early this morning, but the sun is coming up now.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 28-Feb-2019 08:55 Message #4736280
The past few mornings have been veery foggy but that's often a sign of a good day to come. The media love a bit of doom mongering whether it's warning of several feet of snow, the big freeze or a water shortage due to the hottest summer ever.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Feb-2019 11:23 Message #4736298
Whatever it says in mums daily express we get the opposite, they predict a BBQ summer and its a washout, they predict a mild winter and we freeze.

The warning of snow came on the longer range bit of the weather forecast after the news, so it wasn't really a media doom mongering thing. snow at this time of year isn't unusual, we're more likely to have snow at easter than xmas.

I do think nature knows what time of year it is, length of day and night is a big clue, but it can't protect its blossom against frost, if blossom gets frosted then fruit won't set. A tree can live with no fruit for a couple of years as they're long lived and as long as they produce enough fruit some years to have a chance of reproduction they're happy, but I'm not, I want some damsons.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 28-Feb-2019 20:20 Message #4736328
And I want some apricots WH. The tree I bought was advertised as suitable for the South of England - but this year it is in flower already. Last year it came into flower just in time for the Beast for the East.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »