Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

It's a gas!

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 27-Feb-2019 11:00 Message #4736233
I was reading about six people taken to hospital after a suspected gas blast. We don't have any gas supplied where I live but I wouldn't want it as it seems messier and more dangerous than electricity.

Do you trust gas? Do you prefer gas to cook with?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Feb-2019 11:22 Message #4736235
Yes I do prefer a gas hob, its so much more controlable that electric, I have gas central heating and hot water too, its much more reliable than electricity, especially around here where we get so many power cuts. Gas is safe as long as people get thier appliances checked regularly and by a qualified engineer there should be no problem. Don't forget peple get killed and injured by electricity too, I nearly got badly injured once when I lightbulb exploded due to water damage from a leaking flat roof, it was the first sign of a leak too, we were sat at the dining table eating and shards of fine flying glass flew across the room and into our dinner.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 27-Feb-2019 12:01 Message #4736239
No gas down our lane... I didnt like it years ago when at my previous home., and would never have it again by choice.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 27-Feb-2019 12:05 Message #4736241
gas is relatively safe...its the people trying to by-pass the meter that aren't !
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 27-Feb-2019 14:30 Message #4736245
Although I prefer cooking on gas I'm not keen on having a gas supply to older buildings. I think it's more likely to deteriorate unnoticed than electricity.
A gas leak can be dangerous to health as well as being a fire or explosion risk. Gas appliances can prove fatal if they produce carbon monoxide inside the building.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 27-Feb-2019 18:40 Message #4736248
TSW, why would a gas supply to an older building be more likely to deteriorate than to a new building, how old is old anyway? Carbon monoxide meters are quite cheap and people should have them in the same way they should have smoke alarms, gas shouldn't be danergous is the appliances are properly fitted and seviced.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 27-Feb-2019 20:25 Message #4736263
I hated it when I only had an electric standalone cooker.
Give me a gas hob any day. But an electric fan oven is better for baking.

Natural gas is odourless so for safety since it's been supplied to properties an odourant has been added to give it it's distinctive smell so you know it's gas.
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 27-Feb-2019 22:38 Message #4736268
gas hob for cooking. Especially when it is used for single person meals.
for baking and roasting I prefer electric in a fan assisted oven..

I am in a routine to check that the gas is off before I go out of the kitchen after washing up and cleaning the cooker.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 28-Feb-2019 08:30 Message #4736276
That sounds like OCD. lol
It'll be light switches or checking the iron's unplugged next !!
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 28-Feb-2019 09:08 Message #4736282
A fair question wonderoushen as the age of the property makes no difference only the age of the energy installation.

I work in the property market and property rentals. Apart from properties with new installations almost every one inspected for safety requires some work if it has a supply of gas. Ventilation problems and small leaks are commonplace and you are right that carbon momoxide meters are cheap but very few properties have them. We insist on meters being fitted and also smoke alarms which are also cheap but people just don't bother.
Boilers are often well overdue for a service and they have a build up of sludge and limescale in the system. The boilers can be very noisy and the necessity for pipework around the house for gas central heating can lead to leaks.

Although any system will be fine if correctly installed and serviced regularly but when this doesn't happen the gas system deteriorates quickly and becomes dangerous more so than the electric systems.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 28-Feb-2019 12:32 Message #4736303
All according to whether you want to stick your head in the oven I suppose. Somehow electric is not the same.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Feb-2019 18:55 Message #4736322
You can't kill yourself with natural gas the way you could with the old town gas, theres been that tale going round for decades about a bloke who tried to kill himself by sticking his head in the oven and got so fed up with waiting that he lit a fag and blew himself up, I'm sure its apochryphal.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 28-Feb-2019 20:25 Message #4736330
I have always cooked with gas, except when I house-sat for a friend many years ago. I didn't manage to have a cooked meal that wasn't burnt. I just couldn't get the hang of it.

The other reason I prefer gas is the cost, approximately 1/4 that of the equivalent amount of electricity.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Mar-2019 11:09 Message #4736352
I can't be doing with the rings on old style electric cookers, they always end up wonky and bent and don't heat evenly and I'm unsure about halogen hobs, I've heard very mixed reports about them, with people either loving them or hating them because they fiind it hard to control the heat and burn things. Don't you have to have pans with a particular sort of bottom to go on them too?

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 1-Mar-2019 11:28 Message #4736353
As someone who has recently started to cook with gas after about 25 years of using electric, I can say it's absolutely great.
I wish I had changed over much earlier - cooking with electricity seems to dry stuff out and leaves food baked, whereas gas seems to leave food more moist (that probably sounds totally bonkers, but I know what I mean).
It's probably the pyromaniac in me, but I find it pleasing to see a dancing blue flame under a saucepan...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Mar-2019 18:39 Message #4736364
Electric cooking is a dry heat whereas gas is moister, you particularly notice it when baking, elecctric ovens are great for things like sponge cakes, but I don't think they're as good for roasting meat.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Mar-2019 20:31 Message #4736369
Here at the farm, I use a ceramic hob with halogen rings and its wonderful. Its about 30 years old , its great for top cooking and so easy to clean. Now at my house there is a very modern ceramic hob with halogen rings and its nowhere near as efficient as this old one here. We also have an AGA which is oil fired but I have never used it even once. It only about 3 years old but after reading the leaflet, its so time consuming - I just dont have time to keep changing the over the shelf-plates every so often from hot to cold etc... really complicated. So we also have an electric F oven ( its Dutch) which is great for everything. I also have a little table-top oven (Lidls) just for heating small items - pies etc, as well as the microwave combi. Have a little infra red grill & a G Foreman grill. I use everything, and I dont miss gas at all. I would never go back to gas.I think its too messy in the kitchen and also, I dont mind cleaning ceramic hobs at all as they are so easy, whereas cleaning all round those gas rings is a real chore.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Mar-2019 11:35 Message #4736376
I love cooking with an Aga, its is a bit of a thing to master, Aga ovens do the best bread ever and pizza's, theres just something about the heat they produce that makes everything taste so good. I've always just moved pans around the stove plates on a Aga to get the right temperature. I've cooked on both oil fired and solid fuel stoves and I prefer the solid fuel ones to the oil fired ones to cook on but not to clean out. When we had no mains gas I cooked on calor gas which was just as good apart from the time it ran out half way through me makiing a risotto, but that was my fault for getting how many cannisters we had left mixed up.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »